Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • samanthadactyll
    • By samanthadactyll 12th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    samanthadactyll
    Trying to Go Legit After Subletting
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    Trying to Go Legit After Subletting 12th Jul 18 at 8:33 PM
    Quick bit of background. Local council rules state that no more than 2 unrelated individuals can share a property without planning permission as a house for multiple occupancy (HMO). Between that and being on low income and not in a committed relationship, I've been subletting from friends for the last 3 years, paying them for a spare room without the landlord's knowledge. I'm a good tenant and keep the place clean, don't cause damage and look after the garden.

Good fortune and hard work mean that I am now in a committed relationship and earn enough to rent a property between the two of us. But any letting agency is going to want to run credit checks and have a reference from my last landlord. Obviously I can't say, 'sorry I can't provide you with a previous landlord because I've been illegally subletting for years.'

Ideas which I've come up with and tossed out are:
    1. Lie and say I've been living with my parents and put them as a reference. However they live halfway across the country so if they look at my employment history and bank statements they'll know that's not a terribly practical commute.
    2. Have my partner as the sole applicant. He earns roughly 30 times the monthly rent so qualifies to rent it on his own. However the contract states that any persons over 18 intending to live in the property must be an applicant.
    3. Just be honest with them. But would you want to rent to one person who sublets and their partner who was subletting to her?

Has anyone else been in this situation of being stuck in a subletting cycle? What can I do to get out of it and become a legitimate tenant?
Page 1
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    • 3,602 Posts
    • 9,636 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:40 PM
    The friends you were lodging with your landlords, a reference from them is totally legit.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 12th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    Quick bit of background. Local council rules state that no more than 2 unrelated individuals can share a property without planning permission as a house for multiple occupancy (HMO). Between that and being on low income and not in a committed relationship, I've been subletting from friends for the last 3 years, paying them for a spare room without the landlord's knowledge. I'm a good tenant and keep the place clean, don't cause damage and look after the garden.

Good fortune and hard work mean that I am now in a committed relationship and earn enough to rent a property between the two of us. But any letting agency is going to want to run credit checks and have a reference from my last landlord. Obviously I can't say, 'sorry I can't provide you with a previous landlord because I've been illegally subletting for years.'

Ideas which I've come up with and tossed out are:
    1. Lie and say I've been living with my parents and put them as a reference. However they live halfway across the country so if they look at my employment history and bank statements they'll know that's not a terribly practical commute.
    2. Have my partner as the sole applicant. He earns roughly 30 times the monthly rent so qualifies to rent it on his own. However the contract states that any persons over 18 intending to live in the property must be an applicant.
    3. Just be honest with them. But would you want to rent to one person who sublets and their partner who was subletting to her?
    Has anyone else been in this situation of being stuck in a subletting cycle? What can I do to get out of it and become a legitimate tenant?
    Originally posted by samanthadactyll

Sounds like your behaviour has caught up with you... Saying you live with your parents should be found out quite easily, having your partner as a sole applicant would be problematic, the landlord will want anyone over 18 living in the property to be on the tenancy agreement. What are you going to tell the council? either way when you get found out you could be evicted.

You could just say you rented a room from friends, effectively your friends are your landlord, technically it is them that is breaking their tenancy agreement. Put your friends as a reference as previous landlord, there is a slim chance the agent may know your friends landlord but you could play dumb, although this could cause issues for your friends...
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    • 27,343 Posts
    • 16,355 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:13 PM
    You say that you were lodging with friends and ask them for a reference?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,729Posts Today

6,624Users online

Martin's Twitter