Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tarloweh
    • By tarloweh 11th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    tarloweh
    Buying a door lock off eBay, bad idea?
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:28 PM
    Buying a door lock off eBay, bad idea? 11th Jul 18 at 8:28 PM
    Might sound really dumb but someone is selling a door mortice sash lock as "new" but someone can easily make a copy of the key and burgle your home. Just wondering how so many people buy them as the seller will have you address. I'm guessing most of the sold must be sealed, perhaps i should avoid this one?
Page 1
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 11th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    pramsay13
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:59 PM
    Sounds a bit far-fetched to me but I guess in theory a possibility.

If it's a real worry for you get it delivered to somewhere else or just go to a shop and buy one.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 7,755 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    martindow
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    You could always buy from a distant seller if you are worried - the further away you are the less worthwhile it would be to do anything.

In reality I think you are worrying too much.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 12th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:57 AM
    How much does it really worry you? That is, how much in money terms? You can always pay more and buy one in a hardware store, pay by cash and walk out with an anonymous lock if that eases your worries and squares the cost/worry circle.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 12th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 15,976 Posts
    • 21,959 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 1:17 PM
    It is something I would NEVER do. I wonder if they sell on the list of addresses and a copy of the key to criminals...! Unlikely, but not worth a risk.

I would have it sent to work instead!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 6th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    perfect10
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    can't you use click and collect from local shop? Never used this service so no idea whether they still have your address?
    Entering a few comps here and there still waiting for that elusive 'big' win!!
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 6th Aug 18, 11:23 PM
    • 16,374 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:23 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:23 PM
    I'd more be thinking cheap Chinese lock
    Your thinking is too paranoid and I'm very cautious
    Last edited by hollydays; 06-08-2018 at 11:26 PM.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 7th Aug 18, 12:43 AM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 5,088 Thanks
    RFW
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:43 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:43 AM
    First, I've never heard of it, obviously doesn't mean it hasn't happened but is unlikely.
    Second, if it was happening they'd want to know you were buying it for your property and which door you were putting it on.
    Third, they'd need to know if you were worth robbing. If you are the kind of person who buys second hand locks on Ebay then probably not
    I know crime is rife but the people who do house robberies are either doing it to feed a habit or someone doing it because it's worthwhile. Your average criminal isn't going to chance a fifteen year stretch on the off chance that someone 200 miles away might be worth robbing. If they're in the next street, then you can panic.

All that said, if you don't think it's worth it don't do it. Head along to your local DIY store but pay cash and make sure no one follows you home.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 8th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,864 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:31 AM
    Highly unlikely that a seller will be copying keys ready for an easy walk in burglary. The people you have to worry about live around you.
    Try joining your local neighbourhood watch on Facebook. Its now becoming one of my most used websites observing "named and shamed, shed and house burglars, car thieves. .
    We all know that the Police have given up on protecting us from lowlife spice addicts. Join Facebook local neighbourhood watch and find out yourself how and where they are operating in your area.
    Someone living hundreds of miles away won t be bothering you.
    Tip...., if you have any Euro type locks fitted to double glazed doors , only use a "snapsafe" type lock sold by Squire or Yale. Bump locking burglars can get in fairly silently in a minute or two at the most if the locks are the usual cheap ones which came with the door. The cheap Euro locks easily snap at their weakest point.. Bump locking is one of the most used methods to enter a property. Does nt matter how many bars the door has, 4, 5, 6 they are all controlled by a cheap and nasty Euro lock costing 2 most of the time. See the bump lock method in action on Youtube to see how easy it is.
    The Squires and Yales are over 20 but very easy to fit.
    Last edited by Houbara; 08-08-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter