Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 11th Jul 18, 6:08 PM
    • 4,263Posts
    • 5,548Thanks
    westernpromise
    Hilarious finding about Audi drivers
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:08 PM
    Hilarious finding about Audi drivers 11th Jul 18 at 6:08 PM
    This completely fits with my perception of Audi drivers as vacuous cretins obsessed with shiny bling but without a brain cell in their heads?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/should-rent-next-car/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
    PCP was mostly used for new vehicles, under four years old, with Audis the most popular choice.

Why am I not surprised that Audi drivers would hock themselves up to the neck to drive an Audi they don't own? Are they (gasp!) a bit shallow and thick?
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
Page 2
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Jul 18, 7:00 PM
    • 17,882 Posts
    • 10,908 Thanks
    motorguy
    What is the point of these PCP hire schemes or whatever you call them. Every story I hear is where the hirer is in negative equity.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    The point with PCP is deposit, fixed payments, and options at the end of term.

When its finished, either rinse and repeat or walk away and do something else next time.

They suit a lot of people because they can wrap up the motoring costs in to one monthly payment to include depreciation, warranty and sometimes servicing.

You will be in negative equity for most of the term, but not one jot should you give as its not your problem, nor is it relevant.

It only becomes relevant IF you try to get out of the agreement before the end of the term and if you do then you may be in negative equity, just like you might be if you had HP or a loan.

The people who have "problems" with a PCP deal are in a very small minority and the bulk of them are having problems because often they "fancy something new" and then seem shocked that its going to cost them money to get out of the 3 or 4 year deal they committed to.

But i suspect you know all this....
    Last edited by motorguy; 12-07-2018 at 7:02 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jul 18, 7:30 PM
    • 13,612 Posts
    • 9,107 Thanks
    photome
    I love asking people who have spent a fortune on cars technical questions such as "how many cylinders has it got?" or "Is it front wheel drive?". They normally respond with comments like "it's blue".
    Originally posted by fred246
    Why does it matter

Do you know the answer to technical questions about everything
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 12th Jul 18, 11:20 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    ratrace
    Why does it matter

Do you know the answer to technical questions about everything
    Originally posted by photome

You will find this type, in the local library looking for a book called "How to make babies"by haynes, before partaking in such a complicated endeavour and maknig sure that all the health and safety guidelines have been met lol
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 13th Jul 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    Arklight
    When I used to have the Almera, she was a magnificent Lady of the Roads, in metallic blue. She was a bit slow though, doing 0-60 in about 17 seconds with your foot flat down in 3rd. I can only assume the Audi drivers were secretly quite jealous because it was usually them driving 3 inches behind me from the lights to get a better look, while they waved and went red.

They don't seem as interested in my new car.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 13th Jul 18, 10:10 AM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    fred246
    It reminds me of an interview I once saw of people that had camped out for 3 nights to get the latest iPhone. The interviewer asked them what feature of the phone they were particularly interested in. They hadn't got a clue! No idea of any new features. Just wanted to be seen with latest iPhone. You do have to feel sorry for these people.
    • barryisland
    • By barryisland 13th Jul 18, 10:59 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    barryisland
    It reminds me of an interview I once saw of people that had camped out for 3 nights to get the latest iPhone. The interviewer asked them what feature of the phone they were particularly interested in. They hadn't got a clue! No idea of any new features. Just wanted to be seen with latest iPhone. You do have to feel sorry for these people.
    Why?

If thats what gets them through then fine. I personally wouldnt, however i dont go round judging other people on what they do or have and then smugly feel sorry for them, as you seem to do. What does it matter to you what they do? They've the memory of the excitement and the anticipation and something to share with their mates.

Maybe in 20 years time they'll look back and say to their mates "hey remember the time we camped out for the new iPhone, sure hadnt we great craic?" Or maybe they'll think "well that was dumb but i was young at the time and thought no better of it". Who cares?

Its their lives, their money.

If your life is so perfect, why are so many of your posts about you judging others and adapting a superior stance? Is it that important to you to feel better than them? Does that not say something about you not them?
    Last edited by barryisland; 13-07-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 13th Jul 18, 11:33 AM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    Not surprising with all that pulling power:

https://metro.co.uk/2013/05/30/audi-car-owners-most-likely-to-cheat-on-their-partners-3821249/

Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 13th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    Stoke
    This completely fits with my perception of Audi drivers as vacuous cretins obsessed with shiny bling but without a brain cell in their heads?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/should-rent-next-car/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
    PCP was mostly used for new vehicles, under four years old, with Audis the most popular choice.

Why am I not surprised that Audi drivers would hock themselves up to the neck to drive an Audi they don't own? Are they (gasp!) a bit shallow and thick?
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    I dunno. I'll ask myself when I look in the mirror tonight, not that I currently have one. I have a BMW right now..... cuz I iz so stupidooo.

No offence, but you come across like the dimtard in this thread. Your OP actually undermines whatever point it is you are trying to make.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 13th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    Stoke
    I love asking people who have spent a fortune on cars technical questions such as "how many cylinders has it got?" or "Is it front wheel drive?". They normally respond with comments like "it's blue".
    Yeah..... and I suspect that when you ask them how many cylinders that 60 grand RS4 has, as they stand their sporting a 3 grand Omega Seamaster 300, outside their massive house in Alderley Edge...... they're really really jealous of you, and your 1989 Ford Orion "dat i'm gonna stick a cosseh engine in one daaay".

No..... they're not. They don't give a !!!!.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 13th Jul 18, 12:18 PM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    Stoke
    Vacuous cretins? Really?

My missus has a little Audi and she’s not a cretin. She went to university to study hard and now has a good job.

That word...job. Perhaps if you got yourself a job instead of posting on internet forums over 20 times a day during times everyone else is working hard then you could have nice things too.

You utter bafoon.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    Yeah but this is MSE, so people shouldn't be allowed nice things!!!! Unless they're cheap and nasty.

I'm all for Bangernomics (heck, check out my very many contributions in the Bangernomics thread) and I'm all for cheap motoring.... however, if someone works hard 5 days a week and decides one day to buy an Audi. Crack on. Same for a BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, Lexus, any of the luxury cars. Crack right on and enjoy yourself while you are at it. You only live once and you definitely don't take it with you.

I'm not suggesting people should over stretch just to own something flash, but I really have no issue with someone buying a 'nice' (subjective) car if they have the money to do so. What I have an issue with, is people who finance themselves up to the eyeballs with stuff from Brighthouse and cars on PCP. They are the people who I think are taking serious risks.

Of course, the only MSE approved vehicle is the Dacia Sandero....... not that anyone truly wants to own one..... but you get MSE points.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 13th Jul 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    fred246
    A Dacia Sandero and an Audi would do the same job. I would trust the Sandero to be more reliable as it has tried and trusted parts and less gimmicks. I would expect repair costs to be lower. I would be happier to park the Sandero anywhere. I would feel it was less likely to be vandalised. Dacias are proving to be very popular. People like the idea of a car that just does the job and doesn't try to be too clever.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 2,165 Thanks
    Car 54

When I bought my first car, a 10-year-old Beetle, I knew how it worked, and could fix most things, if necessary.

40-odd years later, I have a Jaguar. I couldn't even attempt to fix anything, so I don't need to know how it works. I'm pretty confident it's got 4 cylinders and RWD, but I don't know how many gears it's got - 8, or possibly 7.

And it's Ammonite Grey.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 13th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 17,882 Posts
    • 10,908 Thanks
    motorguy
    A Dacia Sandero and an Audi would do the same job. I would trust the Sandero to be more reliable as it has tried and trusted parts and less gimmicks. I would expect repair costs to be lower. I would be happier to park the Sandero anywhere. I would feel it was less likely to be vandalised. Dacias are proving to be very popular. People like the idea of a car that just does the job and doesn't try to be too clever.
    I dont think anyone was criticising a Dacia Sandero. If someone is happy with one, then great. They're quite efficient little cars.

I personally like my cars to be more than just the lowest common denominator to get from A to B, hence it wouldnt be for me.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Jul 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,554 Posts
    • 1,573 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    You could run the London marathon in a pair of asda trainers or £100 Nike's. But I know where £100 is better spent.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 13th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,593 Thanks
    jimbo747
    I bought my NX on PCP, but that's because Lexus gave a financial contribution. Just pay it off within 14 days. I imagine a number of BMW Audi and Merc drivers do the same, so PCP figures look high. Fellow director bought an i8, seemed to make financial sense to PCP, no lease deals came close and it means he can keep his cash in stocks and shares.
    • madvicker
    • By madvicker 13th Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    madvicker
    Ah, I see what you did there ;-)
    • ProseccoGirl
    • By ProseccoGirl 14th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    ProseccoGirl
    As an Audi A3 convertible driver I thought i'd post by way of balance...as some of us aren't like the stereotype.

I like to think that I am a courteous and patient driver. I use my indicators, I let people in/out at junctions, I don't hoon around. I don't believe that I "own the road", or that the badge on my car matters

I bought mine at 5 yrs old, cash, and the only reason I got an Audi A3 was it was the nearest direct replacement for my old Astra Bertone Convertible that got written off.

Badges and Brands don't bother me.

So, I'll continue to try and raise the bar for the image of us Audi drivers!!!!!
    "I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun, you've got the top pulled down and the radio on"
    • prowla
    • By prowla 14th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 10,105 Posts
    • 8,332 Thanks
    prowla
    I have 3 cars; one I bought on a loan, one for cash, and one under a PCP scheme.

(None are Audi.)
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 14th Jul 18, 11:35 AM
    • 2,113 Posts
    • 3,596 Thanks
    rudekid48
    When I got my first new "prestige" brand car, I noticed an immediate difference in the way that a lot of other road users behaved towards me; speeding up rather than letting me out of a junction, speeding up to stop me changing lanes on a motorway, forgetting how to merge at the end of dual carriageways, slowing down in overtaking lanes to make sure I couldn't get past etc etc etc.

You really do notice the difference. Before trying to reinforce stereotypes, maybe some people should take a long hard look in the mirror and address their own petty jealousies.

What car people choose to drive & how they choose to pay for it is irrelevant; a £50 banger or a £50k Audi will cause the same carnage if its driven by a moron. The car doesn't know what hang-ups the driver has. Someone with an inferiority complex driving a banger is just as likely to kill you as someone with a superiority complex driving driving a BMW/Audi/Merc and when they both meet on the road then we've all seen what can happen.

Just be nice to everyone on the road - it's better for your own health and everyone else's safety.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • James2k
    • By James2k 14th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    James2k
    When I got my first new "prestige" brand car, I noticed an immediate difference in the way that a lot of other road users behaved towards me; speeding up rather than letting me out of a junction, speeding up to stop me changing lanes on a motorway, forgetting how to merge at the end of dual carriageways, slowing down in overtaking lanes to make sure I couldn't get past etc etc etc.

You really do notice the difference. Before trying to reinforce stereotypes, maybe some people should take a long hard look in the mirror and address their own petty jealousies.

What car people choose to drive & how they choose to pay for it is irrelevant; a £50 banger or a £50k Audi will cause the same carnage if its driven by a moron. The car doesn't know what hang-ups the driver has. Someone with an inferiority complex driving a banger is just as likely to kill you as someone with a superiority complex driving driving a BMW/Audi/Merc and when they both meet on the road then we've all seen what can happen.

Just be nice to everyone on the road - it's better for your own health and everyone else's safety.
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    i notice no difference in how people act towards me whether i'm in my white S5 Convertible or grey 2003 Grand Cherokee.

infact i've never noticed anyone acting differently, regardless of what i drive. mayhap some people look for these things..

Oh and both paid for with cash. sorry op

edit 2: oh and between them they have 14 cylinders and 12 (forward) gears, dont see anything wrong in knowing what you are buying!
    Last edited by James2k; 14-07-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,542Posts Today

9,511Users online

Martin's Twitter