Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • head above water
    • By head above water 12th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 64Thanks
    head above water
    Neighbours fire spread to mums shed
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    Neighbours fire spread to mums shed 12th Jul 18 at 7:18 PM
    My mum owns her old council house but the house next door is still council run. at midnight last night the fire brigade woke her up ( she is 80 so a bit deaf and a big shock) and told her the shed was on fire. The neighbours have been cutting down the conifers all summer and now they had dried out decided to burn them. They tried a few weeks ago and another neighbour phoned the police as the fire set their fence on fire.
    So, should mum claim on her insurance for her fence, shed and contents of the shed (lawnmower, patio set, strimmer etc).?
    Her premium will go up but it is not her fault so unfair. The fire brigade have said they will issue a damage report stating the fire was started net door. Her neighbours are quite abusive so she doesn't want me to confront them in case they retaliate.
    Can she approach the council and claim on their insurance ( if they have it) . The tennants shouted that they are poor and have no money so " not to even think about getting money off them".
    what is the best course of action for her. She will have to replace the shed as she has no room to store the mower etc. Thanks
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 37,296 Posts
    • 21,452 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:21 PM
    She looks to have little choice but to make a claim or pay herself
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 12th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:20 PM
    My mum owns her old council house but the house next door is still council run. at midnight last night the fire brigade woke her up ( she is 80 so a bit deaf and a big shock) and told her the shed was on fire. The neighbours have been cutting down the conifers all summer and now they had dried out decided to burn them. They tried a few weeks ago and another neighbour phoned the police as the fire set their fence on fire.
    So, should mum claim on her insurance for her fence, shed and contents of the shed (lawnmower, patio set, strimmer etc).?
    Her premium will go up but it is not her fault so unfair. The fire brigade have said they will issue a damage report stating the fire was started net door. Her neighbours are quite abusive so she doesn't want me to confront them in case they retaliate.
    Can she approach the council and claim on their insurance ( if they have it) . The tennants shouted that they are poor and have no money so " not to even think about getting money off them".
    what is the best course of action for her. She will have to replace the shed as she has no room to store the mower etc. Thanks
    Originally posted by head above water

Lovely neighbours you have
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 12th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,524 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:34 PM
    Lovely neighbours you have
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    They could very well be as it's her Mum's house she's posted about.
    • head above water
    • By head above water 12th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    head above water
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    I know they are really dreadful, I worry about her being there on her own. Other neighbours have complained about the abuse, music, their 4 dogs barking all day and night but the council don't want to know. What I don't understand is how a single guy gets accepted for a 3 bed council house. he has male friends there all the time.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 12th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    • 14,705 Posts
    • 79,765 Thanks
    GDB2222
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:41 PM
    I don't think the council is responsible for what their tenant has done, but I can see no harm asking.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
    • stator
    • By stator 13th Jul 18, 12:56 AM
    • 6,491 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    stator
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:56 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:56 AM
    There are only two options.
    She claims off her own insurance
    Or she sues her neighbours

The council won't pay, not will they have insurance to cover their tenants idiocy
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    • 3,130 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    If your mum makes a claim to the Council anyway, even though they won't pay out, it might encourage them to look more closely at the tenant's awful behaviour, especially with a written report from the fire brigade.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 13th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:41 AM
    if your mum has to sell and she files it with the council, she will have to declare it when selling, not sure if she sues the neighbours will she have to declare that?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"
    • newatc
    • By newatc 13th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    newatc
    You don't need hassle at your mum's age. Talking to the neighbours or the council will give her plenty.
    Claiming off insurance or paying are, I believe, the only alternatives you should consider.

Can't think of much things worse than having neighbours like that. My sympathies to you mum.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Jul 18, 1:01 PM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,103 Thanks
    lisyloo
    How much is the shed?

It might be cheaper than making a claim, although she still needs to decalre the loss in future.
    I didn't think sheds where very expensive.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 13th Jul 18, 1:06 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Depends on the shed, we have quite a large shed that cost about 3,000 add the lawnmower and patio set etc you could be talking around 5k.
    Make 2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date 2,108
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 13th Jul 18, 2:27 PM
    • 22,499 Posts
    • 11,103 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Depends on the shed, we have quite a large shed that cost about 3,000 add the lawnmower and patio set etc you could be talking around 5k.
    Originally posted by scaredofdebt

Yep depends.
    I have a smaller one that looks like you can get it for 147 from B&Q, so there is a big range.
    I can see contents are also involved.

It's still worth looking at though, because loss of "no claims" and several years of higher premiums costs many hundred of pounds, so if the entire bill is in the low hundreds it might be worth just paying for it.

I expect most people living in ex-council houses don't have 3K sheds and 2K lawnmower and patio sets - WOW

but yeah depends............................
    Can be ignored if it doens't apply.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Jul 18, 3:30 PM
    • 6,898 Posts
    • 6,825 Thanks
    eddddy
    As others say - in theory, you can sue your neighbours, but if they have no money or assets, that might be a waste of time.

You can report their anti-social behaviour to the council (their landlords). The council can evict tenants for anti-social behaviour, but I've no idea how anti-social they need to be, before the council will do that.

See: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/eviction/eviction_for_antisocial_behaviour
    • head above water
    • By head above water 14th Jul 18, 3:36 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    head above water
    Well, the generosity of her lifelong neighbours has been amazing. Yesterday morning me and my brother were trying to put up a temporary fence to stop the dogs getting in mums garden, and the nice neighbours turned up with bags and shovels to clear the charcoal remains of the shed. someone have her a padded relaxer chair, someone else a parasol. the guy in the corner house came and made a fence from wood he had. then a couple who had not long moved in opposite gave her a massive discount off a plastic ex -display shed from where they work.
    All they wanted was to help, as mum has lived there all her life ,and when Dad was alive he helped everyone in the street at sometime or another. These old communities are rare these days and I feel mum will be safer now.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Jul 18, 5:15 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    csgohan4
    Well, the generosity of her lifelong neighbours has been amazing. Yesterday morning me and my brother were trying to put up a temporary fence to stop the dogs getting in mums garden, and the nice neighbours turned up with bags and shovels to clear the charcoal remains of the shed. someone have her a padded relaxer chair, someone else a parasol. the guy in the corner house came and made a fence from wood he had. then a couple who had not long moved in opposite gave her a massive discount off a plastic ex -display shed from where they work.
    All they wanted was to help, as mum has lived there all her life ,and when Dad was alive he helped everyone in the street at sometime or another. These old communities are rare these days and I feel mum will be safer now.

Bet they wouldn't give a hoots about the offending neighbour
    • marlot
    • By marlot 14th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    marlot
    Good to hear that she has good neighbours who will keep an eye out for her.
    • GDB2222
    • By GDB2222 14th Jul 18, 9:02 PM
    • 14,705 Posts
    • 79,765 Thanks
    GDB2222
    Bet they wouldn't give a hoots about the offending neighbour
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLvGnro4Cgw
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,067Posts Today

7,117Users online

Martin's Twitter