Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 1,081Posts
    • 1,113Thanks
    Margot123
    Underhand Estate Agent? - re: offers
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    Underhand Estate Agent? - re: offers 12th Jul 18 at 3:34 PM
    A friend made an offer on a property of 110k, and was told by the agent that an offer of 115k had been made by the owner of the adjoining property.

Looking through the sold prices on RM, my friend noticed that the property sold for 104k this April. Some 11k under the top bid.
    She went round to the adjoining property who'd made the higher offer, and asked how they had managed to buy for 6k less than her bid. They were bemused and said they had been told a similar tale of someone offering more.
    Nothing written concerning the offers was ever received by the two of them.

The property is now up for rent by the same agent.

It all seems very fishy to everyone who is aware of the offers. Could some kind of scam been going on whereby the agent bought the house themselves at a low price?
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:27 PM
    Doubful it's a 'scam'. The only upside of an agent saying there is a higher offer is to get you to bid more. If they really wanted the property for themselves they would just say your offer had been declined. No need for the extra smoke and mirrors.

But who's to say the owner of the adjoining property isn't lying? Also, why did your friend go round? It strikes me as a bit strange!

• lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 12th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 22,500 Posts
    • 11,112 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    and was told by the agent that an offer of 115k had been made by the owner of the adjoining property

I don't think they should (in effect) be giving out the address of another potential buyer.

Is it possible there is a logical explanation.
    For example higher offer was received and after survey it turned out that there was issue e.g. house needed re-wiring, and offer was lowered?
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:03 PM
    I don't think they should (in effect) be giving out the address of another potential buyer.

Is it possible there is a logical explanation.
    For example higher offer was received and after survey it turned out that there was issue e.g. house needed re-wiring, and offer was lowered?
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    That was my first thought, but then wouldn't the EA have approached people who had made higher offers? There is a considerable difference.

I've suggested my friend look up the registered owner on the Land Registry website if it makes them feel any better.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jul 18, 7:22 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:22 PM
    That was my first thought, but then wouldn't the EA have approached people who had made higher offers? There is a considerable difference.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    Not if the vendor didn't want that. They could have been far along in the process. They may have not wanted to 'start again'. They may have needed to get a sale through to preserve a chain. They could have spent money on their onward purchase that they didn't want to lose. They may have found their 'dream house' and didn't want to lose it. Maybe they didn't 'like' your friend. There are endless reasons why they didn't come back.

I've suggested my friend look up the registered owner on the Land Registry website if it makes them feel any better.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    I'd suggest she moves on and either concentrates on her goal of getting a new property/enjoys her new property (delete as appropriate). I'm not sure how finding out who the new owner is will help her, and, like visiting the neighbour, comes across as slightly strange.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,668Posts Today

7,704Users online

Martin's Twitter