Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gaz2613
    • By gaz2613 12th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 6Thanks
    gaz2613
    Dressing Room to Bedroom
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:36 PM
    Dressing Room to Bedroom 12th Jul 18 at 2:36 PM
    Me and my partner have purchased our first house and are in the process of doing it up.

It has 2 large double bedrooms with a third room being accessed from the second bedroom.

Our bathroom is downstairs and is accessed by going through the kitchen.

Which would add the most value to the property? putting up a stud wall to make the 2nd bedroom slightly smaller to allow independant access to the 3rd room which would essentially become a third bedroom rather than a dressing room or would it add more value converting it to an en-suite bathroom and retain the bathroom downstairs?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 25,327 Posts
    • 69,003 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:53 PM
    It sounds like it's going to be quirky, regardless. The square footage doesn't change, just the layout, which doesn't really add value at all.

It all depends on who is buying. Different people would want different options. You're not going to please a majority any of those ways.

If the space is capable of being a bedroom or an ensuite, it's capable of being a bathroom with its own access. Frees up space downstairs for something else, perhaps. It's more traditional, I guess.

You're better off pleasing yourself.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 12-07-2018 at 2:55 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    • 8,129 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    phill99
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:04 PM
    I live in an area with houses exactly the same as yours. Mine is very similar insofar that you access the bathroom via the kitchen. Thousands of houses in this area are the same and it is accepted by buyers in the area. Mine has had a stud wall erected in the second bedroom so there is proper access to the third bedroom. So I have one double and 2 single rooms. There is a difference of around 10,000 - 15,000 between the 2 and three bedroom houses, so in my mind erecting the stud wall would give you a better return.

In terms of a second bathroom in a 2 bedder - I think that's is overkill unless its one of these huge mansion blocks in the West End or Canary Wharf.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • gaz2613
    • By gaz2613 12th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gaz2613
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    I thought the same. I have been reading alot that most people want the extra bedroom and something as cheap as a stud wall to provide the separate access to the third room at the cost of making the second slightly smaller can add a significant amount of value.

My house by the way is an edwardian detached but in the same layout as the semis and the terraced houses on the street. I wanted to convert the cupboard above the stairs so it has a sink and toilet but its on the side that overlooks next door so nowhere to put the pipework which is a real shame as that would have been a good compromise in keeping the bathroom downstairs.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 25,327 Posts
    • 69,003 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    I thought the same. I have been reading alot that most people want the extra bedroom and something as cheap as a stud wall to provide the separate access to the third room at the cost of making the second slightly smaller can add a significant amount of value.

My house by the way is an edwardian detached but in the same layout as the semis and the terraced houses on the street. I wanted to convert the cupboard above the stairs so it has a sink and toilet but its on the side that overlooks next door so nowhere to put the pipework which is a real shame as that would have been a good compromise in keeping the bathroom downstairs.
    Originally posted by gaz2613
    Have a Saniflow system behind the loo. Not ideal but solves the waste issue and it's perfectly fine as a second toilet and a particularly good idea with three bathrooms up there.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 12th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 1,921 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    If the space is capable of being a bedroom or an ensuite, it's capable of being a bathroom with its own access. Frees up space downstairs for something else, perhaps. It's more traditional, I guess.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Of the available options that would be my first choice, a lot of people just aren't keen on the idea of downstairs bathrooms.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 13th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 3,229 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    If its the sort of house that families would buy then more (separate) bedrooms and a downstairs bathroom would be preferred.

But if it's a house that a couple would buy then they might prefer two bedrooms and an upstairs bathroom (but accessible from both rooms) with a larger kitchen for entertaining.

So it depends on your area and who would tend to be buying at that price level really.
    • armchaireconomist
    • By armchaireconomist 13th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    armchaireconomist
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:18 AM
    It really depends what you want and how long you plan to stay there.

If you want to add the most value and keep costs down, stick a stud wall up and make the dressing room a third room (although, you could still use it as such)

Personally, if I were planning on staying i'd turn the third bedroom into a bathroom and make the kitchen/bathroom a larger kitchen/diner.

The second option (probably) won't be worth as much, but it'll likely sell much quicker and be nicer to live in.
    • gaz2613
    • By gaz2613 13th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    gaz2613
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 12:29 PM
    Its mostly a family oriented area with a primary school at the boot of the street and a secondary school just a 10 min walk away and its not far from the town centre either.

I was thinking the extra bedroom would be more beneficial and try fit a toilet room in somewhere upstairs to compromise for the bathroom being downstairs.
    • JessyRM
    • By JessyRM 13th Jul 18, 1:21 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    JessyRM
    I would go with the extra bedroom. I never understand the appeal of ensuites, who wants to hear their partner go to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

I know it wasn't an option but an upstairs family bathroom and bigger kitchen would be my preference, but If it's in a family orientated area like you've mentioned the extra bedroom would most likely add more value.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter