Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 12th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    • 422Posts
    • 507Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Saying hello :)
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:57 PM
    Saying hello :) 12th Jul 18 at 7:57 PM
    Thought I should drop in and say hello. Been reading loads of threads over the last few months and decided it would be rude of me not to join in.

Currently in the process of paying off nearly 20k of debt and realising how slow it is going and how many more years it will take. Everything spiralled in 2014, it had been a juggling act for 15 years before this, I took stock and got a DMC onboard (it was approx 29k at this point) Sadly it's a pay monthly for the pleasure as the free ones / charities wouldnt help and the monthly payment they expected was eyewatering. I also managed to pick up a CCJ along the way in 2015 (great New Year gift! and a story for another day). My mariage went belly up a couple of years later but I carried on paying the debts...amazing how someone wanted a few holidays each year on plastic but never understood how they were paid for, nor realised how much he was spending on booze. I was living hand to mouth, heat or eat (a sandwich a day as I had to ration the electric on a meter) and it wasnt good.

I restarted my life, moved away and settled down with a gem

Didn't do much with the debts, just kept plodding along, paying the DMC each month and finding my feet, had to start a whole new career as I couldn't remain in my chosen one due to the CCJ.

Started picking off a couple of the smaller debts and telling the DMC to remove them.

Also in January 2017 I started doing savings challenges - 1p a day and the 52 week. Never knew what it was like to have a bit of money in the bank and seeing it increase a bit at a time and felt so proud of myself that I could do it. Everytime I logged on to my bank account I would move the pennies over too.

I wanted to get a home since I moved, I walked away from the other one as I wasnt on the mortgage or deeds, and have been keeping an eye on the prices; just in case, one day it may be possible and all that. I want a bungalow as I am disabled, reasonably priced ones dont pop up that often.

Over the last year I have started to look at areas for a home, think about a deposit and work out how much I would need and how long it would take.

A promo at work, with substantial payrise (I am now on the average uk wage) led me to clicking on mortgage calculators, seeing what is possible and still plodding along with the DMC.

Due to the promo at work I rearranged my income/outgoings spreadsheet and sussed I could put quite a bit away each month and I had been for 3 months until the spanner came my way and had to find a new place to rent. All sorted and waiting to move. (No checks done as my gem has been with the letting agency for over 7 years)

Popped into a brokers the other week and was advised I needed 25% before they would look, but I wasnt laughed out their premises which I took to be a good sign

Been trying to get my head round my credit reports and yesterday I worked out how to see defaults. Popped into my DMC site and worked out I could be debt free in 33 months by saving and picking off debts. Could be sooner if I only pay mine off and still save a bit each month towards a home /mortgage deposit.

I have my normal account for wages, DMC and DD. I have another current account with a different bank and that has emergency money (car repairs/petrol), small savings account for my 1p a day challenge, an ISA for the 52 wk challenge (naff all left due to deposit/rent advance) and a couple of bond accounts which are locked for 12 /24 months and I cant withdraw the money.

Over the last year I have seen my current account change from laughing at me when I would check it, to offerring me an overdraft, then a larger one and now it's inviting me to apply for a credit card. To me it means my credit history is starting to clean up a bit.

My OH lost his job last week, but I know we can get through it, 4 months ago I would have been freaking out trying to pay everything on my then wage).

I know this is the DFW board, but I wanted to give people hope. 99% of the time I pay by cash as it makes me more aware if what I am spending not debit card (unless tills are card only). Budgeting works. Not having take aways saves money. Charity shop clothes / furniture can make a difference to your pocket. Reduced price food is the difference between having food for a few days or for a week (don't raid it all as someone else may be in the same situation with having insufficient money). Money off vouchers. Supermarket reward points. Weekly special offer food in Lidl etc. Netflix instead of Cable/Sky which also saves on TV licence fee. Shop around for insurance (some comparison site insurers credit check/soft search). Picnics in the park on nice days.

Set a small goal, work towards it and then achieve it.

Never thought I would be posting anything like this 2 years ago!

There is life after 40, there is a good chance you can start over after being with someone for 20 years and there is a light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes you just need to wait for the candle to start shining brighter and it does.
Page 2
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Sep 18, 4:33 PM
    • 15,701 Posts
    • 14,770 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Sourcrates it was just because the old address was owned and my address was rented.

I know you are right just wanted the reference numbers to make it easier for me.

The debts are so old now they are not showing on the CRA's so cant tally them up that way, plus as always the companies change hands and are not with the original one.
    Originally posted by MovingForwards

Understood, but you must excuse us all trying here.

On moneysavingexpert.com the title says it all, our goal is to save you money, not the other way around, so you can appreciate where we are coming from.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 13th Sep 18, 7:48 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Just a quick update as another thread (about taking on a PT job as well as their FT job) got me thinking when a manager spoke with me a couple of days ago.

Anyhow, the talk involved overt-time which would give me more hours in the day to do my job.

Out came the calculator (a web page) salary calculator (on another web page) and my fingers were frantically punching numbers in and flicking between the pages to work out OT rates, week of OT and a month of OT against the difference in my normal paypacket.

A bit more maths was going on to work out debt to OT ratio and how many months, yes months, I could clear my debts.

Now, it will take a little time to get the OT hours balanced with my health balance and not do too much OT to knock my health for six, but not too little OT that I give up and think it just aint worth it.

Everyone knows OT cannot and should not be relied on merely snapped up when available. So, IF the company ran OT for the next 8 months I would be debt free and a bit more in the bank towards the mortgage deposit.

So, my great plan is to do one whole hour each working day (five days a week) this month and see how I get on. If the OT is still on offer in October, bag an hour a day, each day for the month and again see how I get on.

The Sept/oct OT plus some savings from my normal salary will cover cheap debt 1 and 3 which is the outstanding amount of the CCJ, then have it marked as satisfied and improve my credit history a smidge

Today I cheated as it's nearly the weekend and I managed a whole 1.5 hours
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 15th Sep 18, 5:18 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 3,139 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Wait so if I only ever use Netflix or youtube on the tv do I not have to pay TV licence?
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

Debts Feb 2018 6829.63

EF #70 0/1000
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 18th Sep 18, 9:14 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Sorry toomuchdebt I didnt see your comment. Nope, no licence as we do not watch live tv, there are several threads advising when a licence is required

Just popping back in to update my not-a-diary post

I managed two days of OT last week and so far have done two days of OT (1.5h each day), with another one planned tomorrow, the rest of the week I am just doing 1h extra a day.

Sadly next week I wont get OT rates as I have a day off and so they dont pay OT rates unless you have worked X hours per week (I know, dont even go there as it raises an eyebrow with me!)

I have also managed to get a survey for this week which will give me a couple of extra quid (so missed doing these since moving as it was nice to earn a bit extra every now and again and have yet to make a contact up here who does them and yes, I have asked my ladies I used to do them for but they have no contact up here to put me in touch with).

I am also going to start doing my online surveys again, they dont pay out that often but anything extra is a bonus

Sorted out my car insurance and saved a fair bit staying with my insurer (yes, strange but the price dropped and dropped again at my new place). Cant save anything on tax as that is free. I also only put petrol in once a month, when it's gone it's gone

Looking at sim only deals ready for when my contract is up (27 pm at the mo).
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 22nd Sep 18, 3:55 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Another little update.

My O/T plan didnt quite go as planned this week due to a crippling migraine, means all the O/T I did manage this week will be paid at flat rate. Still, money is money!

Been putting off looking at getting a credit card to start showing I am now a responsible borrower but sat here I just thought I would have a look and go the soft check route rather than chance it with my own bank (was only graded as 'likely to be accepted', but bank loan/ over draft shows as 'highly likely', so got a bit more cleaning to do before I try them).

Had a choice of 8 cards, one was my bank but only showed 60% chance of acceptance and I thought the odds were not high enough to take the risk.

Anyhow, I went through the others and ruled a couple out due to 50% chance of acceptance.

Debated higher interest overall, but short ish 0% interest or BT , didnt think I would make good use of them.

Opted for the one with the lowest apr (24.8%) and to my shock (due to having a ccj) got accepted.

So, got to wait for it to arrive, set up direct debit to clear the used balance (petrol/food shopping) monthly and be a responsible adult.

When my ccj is paid off and falls off I will be trying my own bank for a credit card.

Really feels like I am that small step closer to being able to get a mortgage in a few years
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 22nd Sep 18, 7:03 PM
    • 5,405 Posts
    • 6,738 Thanks
    theoretica
    Am I reading correctly, that you are paying a fee to a company for your DMP because you are unsure of the contact details and references for all the debts? I would expect this to count as 'your data' and as such is something they would have to tell you (though maybe not in a nice easy to read format) if you asked.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 10th Oct 18, 8:53 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Just another update in my not-a-diary thread.

I pushed myself too hard at work by trying to bag a load of OT and have been off sick this week. Gona have to take stock of where I am, what I am financially working towards (house/bungalow) and how to get it and still be in one piece. More than likely the OT is off for me as it is too much for me on top of my normal hours due to the impact on my health.

I have had a snotty email from the DMC, in response to my assertive one, with all the account numbers, DCA details but I have to try and cross reference it with the balances to make sure I only pick up mine and not my ex's. That is on my to do list for when I am better.

Debts are down a bit more, savings are increasing (all the pots combined are my emergency funds in case of me facing job loss as the breadwinner) so every month is a step closer to the mortgage deposit.

Nothing much else to add at the moment but it is all going in the right direction!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,783Posts Today

9,639Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin