Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 13th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    • 793Posts
    • 190Thanks
    Mishomeister
    Any way I can force TomTom to update my address?
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:43 AM
    Any way I can force TomTom to update my address? 13th Jul 18 at 11:43 AM
    Council has renamed out property address in October 2016.

Although with some companies taking more than the others to get our address updated on their systems all the companies got thee within a maximum of a year or so.

All but not the laughing stock called TomTom.

Me and my wife are really fed up having to come out on the main road to help all the delivery drivers from Amazon ETC using TomTom and being unable to find us.

My wife has almost missed on a life supporting medicine delivery as she was unable to come out to the main road as she was unwell and with two kids.

I have already complained to TomTom about half a year ago or so and provided them with the correct address details, but it seams they just don't give a ...

Is there a way for me to force them to update their maps to reflect our new address change?

A possible threat by court action?
    Last edited by Mishomeister; 13-07-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    Originally posted by Mishomeister
    Under what law?
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 13th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    It may have been updated onto their current maps, but it is a slow process (my son's new build house that he moved into 2 years ago still isn't recognised on most sat-navs or google maps) but it doesn't matter anyway if if the drivers haven't updated their own systems, which many never do.

I have an old TomTom that I occasionally use which hasn't had a map update in about 7 years (and can't because the current maps are not compatible with it). Still works fine for 99% of addresses though.

My other car has a built in system, and that hasn't been updated in 3 years, and probably won't be before I trade it in.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 13-07-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jul 18, 12:00 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Whilst it's frustrating, I can't see how TomTom have any obligation to update their systems to reflect a change to the wording of your address. Even when they do update their systems, how do you ensure that every satnav owner installs the software update that will follow? I have a TomTom satnav that I occasionally update (maybe once a year?) and a built-in Toyota one that I've never updated and never will, so any changes to either of those databases would pass me by.

As for court action, on what basis?

For deliveries of things you've ordered, can't you continue to use the old address for the delivery of those transactions?
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 13th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:11 PM
    Whilst it's frustrating, I can't see how TomTom have any obligation to update their systems to reflect a change to the wording of your address. Even when they do update their systems, how do you ensure that every satnav owner installs the software update that will follow? I have a TomTom satnav that I occasionally update (maybe once a year?) and a built-in Toyota one that I've never updated and never will, so any changes to either of those databases would pass me by.

As for court action, on what basis?

For deliveries of things you've ordered, can't you continue to use the old address for the delivery of those transactions?
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

I update my own TomTom whenever every update comes out, around every 3 months and there is still no address on it.

Google maps have updated it almost immediately.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 13th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck

There isn't the old address anywhere left. All the road signings have changed to new a long time ago.
    All the retailers websites only can find our new, current address.
    Last edited by Mishomeister; 13-07-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:35 PM
    I update my own TomTom whenever every update comes out, around every 3 months and there is still no address on it.
    Yes, but you can't compel everyone else to do the same so even if TomTom update their database, it's of no use to you if, say, half of all TomTom owners don't install updates.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 5,188 Posts
    • 31,128 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:36 PM
    I doubt that my sat nav, now retired over three years will have you house on it, but the replacement that was updated last week will?

I don't think TomTom are to blame.

As for my life dependent heart pills, I collect from my local pharmacy and continue to do so. This way, when I have the flu I can get the prescription pretty quick, rather than being at deaths door and waiting for some delivery!

Tell me when your court action starts, so I can book time off to be in the public gallery!
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    There isn't the old address anywhere left. All the road signings have changed to new a long time ago.
    All the retailers websites only can find our new, current address.
    Don't most websites allow you to manually enter an address? Amazon does for a start. There is a gap in house numbers in my street and if I select my postcode, I can still enter the number of a house that doesn't exist on the list. I can also enter whatever the road name is, too.

If I were you, I would enter something like "123 Smith Street, formerly 123 Jones Street" in the first line of the address field. Any satnav users not seeing the new address would perhaps try entering the old one and get to you.

To answer your original question: No, there's nothing you can do to force TomTom to recognise your changed address. They are a private company, not the state's address database.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 13th Jul 18, 1:07 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    Why would I deliberately input the wrong delivery address just under the assumption the delivery driver will be using a TomTom.

Even if I did so the driver would still struggle to find us as the signs show a different street name and our house number is different.

The issue is not the drivers no updating the maps frequently enough it's TomTom who do no update their databases for year however pretend they release new maps every 3 months
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jul 18, 1:11 PM
    • 42,022 Posts
    • 17,462 Thanks
    macman
    TomTom do not make their own maps, they are provided by TeleAtlas, a sister company. Have you tried reporting it to them?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 13th Jul 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,067 Posts
    • 2,754 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Why would I deliberately input the wrong delivery address just under the assumption the delivery driver will be using a TomTom.
    Because you want your goods to arrive? Isn't that why you asked the question in the first place? If you don't want potential solutions, why are you here?

Even if I did so the driver would still struggle to find us as the signs show a different street name and our house number is different.
    So put both in. "123 Smith Street, commonly on satnavs as 321 Jones Street."

The issue is not the drivers no updating the maps frequently enough it's TomTom who do no update their databases for year however pretend they release new maps every 3 months
    Only partly. Assume TomTom update their maps today, how do you ensure that everyone who might possibly use a TomTom satnav to find your house applies the update? What next? Court action against a DPD driver who's failed to update his device?

You don't seem to be accepting that TomTom are a private company, you hold no power over them and they can choose how to operate their address database and it is you who needs to find a workaround solution so that YOUR choice of delivery agents deliver YOUR goods to YOUR address.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 13th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    [QUOTE=Aylesbury Duck;74524334]

So put both in. "123 Smith Street, commonly on satnavs as 321 Jones Street."
    QUOTE]

Whenever there is an option or a space there to put additional info I do it.
    However most often there is only possible to put one address.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 13th Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 5,028 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Council has renamed out property address in October 2016.

Although with some companies taking more than the others to get our address updated on their systems all the companies got thee within a maximum of a year or so.

All but not the laughing stock called TomTom.

Me and my wife are really fed up having to come out on the main road to help all the delivery drivers from Amazon ETC using TomTom and being unable to find us.

My wife has almost missed on a life supporting medicine delivery as she was unable to come out to the main road as she was unwell and with two kids.

I have already complained to TomTom about half a year ago or so and provided them with the correct address details, but it seams they just don't give a ...

Is there a way for me to force them to update their maps to reflect our new address change?

Have you looked at the below legislation?

Satellite Navigation Correction Regulations Schedule 2, Part 4
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 13th Jul 18, 9:22 PM
    • 6,090 Posts
    • 12,950 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Have you looked at the below legislation?

Satellite Navigation Correction Regulations Schedule 2, Part 4
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    I like to think of myself as trusting, an optimist, a believer in the good of humanity.

But mostly Iím just gullible
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 14th Jul 18, 10:01 AM
    • 146 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    stragglebod
    Stop doing business with online stores who don't use competent delivery firms.
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 14th Jul 18, 10:54 AM
    • 728 Posts
    • 592 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    It's not really tomtoms fault, the council changed your address perhaps you should be complaining to them.
    • mksysb
    • By mksysb 14th Jul 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mksysb
    When you place an order, send them your latitude and longitude in the notes section.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 16th Jul 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4,103 Posts
    • 44,863 Thanks
    Barny1979
    The information for sat-navs is pulled from NSG info from individual council typically.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jul 18, 2:37 AM
    • 27,266 Posts
    • 10,991 Thanks
    forgotmyname

Google maps have updated it almost immediately.

I noticed google had removed Nottingham from their online map once, clicked the report problem on the map page and it got sorted within a few days.

Tell your delivery guys to use google maps? Your moaning about tomtom but what about garmin devices? What about co-pilot? and the many many other map apps and devices?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,435Posts Today

8,540Users online

Martin's Twitter