Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Famo
    • By Famo 13th Jul 18, 5:03 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Famo
    Relocating from London.
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:03 PM
    Relocating from London. 13th Jul 18 at 5:03 PM
    Hi all looking for some advice.

I have a small flat in London which I own outright. I want to own my own freehold house 3/4 bed ultimately.

I have realised that I would need to move out of London to achieve this.

I have somewhat decided that Nottingham would be a good destination ?! Any opinions welcome.

I'm just struggling on how to make the transition. I can't get a clear idea how to relocate logistically.

I am currently working 6 days a week.

I want to sell my flat and be chain free as I've been caught up in that mess before.

I am hoping to achieve around 275k being optimistic.

Apparently it's not possible to buy without physically viewing a property and renting can be difficult via this route also.

Any pointers on how to accomplish this from those who have been in this position! or those who just know how this is done ?

Kind regards.
Page 1
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 13th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    Most people start their relocation by (or because of) finding a new job and the new location. YMMV

Also it's often wise to live a while in a city/area before you decide to buy a property there. Since you are mortgage free, it's very doable in your case to rent for say 6 months, get a feel of the area and only then commit to buy a property.

Look for suitable properties in Nottingham online, book some viewings online/phone for a specific day, take a day off work and do the viewings. If you like something make an offer on it. Book a removal service and on the move in date move.

Why on earth would you even consider buying without physically viewing the property even if it was possible? It's not like it's on another continent...

You can get a 3bed freehold house in some parts of London.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 13th Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    • 9,313 Posts
    • 14,360 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    Nottingham is a great place to live. I presume you can work your current role from there? I plan to do something similar but I know Notts, Leices, Derby so it's a little easier for me. I will go from a two bed flat to a detached house with garden and plenty left over. Good luck!
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 18, 5:24 PM
    • 16,164 Posts
    • 44,534 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Why Nottingham specifically?

Do you know the city? Do you know people there?
    • Famo
    • By Famo 13th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Famo
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    I have been reading about various areas and have thought of Northampton/Birmingham/Newcastle (I have lived in Newcastle for 2 years, Studying). Sal, 3 bed house in London ? Where. I don't know anybody in Nottingham. I want to make a fresh start as I am somewhat distant from my remaining family. I am hoping that if I get a decent offer I can take a chance on the work front as even if I'm off for at worst a year I can weather the storm.

Worried Jim....Derby seems good value although Nottingham perhaps a little more desirable.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 16,164 Posts
    • 44,534 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    Good idea to suss out different areas of Nottingham though.

I'm guessing it's a countrywide thing to flog off the "duds" in any area to those that don't know it - as most of the "locals" will know where to avoid if they can manage it.

Remembering when I moved here and there were variously attempts to flog me off:
    - a house with goodness only knows how many potential boundary disputes lined-up waiting to surface and at risk of flooding
    - a distinctly overpriced house in a somewhat "precarious" location

for instance.

Two incomer friends of mine got flogged houses with Japanese Knotweed in the garden (one had a survey/one didnt - but even the one that had a surveyor didnt get told about it).
    • rockabillygirl
    • By rockabillygirl 14th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    rockabillygirl
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    Hi. I sold up in London and moved to Nottingham to buy mortgage free. I would suggest renting for a while to get a feel for different areas first. Good luck!
    It will all be ok in the end - if it's not ok, then it's not the end!
    Saving for Xmas 2018 #27. :
    Sealed pot challenge #32
    Mortgage paid off.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 14th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:03 PM
    I have been reading about various areas and have thought of Northampton/Birmingham/Newcastle (I have lived in Newcastle for 2 years, Studying). Sal, 3 bed house in London ? Where. I don't know anybody in Nottingham. I want to make a fresh start as I am somewhat distant from my remaining family. I am hoping that if I get a decent offer I can take a chance on the work front as even if I'm off for at worst a year I can weather the storm.

Worried Jim....Derby seems good value although Nottingham perhaps a little more desirable.
    Originally posted by Famo
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E87490&minBed rooms=3&maxPrice=280000&propertyTypes=detached%2Cs emi-detached%2Cterraced&primaryDisplayPropertyType=hou ses&includeSSTC=false

Now I didn't say they are the best of properties or in top areas...

But you might want to consider higher budget by taking a small mortgage and if you are concerned about income, let some spare rooms to lodgers to supplement your income. You didn't mention partner/spouse and/or kids, 3 bed house is overkill for single person, maybe pass through 2bed until your family gets bigger and then up-size based on schools etc.

There are options if you want to buy in London witch such a large equity in your current property. On the other hand if you simply want a change of "scenery" go right ahead.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jul 18, 12:07 PM
    • 16,739 Posts
    • 42,233 Thanks
    elsien
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:07 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:07 PM
    Three bedroom isn't neccessarily over kill for a single person. I fill mine quite adequately and occasionally wonder how families manage to fit themselves in. Two bedrooms are harder to sell on, being neither one thing or the other.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 16,164 Posts
    • 44,534 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Three bedroom isn't neccessarily over kill for a single person. I fill mine quite adequately and occasionally wonder how families manage to fit themselves in. Two bedrooms are harder to sell on, being neither one thing or the other.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Agreed.

I have 2 bedrooms and the sitting room is the size of a through lounge.

But I'd like another room (whether bedroom or reception room) and a conservatory and a garage (or similar) for storage.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 14th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 16,739 Posts
    • 42,233 Thanks
    elsien
    Personally I'm still hankering after a walled garden and a turret.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Grumpelstiltskin
    • By Grumpelstiltskin 14th Jul 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,253 Posts
    • 2,354 Thanks
    Grumpelstiltskin
    You must research and visit before you even think about moving to a city.

Nothing wrong with Nottingham area BUT there are some no go areas.

What job do you hope to get?

Nottingham has 2 universities and a number of companies in the financial sector.

Start by looking at news sites for Nottingham ( BBC etc ) for a few weeks you will soon get an idea of the area. Local newspaper website also Nottingham Evening Post and West Bridgeford Wire come to mind.

It is only a couple of hours from London by train so surely you can get a day off, if not then forget moving. ( Oh and look at Megabus site, they do trains London to Nottingham )
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jul 18, 12:27 PM
    • 16,164 Posts
    • 44,534 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Personally I'm still hankering after a walled garden and a turret.
    Originally posted by elsien
    With you on that - I'd love a walled garden. You can keep the turret - no head for heights here
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 14th Jul 18, 12:47 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 866 Thanks
    AFF8879
    Isn!!!8217;t Nottingham consistently topping rankings for the worst crime hotspots? There is probably a reason properties are so cheap. There will undoubtedly be some nice areas but then you probably are not going to get the value you want.

I guess I am struggling with the notion of someone willing to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property which will be their home, in a city they have never lived or even visited, without viewing You also need to research careers as you will unlikely earn anything near what you can get in London unless you are near minimum wage.

Take a week off work and make the trip up there, get a feel for the area. That should help you get some perspective as to whether you could see yourself living there.
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 14th Jul 18, 3:02 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    The take a week off and look around is a good idea as a starting point. When we relocated back to Yorkshire from London after 11 years away we did exactly that - drove around the areas we were considering, ate in the pubs, looked at where the shops were, thought about schools etc. It made then online looking at houses to rent much easier.

+1 for rent first then buy btw. Buying basically sight unseen or at best a quick one off visit isn't smart. Plus then you've got time to get a good local solicitor for your conveyancing, you have time to seek out local opinion about the EA's (who gets a quick sale through, who overprices, who takes photos with a fish eye lense so expectations don't match reality, etc)

Good luck with your move.
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 2,270 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I'd check out places where you'd easily find work first. You may be able to buy a property outright but you still have many bills to pay each month.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 16,164 Posts
    • 44,534 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Re going for a visit to have a looksee in advance at an area one proposes to move to - one thing I would say (from my own experience) that it's a good idea (if you can manage it) to take a good friend with you for help with sussing the area out.

It's another pair of "eyes and ears" to notice things/discuss things with on the spot that a single person doesn't have (unlike a couple).

In my own case - I rented a self-catering place for a week to do a joint have a holiday/check the place out and I did offer for my best friend & her husband to come with me and regard it as a free holiday for themselves (as I wouldnt have allowed them to cover any of the cost of the place - as I was going to be there anyway). Unfortunately, she was too ill to do so.

But, if you have a good friend, then I suggest you make that offer to them and take them with you for a free holiday if you can. It's a better idea than long-distance phone calls to discuss at a distance.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 14th Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    diggingdude

Originally posted by Famo
    Having lived and worked in Northampton I personally wouldn't recommend it, certainly research t before you move there
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jul 18, 7:24 PM
    • 25,567 Posts
    • 93,568 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I think you need to know what sort of area within any given city would appeal, or whether you really want city life at all.Yes, there are 'no-go' areas in most large conurbations, but the atmosphere of many 'nice' areas varies widely too.

I don't know Nottingham, but I'm familiar with parts of Birmingham, because my daughter lives there. She's always gone for the more up-market parts, but some of those were like living in a small town and really quiet. Now, she's opted for a more trendy, cosmopolitan location with a bit of a 'buzz' to it, which is much more like city living as I understand it..

If I were relocating to the Midlands, I'd choose a smaller place with countryside easily accessible, but that's just me. I don't get a sense from your posts of what you want from a city, besides the possibilty of good employment and better value than in London.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Jul 18, 12:00 AM
    • 15,384 Posts
    • 131,363 Thanks
    zagubov
    I've rarely been to Northampton or Nottingham and it was decades ago, but although they're similar sizes, I came away with a strong impression that one was a big town and the other was a (modestly-sized) city. I'm a city boy and I liked Nottingham. The big student population keeps it cheap and lively, but I think some areas had crime problems.

They are cheap as chips to live in, and are under-appreciated IMHO.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,197Posts Today

7,298Users online

Martin's Twitter