Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ryk1259AA
    • By ryk1259AA 12th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ryk1259AA
    Introductory 0% deal over before purchase
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:45 PM
    Introductory 0% deal over before purchase 12th Jul 18 at 2:45 PM
    Hi guys,
    Wondered if anyone could best advise me on the way forward regarding a 0% credit card from mbna.

It took me a long time to get my credit rating good enough to be eligible for a card like this and I finally got accepted.
    I had a ccj and a dispute with a bank who left my file marked as unpaid or whatever ...these have now come off my file.

I had planned to purchase a laptop within the introductory period but i made a mistake with the end date of the offer and missed it!!

Im wondering what to do now ...my main focus is on bettering my score or at least not making it worse!

Mbna couldn't increase the offer even by a day.
    I've not used the card at all since ive had it 3 months.
    This was the only card I had a good chance of getting at the time of applying , going on the credit club advice

I could cancel the card and apply for another but would I need to wait a while ? An unused card for a short period of time wouldn't be that attractive to the next card company right ?

I could use the card for other purchases and pay them off in full at the end of each month for a period, say 6 months then cancel for a different 0% card?

I could make a purchase and then do a balance transfer ?
    Or another option?

Im not really too up on all the tricks to maximise my score, any advice would be greatly apreciated
    Thanks
Page 1
    • ryk1259AA
    • By ryk1259AA 12th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ryk1259AA
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    "Deal" not seal !!!128584;
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 12th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:00 PM
    Certainly don't cancel the card. Not if it's your only credit card.
    Keep using it and pay off in full, each time. You could try to get another 0% card at this stage. I wouldn't bother going for a BT. Just go for another 0% purchases card.

I know Tesco are a little less strict on who they give cards to, and can give generous limits. Providers like the Post Office offer a soft search on their site, which lets you see if you could potentially get one, without resulting in a hard search on your file.
    If you plan to try in 6 months anyway, another hard search, today, wouldn't make a huge amount of impact.

If you can't get one, then try again in a few months, after you've got some spending/repayment history on your MBNA card.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 12th Jul 18, 3:03 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Ergates
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:03 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:03 PM
    First, Set up a direct debit to pay off the full amount each month (even though this is currently 0).
    Then, start using the card for every day purchases - shopping, sandwiches, petrol, whatever you would be buying anyway (and would presumably currently pay with cash or a debit card). As long as it's cleared every month you won't incur any interest.

This will start to build up your credit history - you can do this with any card, might as well use the one you already have.

You could cancel and switch to a different card after 6 months, or you could just keep that one as your every day card and get a second card at 0% (if you can) for a larger purpose to pay off over time.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    • 18,577 Posts
    • 19,836 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    Im not really too up on all the tricks to maximise my score, any advice would be greatly apreciated
    Originally posted by ryk1259AA
    The best trick is to never look at, or care about your score.

Remember it's a largely random and totally meaniningless number and if you focus on 'maximising' it, you'll have a minor mental breakdown when it goes down just because you've cleared some debt, had a birthday or it's a bit colder than normal.

Use your cards regularly and clear in full each month unless on a 0% promo.
    • ryk1259AA
    • By ryk1259AA 26th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ryk1259AA
    • 26th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 26th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    Thank you very much for your responses!
    I'll use the card and set up a d/d to pay it off in full as advised and apply for another in a few months
    Much apreciated
    • sparkey1
    • By sparkey1 26th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    sparkey1
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    • 26th Jul 18, 7:40 PM
    MBNA do offers from time to time. They might for example offer you a really cheap cash transfer offer. Keep the card.
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 26th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    nic_c
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    • 26th Jul 18, 9:33 PM
    Use the card and in a few months see if they can give you a new offer. Depending on your needs that might surfice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

297Posts Today

3,773Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin