Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jul 18, 2:42 AM
    • 1,511Posts
    • 16,320Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Thursday 12th July 2018
    • 12th Jul 18, 2:42 AM
    Old Style Daily Thursday 12th July 2018 12th Jul 18 at 2:42 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jul 18, 3:09 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 16,320 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:09 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 3:09 AM
    Morning everyone

It is supposed to warm up around here again from today and if it does I will go out somewhere for the day. I havenít decided where to go yet, I fancy a change from my usual haunts though.

I am nicely up to date with the housework and washing so the only thing I will have to do is an evening meal when I get in and that will probably be a lamb steak with salad and new potatoes. I got some y/s cheesecake slices in M&S yesterday afternoon so one of those will be dessert.

The neighbours over the road who kept arguing and throwing things at each other moved out yesterday. Hopefully we will get new neighbours who donít shout and swear at each other while throwing things out of the upstairs windows this time. The poor people either side of them have had to put up with a lot for the past three or four years.

Specky clotted cream every time, scones wouldnít be the same without .

Iím not surprised that working is taking it out of you Nelski, you have had an op and wasnít able to work for a while before because of the pain. Be careful, you donít want to risk putting your recovery back.

Elona enjoy your time with your daughter. It will be nice for you both to have some quality time together before the baby arrives.

TA Iím glad that you had a better day yesterday. I hope that you enjoyed your glass of Sauvignon Blanc (my favourite tipple as well). It was a shame about the football, but England did really well and the boys can hold their heads up high and be proud of their achievement in the tournament.

Gers I was pleased to read that your mum is improving now and will be home today or tomorrow.

I hope that you have managed to re-claim your kitchen Judi.

Have a good day everyone.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Jul 18, 5:22 AM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 40,829 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:22 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:22 AM
    Morning

Sad that the boys were kicked out last night but what a fantastic run they had nothing to be ashamed of there.

Last day of courses for this week today so Ill be well ready for a work from home day tomorrow and hopefully not see 4am for a couple of days.

Yesterday was very hard work Large groups and pretty undisciplined so my voice is a bit croaky this morning. My new trainer friend from Tuesday has already come good by passing me some work for Monday which is great and I wont turn it down but its more computer based and Im not sure Im skilled enough myself to teach it but they do say its the best way to learn yourself so Ill give it a go ...lots of prep this weekend.

Today should be a good one although making business writing fun has proved a major prep challenge

So I have a confession...I have been pretty wiped out this week with a not so gentle return to work. As such my house is now at C.H.A.O.S level (cant have anyone over syndrome) as I have a few friends coming for dinner on Sunday then I have to get this sorted. Friday bottoming in order I feel not just a Friday tidy

Hope everyone has a good day and Gers hope you see more improvement in your mum today
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Jul 18, 5:43 AM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 20,385 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:43 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:43 AM
    Good morning everyone and thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey.

Nothing much to report, just checking in to wish everyone well.

We had one drop (1) of rain yesterday and it is now pretty muggy.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Jul 18, 5:56 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 28,780 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:56 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:56 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. Up at silly o'clock again. Worrying as usual about how life will pan out for us. Mr TA's mobility seems to get worse by the day. He has been putting off thoughts of a wheelchair until absolutely necessary but that time has come and I am going to start looking into it. It must improve life a bit for him as the only times he gets out now is for hospital appointments. This has all happened so quickly and been speeded up by all the muscle lost through the rapid weight loss with his inability to digest food.

Today we have the Oncology clinic at Leeds. The car will be coming to pick us up soon after 9.00 and as Mr TA isn't good first thing in a morning I am hoping it doesn't come early.

We have the 3 girls and DD coming for tea after their swimming/diving club so the Bolognese is already simmering away for the Pasta Bake. They would have been sleeping in readiness for school but they are going home afterwards and DD's bf is taking them to school again. He is a treasure that lad and they are so lucky to have him in their lives.

I was very disappointed for our lads last night but they did their best and that's all we could ask. They are a young side so I'm sure it will be onwards and upwards for them after this.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. Pleased there was a slight improvement in your DM yesterday GERS. ROSYRED you could do without neighbourhood battles. And all over something stupid too. Hope it's soon resolved. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 12th Jul 18, 6:25 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    bellabella
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:25 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:25 AM
    Morning all
    Am washed out physically and emotionally today so will be taking to my bed later DD1 has been rushed to hospital and I left home Tuesday at 6pm and came home at 5 am Wednesday morning grabbed a couple of hours sleep then back to the hospital all day as she had a lumber punch as they think she has a spinal infection. All day there pick Ds up at midnight from work and have dropped him at the airport this morning as he is off to Amsterdam for a couple of days . Will be returning to see DD1 in a bit .
    Dolly will be walked after i have had a cuppa and i will try to sort something out for dinner before we go .
    Right I have read the thread but couldn't take it in i am afraid so i will send extra strength and thoughts to those who need them and have a great day whatever you are up to xx
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Jul 18, 6:28 AM
    • 4,712 Posts
    • 43,084 Thanks
    Floss
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:28 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:28 AM
    TA maybe asking your DHs consultants would prompt a quick response for his mobility support - also, are there any extra bits of financial help available for you? I am pleased that you will see your DGDs but also glad that you won't have that extra work of the sleepover. Forgive me for this, but personally I think your DD could begin to encourage her elder daughter to be responsible for her own morning routine - including taking the impact if she makes herself late. I was another whose parents were up & out before me and I was only late once, learning from the experience of missing the bus & having to walk 2 miles. Sorry if I have spoken out of turn.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Jul 18, 6:29 AM
    • 4,712 Posts
    • 43,084 Thanks
    Floss
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:29 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:29 AM
    BellaBella hope your DD has a better day & her health improves soon xx
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 20,385 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 6:33 AM
    bellabella I'm sorry to hear about your daughter being so ill, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

TA, hope it goes well today. Would an OT assessment help address mobility needs?
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 12-07-2018 at 7:00 AM.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 12th Jul 18, 6:57 AM
    • 3,925 Posts
    • 47,574 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Morning All

Hugs to you TA, glad DD's partner is supportive.
    Get well wishes to your DD bella, sounds nasty.
    Hoping your DM gets home today Gers.
    Take it easy Nelski.

Yesterday's rain didn't last long, it wasn't sunny but warm and overcast. I enjoyed the walk to the bank and library, also called in at the Drs, remembered I have to have a booster for HepA after the vaccinations in November, appt made for next Wednesday.

Visit to the allotment saw more courgettes and peas come home, I'm saving enough peas and beans for Christmas dinner in the freezer then we can eat the rest. DD can have some courgette and a mahoosive lettuce someone gave me. Toms just starting to ripen and a couple of mini cucumbers were big enough to pick.

Going to DDs today, her car is being picked up to go for a repair so I'll take it along and we can go for a wander around the shops later. DD and BF should have been getting the keys to their new house tomorrow but there's been a delay, feel really sorry for them.

Hope everyone's well, take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 12th Jul 18, 7:01 AM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 28,780 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    FLOSS and AOD thanks for the input. (But what's an ON assessment AOD?) The trouble is no-one he sees, be it Consultant or GP, has given us any idea of what help is available for his mobility problems and they can see how he struggles walking. I know, I know, I should have asked before it got this bad but I will on the next appointment.

As he only goes to St James for his cancer care (which, incidentally, is causing no problems) I don't think they will be the right people to ask.

BTW there is now a new routine with eldest DGD!! DD got sick to death of trying to get her moving in a morning. If she doesn't move on the first shout she is left there! Plus she now gets a lift to school with her friend and her mum. The mum has changed her hours and can drop her own DD at school on the way to work. So DD goes to their house for 8.00 and if she isn't there on time they will leave her! So far it's working! It makes life less stressful for DD too!

BELLABELLA special hugs and I really hope today is a better day for you all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 12th Jul 18, 7:16 AM
    • 12,496 Posts
    • 40,829 Thanks
    Nelski
    bellabella sorry to hear about your daughter hoping she recovers soon
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 16,320 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    bellabella I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope that she gets well soon xx

TA I hope that all goes well with the oncology appointment today xx
    • redruby
    • By redruby 12th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    • 6,717 Posts
    • 93,714 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Nice day here again and meant to be another scorcher here again, off to work for me but Thursday is my favourite client day at work they are all full on and very noisy but a great fun bunch.

Such a shame about the football last night but they should be very proud that they got that far

Bella I do hope your dd improves today and that you manage to get some rest xx

Not sure abut dinner tonight, I might do a bbq as we seem to have pork steaks and sausages hanging around the fridge, will see though.

Rosyred that one neighbour must be daft, to make all the houses go through that because he s jealous ???

TA phone your local council and ask to be put through to social services, tell them your situation and ask for a Occupational therapy assessment, they should come to your house and advise exactly what help and aides are available to your DH (I think that's right isn't it AOD ? )

Right need to get on have good days all xx
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 12th Jul 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,688 Posts
    • 20,385 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    TA I have corrected it, should be OT, occupational therapist assessment. Spot on redruby, they should visit to assess and you may find that the OT has some useful suggestions for various forms of assistance, both in the house and out and about.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 18, 7:55 AM
    • 6,530 Posts
    • 41,810 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning folks.

Although, unfortunately football isn't coming home though my DM is! Huge relief all round. Before then I've got a hair cut this morning. I gambled on Friday being home day and lost.

TA - my heart goes out to you and hubby. The situation you're in is awful. As for social services, that's the place to go for help, and someone at the hospital should be referring you. Ask. It's often forgotten about. It's good to hear that you've got some respite from overnight stays.

bellabella - - so sorry about your DD, I hope that treatment really helps.

I'm sending out good vibes to everyone, happy Thursday.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 12th Jul 18, 8:14 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 6,332 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning friends

Thank you for starting us off Holly

Bellabella sorry to hear about your daughter, hope she improves soon

Gers hope your Mum continues to improve and can go home soon

TA hugs

Yesterday started cooler but it didn't last long, still so hot and not a sign of rain.
    Plans for today, visit mother then very little. I should do so many jobs around the house but just cannot summon the energy, everything just gets a quick wipe,need to do a deep clean and don't mention the windows.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 12th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 4,712 Posts
    • 43,084 Thanks
    Floss
    TA that sounds like a good plan for eldest DGD, and also for the OT assessment xx
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 12th Jul 18, 8:25 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 27,450 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Everything feels a little flat here today after yesterdayís football disappointment, that said am incredibly proud of how much our young players & manager achieved, also how they conducted themselves as in the past this has been somewhat woeful.
    Itís the usual food shop this morning, catch up on the washing and then over to see Lu, quelle surprise, am so sorry for the repetitive posts!

Pleased to read that your DM will be going home today Gers.
    Hope that your DD is ok Bellabella.
    Hugs for the TAís and all with worries and cares.

Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 12th Jul 18, 8:29 AM
    • 1,979 Posts
    • 16,039 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Still got this ruddy tickly cough.

Spent time with the family yesterday as it was my step-dads birthday. I bought him a cake, his favourite beer and a card and we watched the England game together.

Working a 14 hour shift today. Is it home time yet?

bellabella - I hope DD makes a speedy recovery. And so do you by the sounds of it!!
    Gers - thats good news, indeed.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,603Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin