Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blulu
    • By Blulu 13th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 5,659Posts
    • 98,787Thanks
    Blulu
    A thought...
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    A thought... 13th Jul 18 at 8:43 PM
    Is the Take a Break Puzzle Magazine thread still needed?

They've changed the format now. We don't have to log in anymore to enter. We fill in our details and enter each one as separate competitions. All the info posted in each thread is the same as what would be posted if done in the standard posting format on the main board. So I'm wondering, is it time to post these comps directly to the main board, and abandon the thread?

If we do change, these are some of the advantages that I've thunked up so far: No more having the thread moved to GO. It would make it easier for newbies. No more endless notifications for new posts and chat.

Discuss

Blu X
    Comping fairy fly to me. Make my bells go tinkle.
    Get your dust out for the lads, and let me have a sprinkle.
Page 4
    • lyns1986
    • By lyns1986 24th Jul 18, 10:44 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 48,515 Thanks
    lyns1986
    vote to keep! so much handier keeping them together
    • missprice
    • By missprice 25th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 109,618 Thanks
    missprice
    Agree with a pp. Whoever edits the thread (and sends some reminders to normal posters) may find it impossible if each mag goes on its own thread main board.

And as I am one who buy the magazines and posts answers (with occasional reminders ) I would be pretty miffed if someone just posted it randomly one month.
    I go to no small effort some months to find and buy one mag, the other is on subscription at over 20 a year. Some random posting in good intent would probably derail me and I would stop bothering. Maybe not the first time it happened but for sure a second time would do it.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 !!!128549;
    • sofieellis
    • By sofieellis 28th Jul 18, 10:33 AM
    • 534 Posts
    • 9,229 Thanks
    sofieellis
    I'm another vote for keeping it the way it is. I subscribe to the thread and click on an email link every few days and do whatever posts I haven't seen. I'd never be able to keep on top of these if they were spread all over the main board.

I also agree with others who've pointed out that it would be almost impossible to work out if every magazine is being covered/missed/posted by seeral different people.
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 10th Aug 18, 8:46 AM
    • 4,974 Posts
    • 352,398 Thanks
    slbhill
    I'm late to the party but please please please keep it the way it is. I can see the benefits of moving it but to my mind the advantages of the way it is are much greater. Partly that's a selfish view - I'm rubbish at keeping up with the main board these days but the regular updates I subscribe to from that thread mean I mostly manage those comps at least.

But also - because they're all together it's more likely that someone (ok mostly one-eye) will notice if one is missing. It means that (although it's annoying getting bumps for basic questions) the onus isn't necessarily on the comp posters to answer the same question again and again. It also lets everyone stay up to date with any changes to the sites or times the site is down without having 20 threads all bumped for it.
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 10th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 9,382 Posts
    • 327,680 Thanks
    BlueBella
    I vote to keep the threads too.
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

I never knew how strong i was until being strong was my only choice....Don't Judge My Path If You Haven't Walked My Journey....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,665Posts Today

4,885Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin