Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 13th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Jo101
    Timeline for obtaining Grant of Probate
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    Timeline for obtaining Grant of Probate 13th Jul 18 at 12:42 PM
    Here is the timeline for how long it took to obtain the grant, in my case.

18 June 2018 Sent off completed probate forms to London Probate Department, High Holborn

04 July 2018 Received oath and took it to a solicitor's office for swearing and signing

05 July 2018 Sent oath back to London Probate Department, High Holborn

13 July 2018 Received Grant of Probate
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 13th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10,166 Posts
    • 11,442 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 13th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    Mine was similar, 2-3 weeks from delivery of forms to receiving oath, less than 2 weeks after swearing oath (done at the Winchester probate offices)
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 13th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    It also would be interesting to see how much the longer timelines are when there is more than one executor wishing to act.
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 13th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Jo101
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    Margot123 Just to add, there were 2 executors in my case (myself and my father).
    • badger09
    • By badger09 13th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 5,524 Thanks
    badger09
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 3:48 PM
    Here's mine (co-executor reserved):

21st May Probate application & IHT 400 etc posted to Birmingham Registry & HMRC

8th June phone call to HMRC confirmed IHT 421 (0 IHT due) electronically to Birmingham 6th June

15th June, I persuaded Birmingham to email me the oath but then couldn't get appointment with solicitor until 2 July (I was away then solicitor was away)

2 July Oath sworn & posted to Birmingham

13 July Grant of Probate received
    • redpete
    • By redpete 14th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 4,268 Posts
    • 3,793 Thanks
    redpete
    • 14th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 3:29 PM
    22nd June started onine process for IHT and Probate submissions. 2 executors' details submitted, 2 others notified as holding reserved rights, no IHT due.

30th June posted signed copies of will and death cert.

12th July received Grant of Representation.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 14th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 11,320 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 14th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 4:32 PM
    I'm not sure of the exact dates but it was six weeks between filling in the online form and receiving the grant. I went to Bristol probate office. As long as the estate is not complicated and you have a reasonable level of education it really is a lot easier than people imagine.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 14th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 14th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 6:04 PM
    Is the oath now done online?
    I had heard this was being mooted, and would save a considerable amount of time.
    • lulu650
    • By lulu650 15th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 973 Thanks
    lulu650
    • 15th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    • 15th Jul 18, 10:09 AM
    Both myself and brother were named executors on a family member's will. Brother took on all probate work and sorting through any paperwork. Myself and husband took on a lot of clearing the house and all necessary repairs prior to selling.

Probate took just over 4 weeks around 3 years ago.
    Last edited by lulu650; 15-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
    Saving money right, left and centre
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 15th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    Is the oath now done online?
    I had heard this was being mooted, and would save a considerable amount of time.
    Originally posted by Margot123

Looks like they are starting this as part of a fully online service.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/personal-applicants-can-now-apply-for-probate-online

Sounds like you initially have to talk it through with the helpline to be allowed to do it
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 15th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Margot123
    Looks like they are starting this as part of a fully online service.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/personal-applicants-can-now-apply-for-probate-online

Sounds like you initially have to talk it through with the helpline to be allowed to do it
    Originally posted by Flugelhorn
    It's a good idea as sometimes just getting the appointment to swear the oath can take weeks. I recall, on one occasion, it took me nearly 3 weeks as the only local 'commissioner of oaths' was on his summer holidays.
    • chiny
    • By chiny 18th Jul 18, 4:54 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    chiny
    I went to Bristol probate office.
    Originally posted by Hermia
    This was a while back ? I've been told that it was flooded a year ago and is still out of action.

I had to use the Cardiff office and although they only took the few weeks that others report, they found fault with the will and I had to get that sorted with the will-writing solicitor and another 6 weeks passed. Interest on the IHT...
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 18th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 38,897 Posts
    • 35,732 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    This was a while back ? I've been told that it was flooded a year ago and is still out of action.
    Originally posted by chiny
    DH says it has now re-opened (although I can't find confirmation of that online).
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 19th Jul 18, 9:23 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    Margot123
    Has anyone experienced applying for Probate where the property is subject to mortgage/equity release?

Wondering if anything like that can affect the timeline for application ie does the mortgage company have to approve/supply information prior to application?
    • SevenOfNine
    • By SevenOfNine 19th Jul 18, 4:28 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,379 Thanks
    SevenOfNine
    Has anyone experienced applying for Probate where the property is subject to mortgage/equity release?

Wondering if anything like that can affect the timeline for application ie does the mortgage company have to approve/supply information prior to application?
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Mortgage with Tesco on a property we had to sell 2 1/2 years ago. Tesco just said they'd freeze the interest & mortgage payments & let them know when LoA was granted (DiY, no solicitor for that except for swearing the oath).

Nothing was required from Tesco as far as LoA was concerned, though we also put the house on the market as "subject to probate" so there was a little bit of communication between Tesco & the house sale solicitor regarding that.

Timeline was:
    28 Feb 2016 - LoA application hand delivered to Oxford probate office.
    16 March - House put on the market
    14 April - LoA arrived dated 13 April.
    17 May - Contracts exchanged
    20 May - Completion

I thought 6 weeks for LoA wasn't unreasonable. Similar timescale this year with FiL, home owned outright, so doesn't seem to make a difference.

Maybe timescales are worse during summer holidays when staff are away, or winter when maybe there are more deaths?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
    • Marosol
    • By Marosol 8th Aug 18, 7:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marosol
    Has anyone dealt with Birmingham Probate Registry recently? How backlogged are they? Are they ok in general or is there something to be aware of?
    Any information will be most appreciated x
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Aug 18, 12:25 AM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 3,642 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Has anyone dealt with Birmingham Probate Registry recently? How backlogged are they? Are they ok in general or is there something to be aware of?
    Any information will be most appreciated x
    Originally posted by Marosol
    How long is a piece of string? Utterly frustrating though it may be the time taken is simply a lottery. What others have experienced is no guide whatsoever to future performance. A completely pointless thread! Sorry but that is the bottom line.
    • Marosol
    • By Marosol 10th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Marosol
    Just a quick update-
    Sent application on 31/07 and today (10/08) we received an oath to swear, so 8 working days so far.
    Fingers crossed it wont take too long from the moment they receive an oath to send us the grant
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin