Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Paul Cullen
    • By Paul Cullen 13th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paul Cullen
    Student Maintenance Grant Parental contribution calculator
    • #1
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    Student Maintenance Grant Parental contribution calculator 13th Jul 18 at 8:39 AM
    Could anyone please help i am looking to calculate the amount of money I will need to save to top up my daughters grant next year for subsistence

    I understand the advice on the website and the calculator other than what they define as taxable income , the student loan advice line on the government website is useless and the advice is contradictory
    I essentially am trying to establish the definition they use for taxable income i.e. is it the gross salary earned by myself and my wife or is it the salary after tax allowances via tax code which is significantly different in our case nearly 19K different

    when I asked the student loan helpine I was met with "what is a tax code !" , then contradictory advice of first use the gross figure , then use the net figure and then use the gross figure again!

    The people answering the phones clearly have no clue , can anyone please advise so we can get our calculations correct on how much we need to save to support our daughter

    many Thanks
Page 1
    • _shel
    • By _shel 13th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,218 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    Gross salaries plus any other income
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    • 20,198 Posts
    • 33,469 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    Gross salaries plus if you receive any other benefit in kind eg company car/s they need including.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,703Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

  • It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book

  • Follow Martin