Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eastender
    • By Eastender 12th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 14Thanks
    Eastender
    Used Car Dealer refused repair - my options?
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:10 PM
    Used Car Dealer refused repair - my options? 12th Jul 18 at 10:10 PM
    Hello Folks,

Just bought a 09 Fiesta Auto with 3 month warranty built in, now driving home from the dealer I got a 'Transmission Fault service now' warning message on the screen which comes and goes. This wasn't seen on the short test drive. I think when you switch off the engine, it warning message appears.

Now the used car dealer, says it just a needs a service that I should arrange or it's a transmission fluid change needed, again I should arrange but its unlikely that. I actually bought this for my daughter who just passed her test. I have arranged a diagnostic check with a Ford dealer for 50.

What do you guys advise?
    Last edited by Eastender; 13-07-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Page 1
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 12th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 787 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:32 PM
    See what the diagnostic check says. Have you checked the auto fluid level; there is a dipstick for it if it is like the 07 fiesta?
    • reddwarf2002
    • By reddwarf2002 12th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    reddwarf2002
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    I think you've done the right thing in going directly to the dealership in this case. If Ford say it is transmission related fault and is going to cost quite a bit then I would take it up with the seller and reject the car. It's very unlikely that the seller will do the repair to a high enough standard (or even repair it) for you to be satisfied with it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Jul 18, 11:30 PM
    • 27,988 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:30 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:30 PM
    9 year old car to a main dealer. My guess is it needs a new gearbox which is 1 more than you paid for the car.

Gearbox has probably never seen an oil change.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • reddwarf2002
    • By reddwarf2002 12th Jul 18, 11:37 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    reddwarf2002
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:37 PM
    9 year old car to a main dealer. My guess is it needs a new gearbox which is 1 more than you paid for the car.

Gearbox has probably never seen an oil change.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

It's not about having the fault rectified by the main dealer. OP needs to get a diagnosis of the fault. If they can do it for 50 then I'd say it's worth it. On the other hand Ford may turn around and say that they can't say with certainty without removing the gearbox in which case OP can ask them not to go any further.

Since the problem is related to the gearbox then I'd say it's in OP's best interest to get it diagnosed properly before they are stuck with it.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 13th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 787 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    For 50 they will only stick a diagnostic tool in the ODB2 port and read off codes. That might be enough but often not the whole story.
    • Eastender
    • By Eastender 13th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Eastender
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:15 AM
    Sorry for the confusion, when I wrote the 'dealer' I meant the used car dealer which operates from 'Gumtree' where I bought the car, but they do have AA behind them and comes with 3 months engine and gearbox guarantee.

The seller thinks the warning message means the ATF fluid needs changing, even it has 92K miles on the clock and full service history which only has stamps, no detailed paperwork. Booked the car with a local Ford diagnostic garage with 50 fee.
    The seller wants me to do the ATF fluid change, which he thinks is culprit.

I will go to Ford and then tell the seller what the outcome is and if it's not the fluid change then, he must sort it out. The warranty is an insurance policy that seller garage undertaken so not what the conditions are.

He is hesitating to do anything. I always worried buying used cars from small car dealers but my daughter has limited budget.
    • reddwarf2002
    • By reddwarf2002 13th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 481 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    reddwarf2002
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:18 AM
    For 50 they will only stick a diagnostic tool in the ODB2 port and read off codes. That might be enough but often not the whole story.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Agreed. But a main dealer is more likely to be clued up about Ford specific codes than say a backstreet garage who is also going to be reading off computer.
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 13th Jul 18, 10:32 AM
    • 648 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    davidwood681
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:32 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:32 AM
    Agreed. But a main dealer is more likely to be clued up about Ford specific codes than say a backstreet garage who is also going to be reading off computer.
    Originally posted by reddwarf2002
    Our local Ford dealer isn't
    • facade
    • By facade 13th Jul 18, 10:38 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    facade
    The seller thinks the warning message means the ATF fluid needs changing, even it has 92K miles on the clock and full service history which only has stamps, no detailed paperwork. Booked the car with a local Ford diagnostic garage with 50 fee.
    The seller wants me to do the ATF fluid change, which he thinks is culprit.
    Originally posted by Eastender

It may well be, the ATF fluid change is probably not included in the services, and would have been an extra, so hardly anyone gets it done.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    • 19,098 Posts
    • 17,505 Thanks
    AdrianC
    First off, find out which model of Fiesta (IIRC 2009 was a change-over year) and which box you actually have. There are several marketing names, which hide very different technologies.

If this happened LITERALLY on the way home from collecting the car, then take it straight back, and brook no argument. Full refund, here and now, get on with it. If you'd had it more than 30 days, then you're outside of the right to a refund, and life gets a lot tricker - especially as soon as somebody other than the supplier puts a spanner to it.
    • dannyjebb
    • By dannyjebb 13th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    dannyjebb
    Not particularly helpful but I am looking at a used car. I hardly use a car so can't justify anything expensive, but like you have concerns about a small used car dealer. I am going to pay with credit card as I believe this gives you some extra protection from buying a dodgy car.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 42,788 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    macman
    On a limited budget, you are better off buying privately. A dealer looks to make 4-500 profit, so a 1k car will have been bought for half that.
    A 3 month warranty on a car with nearly 100k on the clock will be of next to no help-have you studied the list of exclusions?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Eastender
    • By Eastender 13th Jul 18, 1:56 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Eastender
    update. Now he is now saying, bring the car to him, I would have to pay for gearbox fluid change, and if it doesn't cure it and then he will either pay the refund or change the transmission. I argued that he should change the ATF for free but he won't budge.

What I'm fearing is that he might ask me to pay further 150 for ATF and then if its still not sorted, then would have had an extra 150 on top of 3.5k

Now I'm going to ask for refund.
    • Eastender
    • By Eastender 13th Jul 18, 4:34 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Eastender
    Went to the garage this afternoon to get my money back, he told me he has to deduct 250 for warranty cover which was attached to my car. I knew it was nonsense but couldn't do anything else.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 18, 4:41 PM
    • 19,098 Posts
    • 17,505 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Went to the garage this afternoon to get my money back, he told me he has to deduct 250 for warranty cover which was attached to my car. I knew it was nonsense but couldn't do anything else.
    Originally posted by Eastender
    You could have left the car, all the keys and paperwork with him, and told him to expect a court claim for a refund of the purchase price.

You can still claim the 250 warranty excess from him via the court, because this is under your statutory rights, not the warranty Ts & Cs.
    • reddwarf2002
    • By reddwarf2002 13th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    reddwarf2002
    You could have left the car, all the keys and paperwork with him, and told him to expect a court claim for a refund of the purchase price.

You can still claim the 250 warranty excess from him via the court, because this is under your statutory rights, not the warranty Ts & Cs.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

It's better to put in a court claim for 250 than 2500. There's no guarantee that money can be recovered even if OP wins the case.
    • Eastender
    • By Eastender 14th Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Eastender
    Thanks fellas, really annoyed about 250 but could claim against him in court, never done that before. He has AA Dealer Promise, showing on his website, not sure if they can help to recoup the money from them.

Now getting the Road Tax refund is a hard task.
    There is no option online for you to reclaim it as I handed my car back to the garage. I phoned DVLA and she replied that I had to write, no E-mail, yes that's right, pen and paper the old fashioned way, to them with explaining the situation.

I had to go online and purchase road tax in his garage when I took the keys but there is no option online to for refund. Now it would take up to 6 weeks to get it back. Now the Fiesta is road taxed in his garage.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jul 18, 9:21 AM
    • 19,098 Posts
    • 17,505 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Of course there's an online option.
    https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle
    • Eastender
    • By Eastender 14th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Eastender
    The garage hasn't sent the log book to the DVLA and I gave the new owner slip back to the garage. So now I don't have anything. The above link does not help me much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,624Posts Today

6,442Users online

Martin's Twitter