Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • gracceex
    • By gracceex 12th Jul 18, 10:31 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    First Time Buyer Mortgage
    • #1
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:31 AM
    First Time Buyer Mortgage 12th Jul 18 at 10:31 AM
    Hi all!

    I have just reserved a new build property and a little confused on the type of solicitor I should instruct and how to go about finding one! Has anybody gone with a solicitor that they have found online or would you suggest I go with the solicitor recommended by the developer. The Solicitor they have recommended is coming in at approx 2400 (but I get a 1000 incentive towards legal fees subject to using their recommended broker and solicitor). The solicitors I've found online are coming in around 1200.

Page 1
    • jennhg88
    • By jennhg88 12th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • #2
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    The solicitor the developer suggests will possibly be quicker as they already have all the information for the development.

    However a local solicitor which has a conveyancing department (recommended by friend or family or something?) might be better if you can drop off documents directly etc and aren't reliant on the post.

    So it's swings and roundabouts really. Are you sure the quotes are like for like?
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 12th Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    • 4,507 Posts
    • 8,393 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    • #3
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    Find a local independent solicitor.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 12th Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • #4
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    The type of solicitor you are after is "conveyancing" solicitor. In theory any solicitor can do the job, but for best results for for specialists in the field. The most important thing about the solicitor is for him/her to be on your mortgage lender approved panel.

    Your mortgage broker will be able to recommend one, that fits that criteria. Alternatively you should be able to get the list from the Lender and pick one.

    Speaking of which, be careful when using brokers and solicitors recommended by the developer, often they don't have your interest at hearth, but that of the developer.
    • sheepy21
    • By sheepy21 12th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    • #5
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    • #5
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:25 PM
    Ask around for recommendations, I asked fb friends etc, read reviews. I quickly realised the online companies were on the whole atrocious. In the end we went with the solicitor recommended by the ea, we were originally not planning on it, but we researched the firm and were happy that they were competent. Our solicitor has been fantastic, so no regrets on our end!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,024Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

  • RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

  • It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book

  • Follow Martin