Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 160364 13th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tax Refund using form P50
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:03 PM
    Tax Refund using form P50 13th Jul 18 at 9:03 PM
    After being made redundant I have decided to retire early,the payment was just over £100k taxable income. With my redundancy money I maxed out this years Sipp and was given a paye code of 3075l. I completed form p50 to get a tax refund as I wouldnít be working again (HMRC estimate is Iím owed just over £20k refund). Iíve now been told I cannot get a refund until next years and must complete a self assessment because earning this year were just over £100k. Can anyone confirm this is right as I canít see anywhere on line there is a cap to the p50 form. And if I do have to wait till next year does anyone know when I would likely to receive the money. Any help would be appreciated.(Ive posted this on the redundancy forum as well)
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 13th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    I've no idea why you cannot make a provisional claim now but if you have taxable income in excess of £100k then you would be required to file a Self Assessment return (irrespective of any refund you did or didn't claim now).

You can usually file a return on 6 April with refunds being received a few days later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,340Posts Today

7,143Users online

Martin's Twitter