Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 13th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 57Posts
    • 10Thanks
    steveyme
    Surely untrue?: Virgin won't let me keep my number?!
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    Surely untrue?: Virgin won't let me keep my number?! 13th Jul 18 at 10:19 AM
    I'll keep this brief!:

- Had the same residential landline number for many years with Virgin
    - Switched to Virgin Business Broadband & Telephone account for 2 years, keeping number
    - Service much more expensive and offers nothing more than residential would to me
    - Contract expires and I ask to go back to a residential package
    - Told they can't and won't let me take my telephone number with me

I'm fuming! They never mentioned this when upselling me business services, now they are effectively trapping me. Can this even be true?! My business relies on this number.
Page 1
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 18, 10:29 AM
    • 10,701 Posts
    • 10,989 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:29 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:29 AM
    Can you transfer to another provider on a Business Account-Business Account basis? Pretty sure they have to let you port your number.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 13th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    steveyme
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:46 AM
    Thanks Cornu...

Just called Offcom who were mind blowingly amazing!! Got straight through and got solid, good advice. Well done to them.

They said Virgin are legally obliged to port my number out to another company, but can do as they please internally. I am going to get a price off BT, then threaten to leave Virgin if they do not let me downgrade and keep my number. Will report back in this thread.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:55 AM
    With a business account I think you get a better Service Level Agreement (fix it much quicker) and may pay for lost earnings
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 10,444 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:58 PM
    With a business account I think you get a better Service Level Agreement (fix it much quicker) and may pay for lost earnings
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    Very unlikely to get consequential loss cover given what VM charge, as that's pretty much unlimited liability.

Faster fix times and better call centre staff yes. You still won't get away from the dreadful VM backend systems in the Philippines where they haven't a clue about their own products and what can and cannot be done with them (though it will mainly be the installers that curse those, in my personal experience)..
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin