Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 12th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 247Thanks
    MrsStepford
    0 WOW
    Stockpiling Price Rises
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:58 PM
    0 WOW
    Stockpiling Price Rises 12th Jul 18 at 4:58 PM
    According to Twitter, yesterday The Sun leaked a government plan to stockpile processed food to show the EU that the Government is serious about preparing for a No Deal Brexit (no lorry parks mind you). Could be completely fictitious.

It doesn't actually matter whether the story is true. People will go out and stockpile. People will go out and stockpile because they will worry that there will be nothing left for them, if they don't. People like me and Mr Stepford will worry because we're both on special diets for health reasons.

Persuaded Mr Stepford that going shopping during the football match would enable us to shop in peace and quiet. We went to a large Tesco and stocked up on tinned food but we forgot organic olive oil.

Today Dale Berning Sawa in The Guardian repeated the story (again with no confirmation that it's true).

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/a-no-deal-brexit-survival-guide-what-food-to-stockpile/ar-AAzXyeJ?ocid=spartanntp

The Guardian listed the following as foods that we should be stocking up on:

Olive Oil
    Pepper
    Chilli
    Herbs
    Pasta
    Rice
    Olives
    Anchovies
    Tinned tomatoes, passata, tomato paste
    Tinned fish (examples given: sardine, tuna)
    Tinned beans and pulses (examples given: kidney, butter and black beans, chickpeas)
    Pickled capers
    Jarred peppers

Worried as I am, I decided to do an online shop, just of the tinned/jarred stuff which we eat, from the list.

I had a delivery on Friday last week. Since then, ASDA has raised the price of 500ml ASDA Extra Virgin Organic Olive Oil from 2.50 to 3.24 That's a 62.5% price rise !!

But it's not just ASDA. Tesco and Sainsbury's have both raised their prices to 3.25.

Anyone else noticed any sudden increases on the kind of items listed ?

We're lucky in that we can afford to stockpile food BUT could be UNlucky if the food which we CAN eat becomes rare. Neither of us wants to be taking drugs instead.

It seems unfair for supermarkets to be raising prices when The Sun and The Guardian are advocating stockpiling food. Nor are there many offers on this stuff.

No-one voted for food prices to go up or to have to stockpile food. This is the 21st century not WW2.
Page 2
    • meer53
    • By meer53 29th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 9,247 Posts
    • 13,424 Thanks
    meer53
    It is not 62.5% It's 74p on 2.50 which is about 30%
    Originally posted by molley
    see post #5
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 30th Jul 18, 10:33 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Maybe it's my cynical mind with the Maybot but food shortages = chlorinated chicken, hormone produced beef and GMO produce to the rescue.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    If only we could trust them to be that machiavellian - I think they're probably just being crap and disorganised
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 6th Aug 18, 7:07 AM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Eat something else is a bit Marie Antoinette as in told the peasants had no bread, she suggested cake.

Rice IS grown within the EU - in Greece, in France and the biggest rice producer in EU, Italy. Chillies can be grown in parts of UK.
    Originally posted by MrsStepford
    You can grow chilies in the whole of the UK. I accidentally planted chillie instead of what I thought was pepper seed (don't ask ) I now have bundreds of the horrible little things in various colours waiting to go in the compost bin.You don't even need a greenhouse a couple of pots on a windowsill will suffice the average household.Can't stand the things myself.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 6th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Maybe you could swap the chillis with a neighbour for something you like - tomatoes ? runner beans ?

If you can bare to let them run their course, you could dry them and string them up into a ristra. I daresay a string of chillis might be a valuable commodity come March (joking...)
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 6th Aug 18, 11:50 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Maybe you could swap the chillis with a neighbour for something you like - tomatoes ? runner beans ?

If you can bare to let them run their course, you could dry them and string them up into a ristra. I daresay a string of chillis might be a valuable commodity come March (joking...)
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    I have a glut of tomatoes and beans lol and as for courgettes they seem to be growing from nothing to full sized overnight.I can't give them away so many of them. Everyone I know now runs a mile when they see me coming for fear I'm going to try and off load some veg or other. Everything seems to have grown like mad this year.Every preserving jar and space in the freezer is already taken and the allotment is still full.Its been an amazing summer for growing fruit and veg.
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 7th Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 383 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    unrecordings
    ah - maybe a food bank or soup kitchen could take the excess produce, especially if you banded together with other allotmenteers to make a substantial donation.

But yes, it's been a great year (apart from my apple tree seems to have taken a year off)
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 7th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    ah - maybe a food bank or soup kitchen could take the excess produce, especially if you banded together with other allotmenteers to make a substantial donation.

But yes, it's been a great year (apart from my apple tree seems to have taken a year off)
    Originally posted by unrecordings
    we've actually tried local food banks,they are'nt interested. We can't even put them in a basket by the side of the road with a sign saying " free to take away".Its against council regulations we've been told since one allotment holder did try and was told in no uncertain terms they would fine him next time.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 7th Aug 18, 1:46 PM
    • 7,255 Posts
    • 50,170 Thanks
    kerri gt
    we've actually tried local food banks,they are'nt interested. We can't even put them in a basket by the side of the road with a sign saying " free to take away".Its against council regulations we've been told since one allotment holder did try and was told in no uncertain terms they would fine him next time.
    Originally posted by MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Have you tried Freecycle?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Aug 18, 2:15 PM
    • 16,155 Posts
    • 137,615 Thanks
    JackieO
    According to Twitter, yesterday The Sun leaked a government plan to stockpile processed food to show the EU that the Government is serious about preparing for a No Deal Brexit (no lorry parks mind you). Could be completely fictitious.

These are not essential things
    <<Olive Oil (when I was a kid it went into your ears ,not on your plate)
    Pepper (I do agree with this one and ground black pepper has gone up considerably in the past few months

Chilli : Grow your own ,not hard and pretty easy to do

Herbs: as above

Pasta : grew up without it and can live without it being a major problem

Rice: again survived without it ,mainly used as a pudding by me

Olives : again can live without them

Anchovies : as above

Tinned tomatoes, passata, tomato paste, grow your own or search for fresh far better than tinned

Tinned fish (examples given: sardine, tuna)I think I have a good stash of sardines and pilchards ,not fussed about tune ,can live without

Tinned beans and pulses (examples given: kidney, butter and black beans, chickpeas) Buy beans dried and do them yourself if you need to
    Pickled capers Never use them

Jarred peppers: again not bothered

I really do prefer to buy as much fresh as I can ,although I can understand why if you live away from a main shopping area it may be difficult. I don't think we shall starve without pickled capers or anchovies. Probably the main pasta I would use would be lasagne but its not that important.

<<No-one voted for food prices to go up or to have to stockpile food. This is the 21st century not WW2>>.
    Most of this stuff was unavailable or unheard of during and after WW2. I was in my teens in the late 1950s before I ever tasted spag bol and it was the early 1960s before curry was thought of to be used much as a main meal. I do use a lot of herbs and spices but I can't see them suddenly becoming extinct in the UK.

I think a lot of scaremongering is going on in the media at the moment We will hardly be living on pottage because we are no longer a member of the cash cow called the EU.

Perhaps we will get some delicious New Zealand butter or lamb imports again.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = 166.19. July added equals 204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals 227.75
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 7th Aug 18, 4:14 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Most of this stuff was unavailable or unheard of during and after WW2. I was in my teens in the late 1950s before I ever tasted spag bol and it was the early 1960s before curry was thought of to be used much as a main meal. I do use a lot of herbs and spices but I can't see them suddenly becoming extinct in the UK.

I think a lot of scaremongering is going on in the media at the moment We will hardly be living on pottage because we are no longer a member of the cash cow called the EU.

Originally posted by JackieO
    Agree absolutely especially about the New Zealand butter (was especially delicious). Seriously this is just scaremongering. We were fine before the EU we will be fine after. What the EU won't sell us (hahaha, they'll be begging us to buy it more like) we can use something else. I actually think the whole situation and the way some people are actually worrying about it says a lot for the kind of society we have become and it ain't good. It also proves the point of just why we should be dealing with our own affairs instead of being part of a dictatorial super state. I'm backing Britain all the way so should the rest of us.
    • pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 7th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    We were fine before the EU we will be fine after.
    Indeed, we will be fine, but that doesn't mean it won't cost us. I'm amazed that people seem to think you can rework a supply chain that's been optimised over a period of 45 years without any short-term difficulties.
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 7th Aug 18, 4:39 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Indeed, we will be fine, but that doesn't mean it won't cost us. I'm amazed that people seem to think you can rework a supply chain that's been roptimised over a period of 45 years without any short-term difficulties.
    Originally posted by pumpkin89
    I actually think the cost will be worth it. Yes we may all have to tighten our belts and stop food wastage.Perhaps stop buying some of the convenience "crap"we have all become accustomed too but it's a small price to pay. I think if our grandmother's were here who had been housewives in WW2 days of rationing they would be having a good giggle at the way the current generation is behaving over what may be a small period of "inconvenience" and adjustment.At least food will be available for us they did'nt have a choice.We need to remember the EU will not be wanting lorry loads of their produce rotting at the ports. Even they are'nt that stupid.They would just be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they did and oh how those French farmers would riot. They just would'nt take the chance.
    • Techno
    • By Techno 7th Aug 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    Techno
    Brexit is one of those things which should have had a cross party group organising it not the government (whoever had won the election) as this is our future which is being used as a political football and whilst as a remain voter I am not happy to be leaving the EU, it was voted for by a majority and as such, we need the best possible deal which I hope will enable us to retain a positive relationship with Europe so my prosecco and Brie supplies are not too badly affected as I'm not sure the neighbours would be too chuffed if I started stockpiling Brie
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    • By MRSTITTLEMOUSE 7th Aug 18, 11:56 PM
    • 8,063 Posts
    • 19,489 Thanks
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Brexit is one of those things which should have had a cross party group organising it not the government (whoever had won the election) as this is our future which is being used as a political football and whilst as a remain voter I am not happy to be leaving the EU, it was voted for by a majority and as such, we need the best possible deal which I hope will enable us to retain a positive relationship with Europe so my prosecco and Brie supplies are not too badly affected as I'm not sure the neighbours would be too chuffed if I started stockpiling Brie
    Originally posted by Techno
    Totally agree since May is an absolute. abomination and as useful as a chocolate watch however I don't think it would have made a difference. The EU has a lot to lose and they are never going to agree with anything since they can't be seen to giving way. After all the Euro sceptic nations amongst the remaining 27 countries are just waiting to see now they deal with us before pursuing their own exit.Plus when you consider it takes the EU several years to agree on minor issues such as toilet seats do you think they will ever agree to any Brexit terms especially when all they can see at the end of it is loss of EU funding for their individual country and having to make higher payments in to bridge the gap we leave and it's a considerable gap. Hardly think so.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Aug 18, 5:35 PM
    • 8,391 Posts
    • 9,396 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Noticed in Home Bargains a "value pack" of Maggi noodles - 4 for 99p.

Looked when I got home, and I'm right. They used to be a "value pack" of 5 for 99p.

I can't decide whether it's a 20% decrease or a 25% increase, but either way...

And it can't be Brexit because Maggi (Nestle) are Swiss.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • MrsStepford
    • By MrsStepford 15th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    MrsStepford

Originally posted by JackieO
    We didn't vote to rewind time and you have to be older than 45 to have lived pre-EU and to be an elderly OAP to have been a child in WW2.

Just because Britain didn't have some food items during WW2, is no reason to impose that lack of food choices on the entire UK population in the 21st century !!! I know you aren't saying that JackieO but some do.

Anchor butter is made in UK now.

It's quite difficult to buy NZ lamb chops - I look for them because NZ is a GM free zone whereas in the UK farmers can feed their animals with GM feed or crops and none of it has to be labelled. Farmers have been found to be breaching Red Tractor rules recently, too.

Tesco has fresh NZ lamb, Sainsbury's has frozen, Lidl and Morrisons don't stock NZ lamb at all (though Lidl used to).

Some people want to leave the EU but it's clear now by polls that it's a minority of people and by 2021 it will be a demographic result too as more young people will be able to vote.

In 2016 17m out of 65m people voted Leave. Just 26% of the population. The vote was so tight it was 17m and change to 16m and change and since then more than 1m young people have turned 18 and they have gone from 75% Remain in one poll, to 89% in another.

So this is all happening for 1m people out of 65m.

Shambles.

To be contemplating food shortages and therefore rationing is totally unacceptable. We were 5th richest country in the world.

People who've grown up with pasta, kebabs, curry etc won't give them up easily and the young will blame older people for voting Leave.
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 15th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 8,424 Thanks
    Living proof
    I have a glut of tomatoes and beans lol and as for courgettes they seem to be growing from nothing to full sized overnight.I can't give them away so many of them. Everyone I know now runs a mile when they see me coming for fear I'm going to try and off load some veg or other. Everything seems to have grown like mad this year.Every preserving jar and space in the freezer is already taken and the allotment is still full.Its been an amazing summer for growing fruit and veg.
    Originally posted by MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    I have so many courgettes and cucumbers and I can't dehydrate them all and if I did they would never get used. I have been putting them at the top of my drive in cardboard boxes and letting people help themselves. One day a little boy knocked at the door and said was the courgette (I think he said cabbage, actually) mine? I said to help himself, he said on no I don't want it, I just wondered whether it was yours! Bless him. I think from now on it's the compost heap for them all. Another young lady offered me 2 for an oversized courgette!!! The big ones are really popular with the East Europeans.
    Last edited by Living proof; 15-08-2018 at 1:06 PM.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 15th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 2,437 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Is this going to be the new Brexit bashing thread?

Rice IS grown within the EU
    Good for them. Most of the rice we consume (UK) comes from Asia though.
    I think this is the correct one https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/sites/agriculture/files/cereals/factsheet-rice-2_en.pdf

JAPONICA RICE (short/medium grain)
    is the "traditional" European rice,
    representing about 75% of EU rice production
    and mainly consumed in South Europe

INDICA RICE (long grain)
    is the "traditional" Asian rice, representing
    about 25% of EU rice production and mainly
    consumed in North Europe. For indica rice,
    the EU is not self-sufcient and is indeed
    a (big) net importer
    The EU is still a minor player globally, so those who like their short grain rice may be able to get it cheaper from non EU sources once we're out.

To be contemplating food shortages and therefore rationing is totally unacceptable.
    And quite unnecessary, so why not give yourself a rest and stop doing it.

People who've grown up with pasta, kebabs, curry etc won't give them up easily and the young will blame older people for voting Leave.
    I can't even see a connection between those 2 comments (not counting the and ), and though I'm not there yet, I think I'll do like many older people will and just shrug my shoulders. I don't blame it on the young, it's a US import I think (where there's blame there's a claim), and soshal meeja doesn't help, but what's wrong with taking responsibility for stuff themselves instead of constantly looking for others to blame?
    • unrecordings
    • By unrecordings 15th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    unrecordings
    Yep let's try to keep the politics out of it and stick to the OP's point (although I will say the next election will be VERY interesting in terms of this issue)

---I had a nice long post, illustrating butter prices but deleted it as pointless. Rises will rise a little, there'll be chaos at the ports of entry for a few days, but we won't have to go back to powdered eggs and rat au vin (without the vin obviously) ---
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 16th Aug 18, 8:34 AM
    • 12,491 Posts
    • 173,489 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    There is a very old saying that is 'Hunger is the best sauce' and we'll eat whatever is available if we're hungry enough and be glad to have food on out plates and in our bellies rather than spend our lives repining the loss of the sundried tomato!
    Thumpers mum was right - if you can't find anything nice to say don't say anything at all!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

85Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin