Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • booksandbacon
    • By booksandbacon 13th Jul 18, 7:55 AM
    • 30Posts
    • 89Thanks
    booksandbacon
    DMP Letters: how long to wait for a response?
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:55 AM
    DMP Letters: how long to wait for a response? 13th Jul 18 at 7:55 AM
    Hi everyone,

I sent letters to all our creditors at the weekend saying that we were seeking advice on our debts and could they please freeze the interest for 30 days etc, but havenít heard anything back yet, how long should I wait until I resend them? I sent an online message to one creditor as they didnít seem to have a contact address and they got back to me within 48 hours and were very helpful (Sunny Loans).

Iím thinking I just need to be patient and wait for the responses but Iím starting to feel anxious now
    Self-Managed DMP using NEDCAB, MSE Forums and True Grit
    Debt Balance: £36,527.98
    Savings: EF £2.94 I Car SF £0 I Gift SF £0 I F&F £0
Page 1
    • Suseka97
    • By Suseka97 13th Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    • 410 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Suseka97
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:01 AM
    Give it a bit more time - creditors are dealing with hundreds (if not more) letters at any given time. If you're concerned, why not ring them or use their online messaging services.
    LBM Apr13: 14 Creditors / £85k+ owed / £11k outstanding (3 x UE / 3 x outstanding)
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 13th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 12,681 Posts
    • 9,755 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:37 AM
    Don't expect prompt helpful replies. If you get them they're a bonus. Just concentrate on getting your strategy sorted out.
  • National Debtline
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:44 AM
    Hi there

Try not to worry, these things can take time. It is to be expected that sending an online message will generally be quicker than getting a response to a letter. As fatbelly says, concentrate on the best way to now deal with your debts.

If you'd like any advice on your options you can complete a statement of affairs (SOA) and post it back on here, you'll just need to use the format for MSE button. You'll find a SOA here http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • DMP_Tiger
    • By DMP_Tiger 13th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    DMP_Tiger
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    I sent letters to my 5 creditors at the end of May.

2 wrote back to me agreeing to a 30 day interest freeze. 3 didn't acknowledge my letter at all but looking at the accounts online, it looks as if they have not added any interest to date.

It is a worry when you haven't heard anything, but please don't stress about it - they may well have frozen interest but just haven't told you.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 13th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 15,251 Posts
    • 14,352 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 2:16 PM
    More often than not, they don't bother responding.

Don`t be hanging on waiting for replies, you may be waiting a long time.

As Fatbelly says, concentrate on the strategy you intend to initiate first.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

7,897Users online

Martin's Twitter