Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 60,841Posts
    • 43,410Thanks
    soolin
    Proof you can't even give stuff away
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    Proof you can't even give stuff away 12th Jul 18 at 12:33 PM
    A few weeks back I had the forced upgrade in Windows 10 and it knocked out my Canon printer which was only about 18 months old. A long call (well over an hour) to Canon support , new drivers, tech help etc couldn't sort the problem and I was basically left with a working all in one printer that wouldn't print from my PC. Decided that I was spending too much of my working time to fix a problem and just went and bought a new one instead.

Used a cable from the old one on the new one and all was well. More recently I decided to offer the old one free on the various giveaway/freegle type places on facebook. Advert stated the exact issue I had, showed the only cable it came with and stated in several places nothing else was supplied, NO ink, NO other cables and collection only.

Had the usual 'yes please' posts that after a couple of days asked me when I was going to deliver! Had one person offer me a pound if I would do a 60 mile round trip to drop it off, so I declined. Had a lot of people ask if I could just post them the ink for free, which I ignored.Eventually some local person said their husband would collect on the way home from work- so handed it over and thought that was the end of it. A few days later I get a rather irritated email asking where the connection cable was, I pointed out that this was not given away with that cable- recipient not happy with that and told me it was useless without that and they were disabled and needed this for their craft project so what was I going to do. I sent back a polite but brief answer suggesting they re donated it if they didn't want it. Got another email whilst I was away last week saying they had just bought the generic ink for it and was shocked by the price, so their 'free' printer had cost them money for ink and a cable and they thought it was unfair that I offered this for free when it obviously came with a cost. they mentioned again being disabled, and I got the usual 'gutted' remark that they felt cheated and they asked whether I felt it would be the right thing to do to offer them a cash payment towards their costs due to my advert being misleading.

I ignored that and have just had a really hurtful email saying that karma will get me especially as her husband had said my house was a posh one so I could easily afford to help out someone less fortunate and that she wanted me to know she was very disappointed in my attitude (and she mentioned being disabled again).

Remind me never to try and give anything away again
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 12th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 15,975 Posts
    • 21,958 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:56 PM
    That is shocking!

Well done keeping your cool. I would have replied saying being disabled is not an excuse for ignorance or stupidity, and the advert clearly said it came with no ink or cable!

We live in one of the "big posh houses" yet live a very frugal lifestyle due to childcare costs. The amount of people that buy stuff on facebook then turn up and hint they would like it for free.

I never offer stuff for free now due to time wasters and people wanting it posted or delivered.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 12th Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 11,355 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:34 PM
    For some reason, people seem even nastier when you give stuff away than when you are selling stuff. I gave up on Freegle ages ago because so many people wanted the item delivered or wanted me to meet them at their work. I don't have a car and I certainly don't have the time to go into the city centre and wait outside their work etc. The people constantly mentioning disabilities or sob stories were the worst. On the last Freegle group I was a member of one person got some quite nasty threats from the person she didn't give the item to (he was second to ask and she had already made arrangements with the first person).

The only group I use now is a small one that just covers a couple of postcodes where I live. People are better behaved because it is more tightly managed and lots of people know each other. They also can't use sob stories because people in the group will know how expensive the area they live in is etc.
    • billn
    • By billn 12th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    billn
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    Well soolin I am shocked and stunned that you did offer to deliver, install, give 24/7 tech support and at least 2 years worth of ink and paper to the poor unfortunate that had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of your donation.

Seriously, I hope kama will kick in but not in a way they expect.

I have found out the hard way that the more you help some people the more needy they become.
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
    • Syman
    • By Syman 12th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,496 Posts
    • 6,164 Thanks
    Syman
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:29 PM
    this is why i do not opt to recycle old IT equipment from work. THe person that takes it thinks they are entitled to free support and advice.

i now send the stuff to registered recyclers that break them up for parts.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 49/48
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 12th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2,219 Posts
    • 3,736 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    Time to block their email methinks! Perhaps after forwarding it to the moderators of freegle/wherever it was...
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    • 27,585 Posts
    • 11,168 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:45 PM
    I would respond and point them the errors of their ways. But it sounds like their comments got to you.

Just block and ignore them.

Sounds like they thought you maybe a soft touch, giving an item away rather than ebaying it and having a nice house etc.

I would have commented.. yes i got the house through hard work and not being taken advantage of by......

But your probably better off blocking.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 13th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 6,647 Thanks
    theoretica
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 13th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    I recently gave a printer away with no problems and a nice thank you, but as mentioned above find a very local group the easiest and one offer. If something does not appeal enough to go on first offering the chances seem to increase of more troublesome takers.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Campden
    • By Campden 14th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    Campden
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    Freegle is free and that doesn!!!8217;t always bring out the best in people.

People who don!!!8217;t really want the item may ask !!!8220;because it!!!8217;s free!!!8221;
    People ask for more because they know the person offering is generous and community minded.

But it is still an altruistic and neighbourly way of passing on goods, so don!!!8217;t be discouraged by the odd ungrateful or manipulative user.

Other free re-use groups are available.
    • KRDmum
    • By KRDmum 14th Jul 18, 12:59 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    KRDmum
    I'm sorry Soolin, I know you don't feel like laughing but this made me laugh. It is so true! The ignorance and attitude of some people is appalling. Put a price of 2-5 for it and say 'otherwise it goes to the tip tonight' and suddenly people are happy to drive to you to collect it. I'm a great believer in Karma, and the way I see it - you've done a good deed that wasn't appreciated by the receiver.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 14th Jul 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    epm-84
    I recently had sort of the opposite problem with a printer - printer stops working due to a part breaking but I had spare inks meaning I had inks I could no longer use and a printer which was no good for anyone.

However, this thread reminds me of an episode of Dave Gorman's Life Is Goodish. He started by asking in the audience want a printer he no longer wanted for free. Someone in the audience say they would like it. He went on to reveal how much the printer costs to use (it was one where the ink was quite pricey) and that he was buying a brand new one because it would be cheaper in the long term. He asked the audience member if they still wanted the 'free printer' and they had changed their mind. He then went on to reveal he had been given the printer for free when someone else got a new printer, only to find out at a later date that they had got rid of the printer due to how expensive the ink was.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 14th Jul 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,258 Posts
    • 4,705 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I think my sister used to live across the road from this chap's brother.

When she was moving house, she hired a skip so she could have a good clear out. Part of the rubbish was an old B&W 12" tv which didn't work - the screen only showed half the picture. Mr S, being Mr S, removed the plug before the tv hit the skip.

Knock on the door from guy across the road. Did we know there was a tv in the skip? Yes, it didn't work so it was being thrown out. Guy asked if he could have it. Er, yes - but it didn't work.

Off he trotted with his 'prize' - only to return a few minutes later to ask for the plug. Mr S told him that he had already fitted the plug to another item - because the tv was being thrown out because it didn't work.

Off he went, mumbling - only to return a couple of hours later kicking off that the had spent 'good money' on a new plug, only to find that - the tv didn't work.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 14th Jul 18, 4:39 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    zerog
    I must say I haven't had any experiences like this, I used to do tech support for some organisations and had a lot of old electronic equipment to dispose of.

I listed lots of things for 1p and either they would get bid up to crazy amounts, in which case I'd just post them even though it was stated collection only. Other times, the buyers (always living in rural hamlets / farms) would arrange couriers, I still don't understand why they would pay a courier 20 to ship a "free" item when they could order the same thing but new for 25 from a proper retailer.
    • sebsy
    • By sebsy 15th Jul 18, 2:54 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    sebsy
    Good grief.

Sadly, hearing of behaviour like this doesn't shock me in the slightest.

These people sound like the dumbest, and most entitled people I can think of. Awful, awful people. Honestly, you have offered something out for free and really couldn't have outlined things any more clearly.

I really can't fathom having the gall to act this way, I'd say I'd be embarrassed to act like this, but then I wouldn't do so in the first place because I'm not an awful moron.

Good on you for seemingly keeping so calm with them, I'd have given them a right tearing in my reply.
    • ailey
    • By ailey 16th Jul 18, 12:39 AM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 1,761 Thanks
    ailey
    Oh my goodness, soolin, I'm totally flabbergasted at those people! it beggars belief!

I think they might find that karma will work in the reverse this time. Karma will be good for yourself after having done something good.......but I bet it will be the last time!!
    "For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 20th Jul 18, 8:57 AM
    • 5,272 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Wow I am shocked! Some people must be so used to receiving stuff that they are warped to believe everyone should look after them.

I do find that when I offer stuff for free people mess me around more. They change collection time or don't show and it can seem a hassle. However I've found a good and really active Facebook site for giving things away free and the competition and rules means people behave. I've also found someone who likes my daughter's outgrown clothes who is reliable so I'll just give it all to them in future.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • darrensurrey
    • By darrensurrey 20th Jul 18, 9:04 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    darrensurrey
    Wow. That's mental.

We're not all like that! I've had stuff off Freegle that turned out to be not quite what I wanted and just passed it on because, you know, it's free so any sane person would be a !!!! to complain.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 20th Jul 18, 8:32 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    hollydays
    One of the professional freebie- takers.
    Thinly disguised frauds
    • cazzzie987
    • By cazzzie987 22nd Jul 18, 2:43 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 630 Thanks
    cazzzie987
    I have found people want everything handed to them for nothing. Just because that person was disabled, if that was true, doesn't count for how rude they were!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,160Posts Today

7,751Users online

Martin's Twitter