Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 12th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 197Posts
    • 43Thanks
    Power Kitten
    DWP Loan – Statute of Limitations?
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    DWP Loan – Statute of Limitations? 12th Jul 18 at 7:54 PM
    I've received a demand from DWP, stating I owe some cash. I was baffled until I checked paperwork to see it's for a loan back in 2009, which I'd completely forgotten about. (Anybody reading from DWP, please be specific in your letters; it may save a few heart attacks!)

Well, okay then. But, is this not subject to the statute of limitations? This debt is well over six years old. The problem is, I'm in a tough financial situation at the moment, not helped by the fact I'll be moving house soon.

They state that they'll either contact my employer or pass on to a debt collector. I receive tax credits, PIP and housing benefit, so perhaps they'll make deductions from these, instead?

Is there anything I can do? I will be appealing, but would like to hear other people's experiences.
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 12th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,209 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    venison
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:58 PM
    You would be better contacting them and making an arrangement to pay, you don't say how much the debt is, but they will get you one way or another.
    Former Board Guide
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 12th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 197 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Power Kitten
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:07 PM
    It's £336.
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 12th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 1,738 Thanks
    tomtom256
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    They cannot take you to court for it, but they can reclaim it.

Either by an attachment of earnings or from any ongoing benefit award.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 13th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    Just contact them and make them an offer of what you realistically can afford.

I!!!8217;m sure when your on benefits there is a restriction of what they can take but I!!!8217;d check that as I!!!8217;m not 100% sure.
    • Power Kitten
    • By Power Kitten 13th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Power Kitten
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:47 AM
    Yes, I'll be giving them a call today. Just trying to muster the energy!
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 13th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 5,343 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:19 AM
    If the debt had been with a commercial company, yes it would be statute barred after six years.

But all statute barred means is that the owner of the debt cannot take legal action to recover the money. The debt itself remains outstanding.

So the DWP can reclaim the outstanding debt from benefits, pensions, or any other payout it may make to you if it remains unpaid.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

428Posts Today

5,667Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin