Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Brigidir
    local "tick" card - is the debt enforceable?
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:33 PM
    local "tick" card - is the debt enforceable? 11th Jul 18 at 8:33 PM
    My local off licence runs a tick scheme where he gives you a electronic card that you can use in their shop to buy things and pay 30 days later. you get an email with an invoice of what is owed and when by.

i forgot to pay last months invoice due on 9th for 137 and the payments system wont let me so i went in the shop. the shopkeeper got someone on the phone i think it was the shop owner and he was quite rude and hostile. said to come back with the money in cash and that he has all my address and details - which i saw as quite intimidating.

A friend of mine said i didnt sign anything under credit act or something therefore the debt isnt enforceable by law. After the way i was treated he said i shouldn't bother paying them in cash and demand to pay securely through the normal internet site.

Im scared that if i don't pay it how they want me to then he might send collections people after me or make threats against me so want to check here if this type of debt is enforceable and whether i virtually agreed to credit when i started using their electronic tick card?

thanks in advance
Page 1
    • discat11
    • By discat11 11th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 493 Thanks
    discat11
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:11 PM
    just pay them in any reasonable way they want paying, ensure you have a verifiable record and don't use them again.
    'legally enforceable'? what pish. You either owe the debt or you don't.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 19,847 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    Just pay it and keep your self respect. Double win.
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:38 PM
    if it isnt legally enforceable why should i? thats what i wanted you to answer. if there was no contract signed under consumer credit act what legal powers do they have to catch the debt?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 19,847 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:43 PM
    if it isnt legally enforceable why should i?
    Originally posted by Brigidir
    Decency?
    Honesty?
    Self respect?
    Because you owe the money?
    Because you're stealing their income?
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:56 PM
    Decency?
    Honesty?
    Self respect?
    Because you owe the money?
    Because you're stealing their income?
    Originally posted by zx81
    and you would pay it back in my case - even if they spoke to you like that and the debt wasnt even contractual??
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 19,847 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    Yes.

What an extraordinary question.
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 11th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    jimbo26
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:59 PM
    Just pay what you owe
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    Does he have a licence to operate/offer credit? Ask him that it might shut him up if the truth is no.
    Originally posted by venison
    i've googled the software he uses for the electronic cards and its basically just a balance thingy to store info about purchases and balances. i didn't sign any credit agreement and he hands them out to under 18s as well which is wrong because the parents get phoned up as one told me. who would do that on a licence?

i dont care what the goody-two-shoes say above. i know if the shoe was on the other foot and they were spoken to badly they wouldnt bother paying and not go back to the shop.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 11th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Ergates
    and you would pay it back in my case - even if they spoke to you like that and the debt wasnt even contractual??
    If you lent someone 137 and they refused to pay it back because you didn't get them to sign anything and you were a bit rude to them, would you feel that was fair and just?
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    If you lent someone 137 and they refused to pay it back because you didn't get them to sign anything and you were a bit rude to them, would you feel that was fair and just?
    Originally posted by Ergates
    i would. it wasnt a bit rude. he was pure arrogant and nasty about it. changed payment terms simply because i was 12 hours late with paying online.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 11th Jul 18, 10:06 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    boo_star
    Does he have a licence to operate/offer credit? Ask him that it might shut him up if the truth is no.
    Originally posted by venison
    And if he isn't it will likely result in this "scheme" coming to an end, which will ultimately mean the OP is shooting themselves in the foot.
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    And if he isn't it will likely result in this "scheme" coming to an end, which will ultimately mean the OP is shooting themselves in the foot.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    i wouldnt go there again after that anyway so no love lost here
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 19,847 Thanks
    zx81
    i

i dont care what the goody-two-shoes say above. i know if the shoe was on the other foot and they were spoken to badly they wouldnt bother paying and not go back to the shop.
    Don't apply your own lack of values to others simply to make yourself feel better.

Stand by your decision if you believe in it but don't try to drag others to your level.
    • jimbo26
    • By jimbo26 11th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 475 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    jimbo26
    You've clearly made up your mind not to pay it, so deal with the consequences.
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 10:09 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    Don't apply your own lack of values to others simply to make yourself feel better.

Stand by your decision if you believe in it but don't try to drag others to your level.
    Originally posted by zx81
    do you apply that train of thought to loan sharks as well then? ah well, just pay em off because of moral values. not to spite the fact they are unlicensed unregulated and unfair bullies.
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 11th Jul 18, 10:11 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Ergates
    i would. it wasnt a bit rude. he was pure arrogant and nasty about it. changed payment terms simply because i was 12 hours late with paying online.
    You'd just write off 137 of debt that someone owed you. Just like that. You'd just wave your hands in the air and say "Oh well, fair enough"

I don't believe you.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 11th Jul 18, 10:11 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    boo_star
    Shopkeepers are rarely "rolling in it" so his arrogance and nastiness was likely because he's worried about paying his own bills.

Even then, maybe you should speak to "collections" at a major bank. You'll find they're anything but polite.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 18,595 Posts
    • 19,847 Thanks
    zx81
    You're struggling with this personal responsibility concept aren't you?
    • Brigidir
    • By Brigidir 11th Jul 18, 10:12 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Brigidir
    Shopkeepers are rarely "rolling in it" so his arrogance and nastiness was likely because he's worried about paying his own bills.

Even then, maybe you should speak to "collections" at a major bank. You'll find they're anything but polite.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    at-least they are regulated and licenced. these people are cowboys.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,652Posts Today

7,897Users online

Martin's Twitter