Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 11th Jul 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,029Posts
    • 3,325Thanks
    ajbell
    First utility smart meter
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:27 PM
    First utility smart meter 11th Jul 18 at 8:27 PM
    Keep getting emails threatening to put me on standard tariff if I don't contact them about getting a smart meter fitted.
    I am signed up to a cheap deal based on getting a smart meter but do they carry out their threats or should i just ignore?.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
Page 1
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 11th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:53 PM
    Read the small print of your contract is what I would do.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 11th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 64,932 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    The clue is in the name - to get and keep the tariff you have to have a smart meter fitted and, by refusing one, you are breaking the tariff terms and conditions.

They therefore within their rights to put you on their standard tariff if you continue to refuse the things.

Look on the bright side - they are effectively paying you to have the things by giving you a discount on their charges to have them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

483Posts Today

5,464Users online

Martin's Twitter