Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mortgage1st
    • By mortgage1st 12th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 1Thanks
    mortgage1st
    Buying with partner and property ownership (based on deposit)
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:06 PM
    Buying with partner and property ownership (based on deposit) 12th Jul 18 at 12:06 PM
    I am in the process of buying a new property with my partner, they are selling their current property and that will partially fund our deposit on the new property along with savings we have both jointly contributed to.
    I also earn a higher salary and we will therefore make our payments jointly as well.

In returning documents to our solicitor we asked if we could equally own the property 50/50 but in the event of sale, our relationship breaking down etc, etc that my partner was returned the deposit as they where contributing more, our solicitor has since wrote to us and advised that this not possible and we need to own the property by percentage so one gets more than the other in sale.

Naturally I am wanting to ensure that my partner is happy and gets back their deposit if anything should go wrong but on the other hand I don't want to own any less of the property than they do as I've also stumped up savings and will be paying equally to the mortgage if not more.

Any advice on how we handle this sensitive matter is greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 12th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:13 PM
    What you are after is accomplished via deed of trust + tenants in common. Your solicitor should have known that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

921Posts Today

6,899Users online

Martin's Twitter