Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jamesx81
    • By Jamesx81 11th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Jamesx81
    Enforcement Agents
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:35 PM
    Enforcement Agents 11th Jul 18 at 7:35 PM
    Hi

I am currently dealing with an enforcement agent over a warrant they are acting on and what I am wanting to know is can they take a vehicle on HP?

I am not refusing payment just trying to explain I cannot pay all in one go so can over a few payments but rather than listening they are threatening me with every tactic in their user book by looks of it to try get me to pay in full.

Fairly sure goods on hire purchase cannot be seized but keep reading about this so called grey area surrounding seizing vehicles on hire purchase etc not sure what grey area this is but bottom line is I do not own the vehicle, the hire purchase company does.

Many thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 13,717 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:54 PM
    No gray area, they cannot seize goods on hire purchase as the goods belong to the finance company not you.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:59 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:59 PM

Hi Jamesx81,

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a grey area with HP goods and bailiffs. There are different legal views about whether bailiffs can take control of an item subject to a hire purchase or conditional sale agreement.

You would need to check the terms and conditions of the HP agreement and if it states that you can accrue a money interest then it may be possible for the bailiffs to take action against that interest. In practice the bailiffs are only likely to consider this if you have paid enough to accrue the interest, but because of the potential risk, it would be advisable to the car from now on, away from the property and on private land to prevent a risk of clamping.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,041Posts Today

8,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How do you maintain performance at work when under pressure?... What about you? Part 2 of my bit of the? https://t.co/G5Cej3GYuz

• What does resilience mean to you? For me it?s understanding my own limitations, physically and mentally? What about? https://t.co/CuuRLoQFTr

• Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• Follow Martin