Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kieran1970
    • By Kieran1970 12th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kieran1970
    No contact from executor
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    No contact from executor 12th Jul 18 at 9:49 AM
    Hi,

My husband's father died at the back end of May this year and had left a will etc. He had remarried but had arranged his will so that his new wife could stay in the home and then it would be passed to hubby and his sister, She is 90 btw.

They have heard nothing from the executor but the widow has (who is extremely secretive). What can they do? We don't want to sound like money grabbers but I am not sure things are being done properly. Surely, an executor has to contact all beneficiaries within a space of time??
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 12th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 2,729 Posts
    • 3,040 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:07 AM
    Things can move very slowly - especially if the executor is a solicitor.

There is no requirement for them to contact any beneficiary until they distribute the estate.

If your husband knows who the executor is, has he approached them himself to find out what is happening ?
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 12th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:43 PM
    Hi,

My husband's father died at the back end of May this year and had left a will etc. He had remarried but had arranged his will so that his new wife could stay in the home and then it would be passed to hubby and his sister, She is 90 btw.

They have heard nothing from the executor but the widow has (who is extremely secretive). What can they do? We don't want to sound like money grabbers but I am not sure things are being done properly. Surely, an executor has to contact all beneficiaries within a space of time??
    Originally posted by Kieran1970
    Why not read the answers to the thread where you asked all this before: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5850038

There is nothing to be done at this stage - far too soon to expect much progress to have been made. The executors need to contact beneficiaries within 3 months or probate being granted - and that could be months away, so could be next year before you hear anything.

You keep saying you don't want to sound like money grabbers, but that's exactly what you do sound like.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:09 PM
    Things can move very slowly - especially if the executor is a solicitor.

There is no requirement for them to contact any beneficiary until they distribute the estate.

If your husband knows who the executor is, has he approached them himself to find out what is happening ?
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    Where has the OP actually stated hubby is a beneficiary at this current time?
    • balooney2000
    • By balooney2000 12th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    balooney2000
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    "He had remarried but had arranged his will so that his new wife could stay in the home and then it would be passed to hubby and his sister, She is 90 btw.

OP stated it would pass to hubby and sister!!
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:06 PM
    "He had remarried but had arranged his will so that his new wife could stay in the home and then it would be passed to hubby and his sister, She is 90 btw.

OP stated it would pass to hubby and sister!!
    Originally posted by balooney2000
    No need for exclamation marks.

That doesn't mean they were mentioned in that particular will. It could be just a promise that was made rather than it being in the will.

Only the OP can clarify the exact wording.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 12th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 1,562 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    No need for exclamation marks.

That doesn't mean they were mentioned in that particular will. It could be just a promise that was made rather than it being in the will.

Only the OP can clarify the exact wording.
    Originally posted by Margot123
    No she can't - she hasn't seen the will, according to her other post.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 12th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 936 Posts
    • 718 Thanks
    Dox
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    Hi,

Originally posted by Kieran1970
    In your other post you referred to your FIL as being 'very secretive about money'. You're now banging the same drum about his widow.

The fact that people aren't rushing to tell you whether or nor your husband is going to get his hands on some money doesn't mean they are being extremely secretive; it just means they don't want to discuss it with your husband, nor do they need to at this stage. If he proves to be a beneficiary, the executor (who according to your other post is a professional) will be in touch.

Until then, forget about it - you may never hear from them because he isn't a beneficiary (but you can always buy a copy of the will once/if it has gone to probate, just to confirm).
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 12th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,107 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    No she can't - she hasn't seen the will, according to her other post.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    I meant when she actually gets to see the will. Be that online or some other way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,771Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin