Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SavvySaver24
    • By SavvySaver24 12th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 12Thanks
    SavvySaver24
    Changing the locks....
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    Changing the locks.... 12th Jul 18 at 8:09 PM
    Myself and my Partner are buying our first house (eeek excited!!). We said our first in would be to change the locks. Both sets of parents looked at us as if we were nuts and said they have NEVER changed the locks in ANY of their houses.

Is this a wasted expense no one usually bothers with!?
Page 3
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 13th Jul 18, 7:39 PM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 6,694 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    We've never changed the locks on any of the nine homes we've lived in (one rented, eight owned).

We have had two burglaries - and one attempted, while we were in the property - over the years. All in city locations. None remotely connected to previous inhabitants. The attempted break in and one of the successful burglaries were in the flat I rented as a student.

Current (rural) property was purchased as a repossession, but we still didn't bother - our thinking was that the locks had already been changed by the bank in possession and it was unlikely they would return to break in.

Naive perhaps, but we feel very safe here. Oh, and we have two scary dogs, lol!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • benjus
    • By benjus 13th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 3,213 Thanks
    benjus
    Haven't bothered at my current place, but that's mainly because it would cost several hundred to do so (and that's just for 2 doors). But they aren't the type of keys that can be copied by a normal key cutter, and the company that makes them has confirmed that there were no extra sets made in addition to the ones we have. Ok, it's not impossible to make dodgy copies of these, but it seems like a low risk to me.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 26,164 Posts
    • 94,938 Thanks
    Davesnave
    No one might have seen anything but surely, if they were rustled someone must have heard them.

SP
    Originally posted by StumpyPumpy

Bah! ................................
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jul 18, 10:51 PM
    • 26,164 Posts
    • 94,938 Thanks
    Davesnave
    it's struck me - but I guess NOT changing the locks on one's doors is one of the things that also comes with being in "Self Destructive Mode" as I call it.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Are you saying our village is self destructing?

We run a small business here based on self-service and an honesty box. Believe it or not, most of the time, the money's right, or even slightly up on what it should be, as some people don't take their change.

Occasionally, we have a visit from a tea-leaf, but we've resisted sticking up a camera, because trust is something worth cherishing. Mind you, any Miriam Margolyes look-alike driving a red Peugeot 206, had better look out!
    • Robby1988
    • By Robby1988 13th Jul 18, 11:34 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Robby1988
    If you have cylinder locks I think its well worth the small cost given how easy it is. I did it myself with some new cylinders from Wickes and couldn't believe how easy it was, literally one screw.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 14th Jul 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,362 Posts
    • 111,095 Thanks
    missprice
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5683179

The thread mentioned, read it and understand why changing locks is a good thing.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • gozaimasu
    • By gozaimasu 14th Jul 18, 1:12 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 1,899 Thanks
    gozaimasu
    I went to buy some lock barrels for £20 each without realising they had different sizes when I took the barrel out, they didn't fit and I had to take them back to the shop for a refund.

Some might be 90mm and be split 45-45 or 40-50. So make sure you remove the barrel first to see which size you need exactly!
    Forum etiquette - Be nice to all moneysavers.
    • SavvySaver24
    • By SavvySaver24 15th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    SavvySaver24
    Thanks all :-) We are definitely going to do it. Going to dug through our photos and see if we managed to take any good ones of thr doors just so we know what sort of locks we will be dealing with and if we can do it ourselves. I didn't realise it was so simple - but also worrying. Surely any old burglar could come across and do this then!?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 8,863 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Actually Dave - even in those smaller/more remote areas where "no-one locks their door still" - I spent some time trying to warn a friend that they MUST lock their door or they were asking for trouble.

Logically too - surely no burglar in their right senses would have tried to get in their downright tatty/one of the cheaper houses there by far type house. I never did manage to persuade them - until the time they came face-to-face with a would-be burglar inside their house....

I resisted the temptation to say "Told you so" to them...

But I'd also spent time trying to persuade them to eat a healthier diet/be more careful with their money/give up smoking/generally take more care of their health. I was wasting my breath on the lot and it's the first time it's struck me - but I guess NOT changing the locks on one's doors is one of the things that also comes with being in "Self Destructive Mode" as I call it.

Thinking of someone else I know that hasnt had a burglary yet - but is clearly "asking" for it with their lack of security precautions. They are also a self-destructive type of person in a variety of ways.
    Are you still Ďfriendsí with this person?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jul 18, 9:12 AM
    • 26,164 Posts
    • 94,938 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Surely any old burglar could come across and do this then!?
    Originally posted by SavvySaver24
    If they were inside the house, yes, but what would be the point?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 15th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 16,610 Posts
    • 45,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Are you still !!!8216;friends!!!8217; with this person?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Eventually one realises that someone else's self-destructiveness can affect oneself/one's own possessions. You let it pass the first time - but when they put you/your possessions at risk again - there comes a point where one thinks "It ain't safe knowing them - I could get hauled down with them and suffer health problems/personal attack/robbery because they're this way"....
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 15th Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    Slithery
    Thanks all :-) We are definitely going to do it. Going to dug through our photos and see if we managed to take any good ones of thr doors just so we know what sort of locks we will be dealing with and if we can do it ourselves. I didn't realise it was so simple - but also worrying. Surely any old burglar could come across and do this then!?
    It's only easy when the door is already unlocked
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 15th Jul 18, 2:40 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 8,863 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Eventually one realises that someone else's self-destructiveness can affect oneself/one's own possessions. You let it pass the first time - but when they put you/your possessions at risk again - there comes a point where one thinks "It ain't safe knowing them - I could get hauled down with them and suffer health problems/personal attack/robbery because they're this way"....
    Oh money you do crack me up!
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 15th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 4,905 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    My husband had to change the lock on my friendís door after she gave a key to a boyfriend, who, when dumped, refused to give it back. We had a spare lock so we swapped it for hers. When we moved house, we used her old one to replace the one in our new home.

Davesnave is right when he says that the best security is watchful neighbours. One of my friends was reported to the police for breaking into his own home, after locking himself out!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 15th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 26,164 Posts
    • 94,938 Thanks
    Davesnave

Davesnave is right when he says that the best security is watchful neighbours.
    Originally posted by barbiedoll
    Yup, just upgraded mine at the back entrance: doddery, blind and deaf 86 year old, to a sprightly 60-something with 2 dogs.
    • Asl77c
    • By Asl77c 16th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Asl77c
    It's a good idea. Change them to anti-bump and anti-drill locks. You can get them keyed alike as well (i.e., one key for all locks).

It can be done DIY (instructional videos on Youtube).
    Originally posted by kinger101
    So if someone can't get in your front door because you left a chain on when a key got lost, they can get in through any other door they like! Never heard of this one key for every lock craziness lol.
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 16th Jul 18, 8:56 AM
    • 31,157 Posts
    • 59,611 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Myself and my Partner are buying our first house (eeek excited!!). We said our first in would be to change the locks. Both sets of parents looked at us as if we were nuts and said they have NEVER changed the locks in ANY of their houses.

Is this a wasted expense no one usually bothers with!?
    Change them. You don't know who has a set of keys otherwise.

We have just changed the locks of our rental property after the last tenant vacated.

When we moved into our bungalow in 2015, we had no need to change the locks because we changed all the doors
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 16-07-2018 at 9:03 AM.
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th Jul 18, 11:40 AM
    • 16,610 Posts
    • 45,837 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Must admit after the reminder of the parents attitude that my first thought was "With parents like that = never listen to a word of advice they give about anything" I'd have been thinking "I'm more practical than my parents - thought it was supposed to be the other way round....."
    • YoungBlueEyes
    • By YoungBlueEyes 16th Jul 18, 9:31 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    YoungBlueEyes
    I'm in the 'change your locks camp'.

A couple of years ago I went to view a flat with a friend. The EA was late and had brought the wrong keys. He rang another EA in town and they gave him their copies!

It turned out the flat had been on the market for a wee while, and on with more than one agent, so gawd knows how many keys were out there.

Definitely changing the locks when I finally get a house
    • muz3562
    • By muz3562 16th Jul 18, 10:22 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    muz3562
    Im a FTB and when I do finally get the keys to a place I fully intend to change the locks on completion day .

You dont know the full history of the property , it could have been rented out and had multiple keys cut over the years , frankly you dont know who has a copy of the key for that lock . You can always keep the locks and put them back in when you move out that way you will always have locks you know only you have ever had keys for when it comes to future properties . And you dont have to change any spare sets you give to other people assuming they fit future properties .

Potentially moving thousands of pounds of belongings and your family into a home , the last thing you want is some weirdo turning up and letting themselves in
    Last edited by muz3562; 16-07-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,305Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter