Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DippyHippy86
    • By DippyHippy86 12th Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DippyHippy86
    What bills do you pay upfront when moving into new home?
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    What bills do you pay upfront when moving into new home? 12th Jul 18 at 11:10 AM
    Title is self explanatory really but it would be nice to know if you have to pay double, a month in advance etc.

Cheers :-)
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    I don't think it's that easy. More to do with the company you choose to use (or inherit).
    • DippyHippy86
    • By DippyHippy86 12th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DippyHippy86
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:20 AM
    I don't think it's that easy. More to do with the company you choose to use (or inherit).
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I understand with utilities :-)

I was just wondering for bills like council tax, tv licencing etc
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 12th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:23 AM
    I don't pay bills upfront and the first time I do when moving to a new property is to take meter readings and switch to a supplier of my choosing, often using the "move home" feature of my supplier in the old property.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 12th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 1,365 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    Originally posted by DippyHippy86

It can be more than that, some companies like in advance, some in arrears. This can be for anything.

If you can stay with the same in the move then not much should change. It's when you change you may go to the opposite method.

Well couincil tax you will have probably paid a month upfront already. however if you move within the same area they will just transfer the DD with maybe a once off catchup if you go up bands.

TV again can juts be transfered.

But of course that assume you are stopping paying for the previous property ;-)
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 12th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:27 AM

Council tax depends on the council and whether your old place was in the same council.

TV licensing is transferable from your old address to the new, so nothing to pay there.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 33,678 Posts
    • 18,261 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:34 AM
    Let or purchase?

If the latter, with a mortgage, you may find you pay a larger first mortgage payment due to accrued interest (interest from the day you complete to the end of that month) plus a regular month's payment.

This can be reduced by completing towards the end of the month. Your conveyancer will explain this further.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • DippyHippy86
    • By DippyHippy86 12th Jul 18, 11:40 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DippyHippy86
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:40 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:40 AM
    Thanks everyone :-)

I am moving out from my in-laws & purchasing a property so some bills I haven't paid for over a year as they have them covered - why I was curious as it has been a while! Lol!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,215Posts Today

9,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin