Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tigerhull84
    • By tigerhull84 12th Jul 18, 5:44 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tigerhull84
    Dependant Children
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:44 PM
    Dependant Children 12th Jul 18 at 5:44 PM
    Hi, My first post so please be gentle, I read on here loads and loads before we decided to go bankrupt in March. Just after a bit of advice please.

Myself and wife went bankrupt in March, and at the time we mentioned that the oldest daughter (aged 17) was due a baby in July. At the time there was no IPA set up and we havent heard anything since reviewing our income with the bankruptcy people on the phone. When we sent the income/expenditure in March the lady rang to query a few things (that she had read wrong on the forms lol), and basically she never queried any items on the form money wise and just said that we have a negative and therefore no payment would be set up.

The eldest (we have 4 children) gave birth 3 days ago, and today we received 2 new income/expenditure forms to fill in, I'm assuming because they will have logged on system to re look at income etc in July once baby born? or is that just coincidence.

My question is, what do we put her down as, she still is living with us with her baby, and our 3 other children but she has started to claim income support etc herself (obviously our Child benefit reduced). The plan was for her to pay 20 a week to us board which basically replaces the child benefit, but she would use her own money to buy baby everything milk etc. We are still providing roof over her head, sharing same meals etc. Just wondered how much the OR would consider? We certainly dont feel any better off and are still struggling, so would hate to end up payings something at this stage?

Is it worth me putting the income/expenditure on here for you to have a quick look?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
Page 1
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 13th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    It may be just coincidence - your daughter and her baby would technically still be dependants and any benefits she gets are for her and the baby - what she gives you should not be classed as income as such.
    • tigerhull84
    • By tigerhull84 21st Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tigerhull84
    • 21st Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    • 21st Sep 18, 4:43 PM
    Hi, Sorry forgot to reply back and thank you. It was as you said, a coincidence. However I did update the OR on the change in circumstances and completed the new questionnaire - took a few weeks but all came back ok with no further action / IPA required at this stage.

Regards
    • CosCom Inc
    • By CosCom Inc 22nd Sep 18, 5:37 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    CosCom Inc
    • 22nd Sep 18, 5:37 AM
    • 22nd Sep 18, 5:37 AM
    Put it on here, that will make it easier to give you a better advise.
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 22nd Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    • 22nd Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 22nd Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    Put it on here, that will make it easier to give you a better advise.
    Originally posted by CosCom Inc
    No need to its been approved by the O.R now....so all good
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

7,751Users online

Martin's Twitter