Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GlamGran
    • By GlamGran 12th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    GlamGran
    Outrageous
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:16 PM
    Outrageous 12th Jul 18 at 12:16 PM
    The driver had a meeting at a coffee shop on Farnborough Business Park and had to park in the road running behind Costa as the Costa car park was full - this small bit of road is a dead end - it just simply runs out. The driver parked at the end of a long line of cars parked on that stretch of the road and was not obstructing traffic in any way.

Imagine the registered keeper's outrage to get a parking fine through the post from UK Car park management (CPM) for 100. There are restrictions on parking there but they are about 8 feet up on lampposts - bright purple signs with small white letters so impossible to read. So can the charge be appealed and is it a legal charge?
    Last edited by GlamGran; 23-07-2018 at 2:10 PM. Reason: didn't use correct terminology
Page 1
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 12th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 37,227 Posts
    • 83,959 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:19 PM
    Edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people.

It is not a fine.

You appear to have missed the sticky thread for NEWBIES that tells you how to deal with this scam, and has a ready made appeal template in blue for the keeper to copy and paste and send.

Don't forget to complain about this unregulated scam to your MP. It's the only way this will ever get stopped.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 9,968 Posts
    • 9,765 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    Put that rightrous indignation to good use, complain to your MP

This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind they will be out of business by Christmas.

f
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 12th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:22 PM
    Indeed, do as told above re editing your post
    This isnt a suggestion. This is not somethign to argue. This is just done, immediately

Read the newbies thread, like you agreed to do.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 12th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,251 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74518345#post74518345
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• GlamGran
    • By GlamGran 23rd Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GlamGran
    • 23rd Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    Unsure
    • 23rd Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    I have read the newbies thread and there is a lot of great information there but I am not sure I've understood quite what my next step should be. The appeal deadline is now passed due to holiday so is it worth still appealing?

If so I think that the appropriate response to UKCPM would be the one size fits all letter as the registered keeper plus as per the additional section on the template letter which suggests attaching hospital or loss of earning receipts the RK could attach a copy of their receipt from Costa who are located on the Business Park to prove they were not just parking there on a whim? Am I correct? Sorry can't work out how to attach the letter I have prepared.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give - it's a big worry to me.
    Last edited by GlamGran; 23-07-2018 at 1:55 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 23rd Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,251 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 23rd Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    Complain to Farnborough business park.

If you don't, you will be sued by UKCPM so the complaint is important/saves hassle.

Don't appeal late, you have just typed exactly what NOT to add to an appeal where you do not want to imply who was driving...and you just did.

Edit your post.

No adding words to the template that say who was driving!! However I can't see the point in appealing late.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• KeithP
    • By KeithP 23rd Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    GlamGran, you have now made two posts and in both of them you have told the world who was driving.

In the very first reply you received you were advised to edit your post.

Not only have you ignored that guidance, but you have repeated the mistake in your latest post.

It was the driver who parked the car.

It was the keeper that received the PCN through the post.

There is no place for the word 'I' when describing events on the day.
    • GlamGran
    • By GlamGran 23rd Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GlamGran
    • 23rd Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 2:13 PM
    thank you to everyone who has pointed out that I did not use the correct terminology. Even though I had read the newbies threads I had failed to realise quite what the 'edit your post' comments where going on about - think I have amended my posts correctly now.

If I complain to the Business Park presumably I have to do so also without admitting liability for the offence?
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 23rd Jul 18, 2:21 PM
    • 3,140 Posts
    • 3,855 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    1) not an offence
    2) just comp;ain about being harassed because the driver (see how easy that is ) parked to use the facilities without causing any obstruction.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 23rd Jul 18, 2:26 PM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,251 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Come on, there is no offence, no fine. Just a scam that you are complaining about.

You ask ''if I complain'' as if you have a choice...you are otherwise choosing court.

I did make that clear already:

Complain to Farnborough business park.

If you don't, you will be sued by UKCPM so the complaint is important/saves hassle.

• KeithP
    • By KeithP 23rd Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    KeithP
    If so I think that the appropriate response to UKCPM would be the one size fits all letter as the registered keeper plus as per the additional section on the template letter which suggests attaching hospital or loss of earning receipts the RK could attach a copy of their receipt from Costa who are located on the Business Park to prove they were not just parking there on a whim? Am I correct? Sorry can't work out how to attach the letter I have prepared.
    Originally posted by GlamGran
    In my opinion, you would be unwise to add anything at all to the template appeal text*.

The reason I say that is once again you have shown that you do not understand that you need to differentiate between the driver and the keeper.

Of course the keeper could attach a copy of the driver's receipt.

Please find this text in post #1 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread and read the linked info:
    "- this is why not to name the driver (thanks to The Slithy Tove for this explanation):"

*but as C-M has already pointed out, no point in appealing late.
    Last edited by KeithP; 23-07-2018 at 2:43 PM.
    • GlamGran
    • By GlamGran 31st Jul 18, 5:17 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GlamGran
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. UKCPM have now issued a Formal Demand in which they say that if the full amount is not paid within 28 days from the day after the date on which this notice was given and the name and full address of the driver of the vehicle is not paid the fine will increase to 149. I have complained to the Business Park and to my MP regarding the PCN and am awaiting their response. On the reverse of the FD there are details of the appeals process identical to that on the PCN. Is it worth appealing the FD? What is the next step once a Formal Demand has been issued?

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 31st Jul 18, 5:26 PM
    • 8,707 Posts
    • 8,619 Thanks
    KeithP
    What is the next step once a Formal Demand has been issued?
    Ignore it.
    • IamEmanresu
    • By IamEmanresu 31st Jul 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 5,068 Thanks
    IamEmanresu
    Have you read post #11

Indignation doesn't cut it. You parked in a controlled area. You were unaware it was controlled becuase - as is usual with this lot - the signs were difficult to see. It is not rocket science as most of these parking companies would have difficulties in flipping burgers.

Stick with the advice and don't overthink it.
    If you want to win - avoid losing first. Here are a few examples
    1. Failing to Acknowledge or Defend https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5760415
    2. Template defences that say nothing https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5818671&page=5#86
    3. Forgetting about the Witness Statement
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 31st Jul 18, 5:46 PM
    • 9,968 Posts
    • 9,765 Thanks
    The Deep
    Why do you keep calling it a fine? It is an invoice from a well known scammer, probably an ex clamper, You need to get a griop on this, treat it with the respect it deserves.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 31st Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 8,159 Posts
    • 10,696 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. UKCPM have now issued a Formal Demand in which they say that if the full amount is not paid within 28 days from the day after the date on which this notice was given and the name and full address of the driver of the vehicle is not paid the fine will increase to 149. I have complained to the Business Park and to my MP regarding the PCN and am awaiting their response. On the reverse of the FD there are details of the appeals process identical to that on the PCN. Is it worth appealing the FD? What is the next step once a Formal Demand has been issued?

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    UKCPM are complete idiots and "formal demand" means nothing
    from these scammers.

They simply cannot add anything else on above the face
    value of the ticket.

You most certainly will not tell them who the driver was, that is
    what they are phishing for.

No point in using their independent appeals process called
    the IPC/IAS as that is another huge scam set up by
    Gladstones solicitors

Next step will be a stupid powerless debt collector chasing
    you and adding on 60 which is also the biggest load
    of rubbish .
    UNDERSTAND DEBT COLLECTORS
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74595605#post74595605

The scam goes around in a circle and you might get a
    letter from Gladstones solicitors, the scam master.

If that says LBC (letter before claim) then come back here
    for all the help you need. Gladstones is a highly incompetent
    solicitor.

You need to confirm to your MP that UKCPM are
    attempting to extort money from you

Last edited by beamerguy; 31-07-2018 at 9:56 PM.
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • GlamGran
    • By GlamGran 9th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    GlamGran
    I have now had responses from both the Business Park Manager - basically upholds UKCPM actions, says they are a reputable company (ha ha) and that as my appeal has been rejected and there are no extenuating circumstances I should pay up! How he knows that my appeal has been rejected since I did not appeal due to missing the appeal deadline as I was on holiday, and how he knows that there were no extenuating circumstances I don't know.

The advice from my MP is to also pay the fine as "previous representations to this company on behalf of another constituent, albeit concerning parking in a different location, met with no success." which is not the response I would have expected.

I have looked at the thread which lists successful outcomes for other people but can't see any relating to UKCPM - I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a successful outcome against UKCPM.

Thanks once again for all your advice- I have to say that this whole thing has caused me a great deal of stress and anxiety at a time when I am least able to cope with it all so your advice and support is most appreciated.
    • Castle
    • By Castle 9th Aug 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 2,539 Thanks
    Castle
    I
    I have looked at the thread which lists successful outcomes for other people but can't see any relating to UKCPM - I would be interested to know if anyone else has had a successful outcome against UKCPM.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5879258
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 18,949 Posts
    • 29,826 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Poke this into Google, then fill your (and your MP's) boots.
    Parking Prankster UKCPM
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin