Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eskimo26
    • By eskimo26 12th Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 806Posts
    • 988Thanks
    eskimo26
    OLD MAC might need OS update
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    OLD MAC might need OS update 12th Jul 18 at 9:53 PM
    Hi my dads Mac is running OS X 10.6.8

It's having various issues with it including google chromes lack of support which means he can no longer update to the latest browser causing several issues. He doesn't want to use another browser.

My dad knows nothing about computers so i've stepped in and it's obvious the problem is that the OS has not been kept up to date.

Not sure where to go from here as I use windows pcs.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Page 1
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 12th Jul 18, 10:01 PM
    • 4,878 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:01 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:01 PM
    Go on the Apple.com help pages............
    To find out which version you can upgrade to, please provide your Mac model ID. It can be found by going to "Apple Menu" > "About This Mac" > "More Info" > "System Report". At top of right pane it should read "Hardware Overview". Second line under that is the Model ID.

Since you are running OS 10.6.8, you can also try opening the App Store app. It may automatically let you know which OS you can upgrade to. (Note: From OS 10.6.8 onwards, all upgrades to the OS are done via downloads through the App Store App. However, if upgrading to OS 10.7 or OS 10.8, you need to first purchase a redemption code from the online Apple Store.)
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 13th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 5,756 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    That's OS X snow leopard iirc. That version must be about7/ 8 years old now? There have been various updates since then . Yosemite/ El Capitan / Mavericks etc . I eventually managed to buy a new Mac last November ,and I'm now on high Sierra . Will be something else this sept apparently .
    I too was on snow leopard . It got too much for using stuff like garageband etc . Lots of crashing etc. It's on the Mac mini which. I will Keep because of the cd cdrive . Even then , that version of iTunes is way behind now and won't sync with my iPhone . Depending on what your dad uses it for ,and his wallet maybe best to buy a new Mac or iPad ??
    • eskimo26
    • By eskimo26 14th Jul 18, 11:36 AM
    • 806 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    eskimo26
    • 14th Jul 18, 11:36 AM
    • 14th Jul 18, 11:36 AM
    That's OS X snow leopard iirc. That version must be about7/ 8 years old now? There have been various updates since then . Yosemite/ El Capitan / Mavericks etc . I eventually managed to buy a new Mac last November ,and I'm now on high Sierra . Will be something else this sept apparently .
    I too was on snow leopard . It got too much for using stuff like garageband etc . Lots of crashing etc. It's on the Mac mini which. I will Keep because of the cd cdrive . Even then , that version of iTunes is way behind now and won't sync with my iPhone . Depending on what your dad uses it for ,and his wallet maybe best to buy a new Mac or iPad ??
    Originally posted by another casualty
    Honestly his just using it to surf online
    It's an old machine but the only issue is it drops the wifi a lot and the rest of the issues are down to lack of OS updates.

Go on the Apple.com help pages............
    To find out which version you can upgrade to, please provide your Mac model ID. It can be found by going to "Apple Menu" > "About This Mac" > "More Info" > "System Report". At top of right pane it should read "Hardware Overview". Second line under that is the Model ID.
    Model Identifier: iMac12,2

This is the full information.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac12,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
    SMC Version (system): 1.72f2
    Serial Number (system): C02FN99ZDHJP
    Hardware UUID: 2768DA3B-39CC-50BA-A39B-C3F79BCA1520
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    That serial number suggests its's this one:
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.7-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

Which can be upgraded to 10.13 or High Sierra but with various "issues" along the way, some of which are probably insignificant to the OP.
    • eskimo26
    • By eskimo26 14th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    eskimo26
    • 14th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 6:47 PM
    That serial number suggests its's this one:
    https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.7-27-inch-aluminum-mid-2011-thunderbolt-specs.html

Which can be upgraded to 10.13 or High Sierra but with various "issues" along the way, some of which are probably insignificant to the OP.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    So worth giving it a go? Can I just upgrade a couple OS further back? Like 2 back since it could be more compatible with an older OS?

All he does on it is surf the web and occasionally uses the dvd/CD player.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 14th Jul 18, 9:39 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:39 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 9:39 PM
    It's probably worth a punt, I mean if you ultimately end up replacing the unit you'd end up with the latest MacOS anyway which is High Sierra.

From 10.6 you'd need to upgrade to El Capitan first and from there to High Sierra:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT206886

https://www.apple.com/uk/macos/how-to-upgrade/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,121Posts Today

8,456Users online

Martin's Twitter