Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sarahkeillor
    • By Sarahkeillor 12th Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Sarahkeillor
    Neighbours complain about dog wee on YARD.
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:42 AM
    Neighbours complain about dog wee on YARD. 12th Jul 18 at 9:42 AM
    So we recently moved in above a deli and a hairdressers. We have a dog and a shared back YARD. No grass, solid concrete. We pick up her mess two or three times a day. One of the neighbours (wouldn't give name or workplace) has just asked us to WASH THE YARD every time the dog has a wee! Which is usually first thing in the morning and last thing at night. They have even gone to the lengths of leaving the back gas wide open in hopes of her running away. We have paid a pet deposit and are more than covered for having her here. We all share a landlord. What can I do about this pathetic behaviour?? considering they are knocking on our BACK door at 9am when I work nights??
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 12th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 7,893 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:52 AM
    So we recently moved in above a deli and a hairdressers. We have a dog and a shared back YARD. No grass, solid concrete. We pick up her mess two or three times a day. One of the neighbours (wouldn't give name or workplace) has just asked us to WASH THE YARD every time the dog has a wee! Which is usually first thing in the morning and last thing at night. They have even gone to the lengths of leaving the back gas wide open in hopes of her running away. We have paid a pet deposit and are more than covered for having her here. We all share a landlord. What can I do about this pathetic behaviour?? considering they are knocking on our BACK door at 9am when I work nights??
    Originally posted by Sarahkeillor
    Just wash it down using a watering can. In this weather dog pee is going to build up and stink, if you think thats acceptable in a shared yard, i think its you who is being pathetic.
    Don't be angry!
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 12th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    • 20,420 Posts
    • 215,737 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:53 AM
    In this weather might be nice to put a watering can of water over the wee once your dog has been, might not smell so nice, especially with a deli nearby.

You say you pick up after the dog two or three times a day, is this whenever the dog leaves something for you to pick up or do you leave it for a while? Again, would not smell so nice.

As for them leaving the back gate wide open, you have to let the dog out so maybe just check the gate when you let it out? Maybe it was normal for the gate to be left open before you moved in? Might be worth putting a polite note through doors saying you would appreciate it if the gate was closed as you have a dog?

Not condoning their actions, just thinking where they are coming from, it is a shared "yard", you all need to think of one another. And do they know you work nights?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Sarahkeillor
    • By Sarahkeillor 12th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sarahkeillor
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:02 AM
    Yes, they know I work nights. We pick up after her as soon as she poops. The person that knocked only said "can't be leaving poop in the yard" there was none. Then someone else, who wouldn't say if they actually worked there, complained about the pee. I think thy work at the hairdresser who don't use the yard for anything other than bins and she doesn't go anywhere near them. Its always on our side of the yard even though its very narrow. Considering making a run just to make things easier.
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 12th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 20,420 Posts
    • 215,737 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    Sorry, but the idea of the run would not eliminate the smell. The smell of dog wee on a sunny day, or any day really is very unpleasant, even if she only goes out to use the bins it is still not nice, and she might have been asked to mention it.

If they are giving you trouble unjustifiably then talk to the landlord.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 12th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 10,107 Posts
    • 125,326 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    Quite right too, that they are complaining, about the smell in this heat.

You must / need to wash down every day, as others have said a watering can will do.

My neighbour has 4 working dogs in kennels in his large garden but this is towards my fence, he washes down twice a day, and we have no small problems, when he moved in he asked after about two weeks or so if we could smell anything and no we couldn't, he asked if we ever did to let him know straight away and he would deal with it.
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 4,452 Posts
    • 6,414 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    Friends I know who have dogs take them out for walks, and would not want their own garden used as a dog toilet.

Using a shared yard in this way seems disgusting.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,543 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Even I wash down where my dogs wee every couple of days to stop the smell and it's my property!!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 12th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 6,894 Posts
    • 14,989 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:25 AM
    Its not pathetic.

Its not your property, it is SHARED.

Leaving your dog mess for everyone else to enjoy is disgusting.

If you work nights, why is there such a problem with washing the dog wee last thing on a night or first thing in the morning? Its your responsibility as a dog owner with shared access to a concrete yard. You keep saying we, so there are 2 of you who can share the job. You only mention yourself working nights so where is the other person? Why can't they do it. Why cant they answer the door at 9am.

Otherwise, treat your dog to their own garden...

As soon as they start complaining to your landlord, hes not going to kick out two long standing businesses over a new tenant with no sense of hygiene or respect for others.
    Last edited by marliepanda; 12-07-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 17,579 Posts
    • 44,456 Thanks
    elsien
    It's not a pathetic request, it's perfectly reasonable . I have a dog and if he wees in the back yard the smell builds up very quickly and is quite unpleasant. At the very least you should be slooshing water on it straight away. Plus a bit of disinfectant once in a while. Water alone won't stop the pong from building up.
    My current dog won't wee in the yard anyway so I take him out for a walk instead. 5 minutes to a big patch of grass down the road (no it's not outside anyone's house before someone complains) is no big deal even late at night. All part of the responsibility of dog ownership. And walks are more fun for the dog -if it's getting proper walks it shouldn't need to be pooing in the yard anyway.
    If I was sharing a communal yard I wouldn't to be tiptoeing round patches of dog urine every time I stepped outside. Does your tenancy agreement contain anything about nuisance to neighbours?
    Last edited by elsien; 12-07-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jul 18, 10:39 AM
    • 17,129 Posts
    • 47,364 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Friends I know who have dogs take them out for walks, and would not want their own garden used as a dog toilet.

Using a shared yard in this way seems disgusting.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Absolutely.

It seems very odd to even let a dog out in a shared yard - never mind letting it go to the loo there. It's not your OWN yard - therefore you can't treat it like it's your OWN yard. It isn't.

I'd have forty fits too and wouldn't be happy about the dog even being in a yard that was mine too (ie how would I know whether it would bark at me/leap up at me/etc/etc - all the stuff those of us that aren't keen on dogs don't want or expect).

As others also have use of the SHARED yard - then they might want to put some plants in containers there for instance. If you think you are entitled to "do your thing" on shared land - then that means they are also entitled to "do their thing" on that shared land.
    Never doubt that a small group of people can change the world. It's the only thing that ever has.

Extinction Rebellion
    • Sarahkeillor
    • By Sarahkeillor 12th Jul 18, 10:50 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sarahkeillor
    Im taking on board the washing it with a watering can, and am also going to section off some of the yard at the bottom of our stairs to make it easier. But before we actually moved in they asked us to make sure we pick up the dogs mess. Which we do. We asked them in turn to keep the gate shut. Which they don't. We pick up every time she poops. And she doesn't pee there frequently. Only very very early and very very late. When its cool. I'm just wondering where I stand on this. They also have dogs over frequently and I've never seen them wash down there pee and there's a chance we pick up their poop too.
    • Sarahkeillor
    • By Sarahkeillor 12th Jul 18, 10:52 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sarahkeillor
    It commercial property downstairs. The only thing they use the yard for is delivery as its the BACK yard. No customers or staff use it and our dog doesn't go out while the deliveries are taking place because she might run out of the gate. There are no potted plants and the landlord has given us permission to use it with the dog.
    • Sarahkeillor
    • By Sarahkeillor 12th Jul 18, 10:56 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Sarahkeillor
    The other person is a vulnerable adult and the dog is his service dog. Not sure if that would change anything which is why I didn't mention it.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 12th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 840 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    We have 3 dogs who wee on concrete daily, we own our own home and have never had 1 single complaint of smell.
    We disinfect the area daily with
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U68AYQG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be a responsible pet owner and do the same, do you really want to upset your neighbours with stinky dog wee.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 12th Jul 18, 11:58 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    This is why landlords aren't keen on people having fur-babies in their property. We had one tenant here who had a 'hearing dog', but it caused such a ruckus among the other tenants, that they eventually left and moved somewhere else.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 17,579 Posts
    • 44,456 Thanks
    elsien
    The other person is a vulnerable adult and the dog is his service dog. Not sure if that would change anything which is why I didn't mention it.
    Not really. Service dogs still need time off to just be dogs. And come with the same responsibilities.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 6,907 Posts
    • 9,109 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Im taking on board the washing it with a watering can, and am also going to section off some of the yard at the bottom of our stairs to make it easier. But before we actually moved in they asked us to make sure we pick up the dogs mess. Which we do. We asked them in turn to keep the gate shut. Which they don't. We pick up every time she poops. And she doesn't pee there frequently. Only very very early and very very late. When its cool. I'm just wondering where I stand on this. They also have dogs over frequently and I've never seen them wash down there pee and there's a chance we pick up their poop too.
    Treat it as two separate issues, because they are. You have a responsibility to clean up promptly after your dog regardless of what others do.

You can remind them about keeping the gate closed, and even look into whether it would be helpful to put a notice on the gate as a reminder, but this is a separate issue.

With regard to the other dog, if you clean up your dog's mess as soon as it is made, I don't see how you can not know whether or not mess is being left by another dog?

However, if anyone complains to you, if you are able to say that you wash down pee and pick up crap as soon as either happens, but remind them that there is another dog which has access to the yard, they can take on board that not all the mess is yours.

If you notice the other dog leaving a mess you can let its owner know.

I believe that there is an exemption for Guide Dog owners in relation to fines for dog fouling (although most will pick up up after their dog where possible) but as far as I am aware, the fact that the other dog is a service dog would not mean that the owner ./ handler would not be responsible for cleaning up after it.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 5,457 Posts
    • 4,104 Thanks
    sheramber
    What will fencing off an area achieve? The smell will not suddenly stop at the fence.

The smell will permeate through windows and doors and around the area outside the yard.

Who are 'they' who have dogs round? the people in the commercial businesses ?
    • w06
    • By w06 12th Jul 18, 12:42 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    w06
    DOI tennant with two dogs

Pee on concrete smells awful very quickly, in the current weather with high temperatures and little rain doubly so.

Your neighbours are not being unreasonable.

Fencing off a section, whilst it may seem a solution, won't address the problem at all and actually you can't as it's a shared yard.

I've a garden but one of my old dogs used to out of habit pee on the slabs just in side the back gate, if i didn't wash it down regularly it smelt like a urinal from yards away.

At the very least rinse the area with a large watering can full of water and a drop of bio washing liquid every time your dog pees.

This is not your neighbours being unreasonable
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,793Posts Today

6,615Users online

Martin's Twitter