Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 11th Jul 18, 6:08 PM
    • 4,263Posts
    • 5,542Thanks
    westernpromise
    Hilarious finding about Audi drivers
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:08 PM
    Hilarious finding about Audi drivers 11th Jul 18 at 6:08 PM
    This completely fits with my perception of Audi drivers as vacuous cretins obsessed with shiny bling but without a brain cell in their heads?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/should-rent-next-car/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
    PCP was mostly used for new vehicles, under four years old, with Audis the most popular choice.

Why am I not surprised that Audi drivers would hock themselves up to the neck to drive an Audi they don't own? Are they (gasp!) a bit shallow and thick?
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
Page 1
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 11th Jul 18, 6:40 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:40 PM
    This completely fits with my perception of Audi drivers as vacuous cretins obsessed with shiny bling but without a brain cell in their heads?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/should-rent-next-car/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget
    PCP was mostly used for new vehicles, under four years old, with Audis the most popular choice.

Why am I not surprised that Audi drivers would hock themselves up to the neck to drive an Audi they don't own? Are they (gasp!) a bit shallow and thick?
    Originally posted by westernpromise

Why is this such a big deal

Most New cars are bought via some form of finance its the only way manufacturers can sell them despite of the brand, everyone is diffrent and have diffrent goals in life some people want a nice car thats under manufacturer's warranty, want mod cons etc...

its a lifestlye choice people make in life, some people want a nice car and make sacrifices elsewhere some dont after all its their money and choice who is anybody to say how people should spend their money

i know this is a money saving site so peoples views are diffrent, say to other forums but top end manufacturers such as for eg: bmw, merc, audi dont target customers like me hence i drive a bog standerd astra

all im saying really is live and let live, life will be a lot more pleasant

ps: Come on england
    Last edited by ratrace; 11-07-2018 at 6:42 PM. Reason: old laptop
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are

Rat Race
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 11th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 662 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    If you had actually taken in the facts highlighted in the article you would realise that, rather than being vacuous cretins, they were making a sensible decision.

As it says -

"Prestige cars such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and Land Rover, which hold their value over time, are well-suited to PCP financing.

The final balloon payment will be high, but if you!!!8217;re happy to give the car back at the end of the deal, this shouldn!!!8217;t be a problem."

You obviously have a problem with people who drive such cars. Chill out and get on with your own life.

Oh, and before you ask, I drive a 6 year old Ford.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th Jul 18, 8:04 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:04 PM

Hilarious finding? You dont get out much do you?

Apart from anything that "news" article is a good 15 years behind the times. I'd say 95% of privately bought brand new cars are PCP'd or leased and its been that way for a decade at least. So hardly "hot off the press" news.

How do you know they "hock themselves up to the neck" by the way? Maybe they just earn more than you and are happy to spend some of their disposable income on the car they want?

PCPing or leasing can often be cheaper or no more expensive than buying the car outright and running it over the same timeframe.

Most people get paid monthly, all their other bills are monthly, so a monthly car "rental" can make sense.

I dont own an Audi btw, so not defending them.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 11th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 5,407 Posts
    • 6,092 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:55 PM

That is a very large chip you have on your shoulders. Perhaps time to grow up and get a life.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 11th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 6,120 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:05 PM
    You do know what Audi stands for, don't you?

Achtung! Useless Driver Inside
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 11th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:04 PM

To complete the quote, as you left out the start of the paragraph...

"Richard Tyler, of car dealership McCarthy Cars, said PCP was mostly used for new vehicles, under four years old, with Audis the most popular choice."

Well as reliable of a source as i'm sure Richard Tyler the car dealer is, you will find that Audi was actually only the 6th most popular manufacturer in terms of cars sold in 2017:

https://www.smmt.co.uk/vehicle-data/car-registrations/

Ford outsold them by nearly 2-fold, and considering >90% of all new cars bought are on PCP, it's highly highly likely that the most popular choice of car bought on PCP in the UK is going to be a Ford or a Vauxhall....

Disclosure, I had an Audi on PCP and regret doing it ever since. I think PCP's are a poor financial product overall. I now do not own a car...
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 11th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 2,864 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    I think you'd have to look at the OP's other postings on different topics to realise it's not much point responding to him as he makes the Daily Mail look left wing and sensible.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 11th Jul 18, 11:36 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:36 PM
    I am leasing an Audi just now.

Due to the better depreciation of the marque, it!!!8217;s costing me less per month than it would for the Skoda I originally thought I would lease.

Don!!!8217;t care it!!!8217;s an Audi, just wanted the best value car in its class with a decent spec.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 12th Jul 18, 10:03 AM
    • 717 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    OP obviously an Audi-driving wannabee but can't afford it
    • woolythoughts
    • By woolythoughts 12th Jul 18, 10:20 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    woolythoughts
    I'm PCP'ing a brand new Merc E class convertible. It was a considered decision taking into what I wanted, what I enjoy driving etc.

I do 25k+ miles a year so I want to enjoy what I'm spending over 10 hours a week on the motorway in.

The PCP lease is based on 30K miles a year no not ridiculously low.

Frankly, what I spend my money on is my choice so long as its is a considered one
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 12th Jul 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    droopsnoot

All people who generalise are stupid.

(Yes, btw, two, though neither are all that shiny at the moment.)
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 2,609 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Why is this such a big deal

Most New cars are bought via some form of finance its the only way manufacturers can sell them despite of the brand, everyone is diffrent and have diffrent goals in life some people want a nice car thats under manufacturer's warranty, want mod cons etc...
    Originally posted by ratrace
    75% of all new cars are sold on PCP type deals.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 12th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 1,578 Thanks
    eschaton

I guess you don't understand the definition of hilarious?
    • waamo
    • By waamo 12th Jul 18, 4:51 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 5,476 Thanks
    waamo
    This is as hilarious as toothache.
    This space for hire.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 12th Jul 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    fred246
    I love asking people who have spent a fortune on cars technical questions such as "how many cylinders has it got?" or "Is it front wheel drive?". They normally respond with comments like "it's blue".
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 12th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    docmatt
    Vacuous cretins? Really?

My missus has a little Audi and shes not a cretin. She went to university to study hard and now has a good job.

That word...job. Perhaps if you got yourself a job instead of posting on internet forums over 20 times a day during times everyone else is working hard then you could have nice things too.

You utter bafoon.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th Jul 18, 6:48 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    motorguy
    I love asking people who have spent a fortune on cars technical questions such as "how many cylinders has it got?" or "Is it front wheel drive?". They normally respond with comments like "it's blue".
    Originally posted by fred246
    A lot of people neither know nor care, nor is it terribly relevant for them.

My wife likes a fast car. Doesnt really care how many cylinders it has and doesnt buy it because it is FWD or RWD or AWD - and i dont think she could tell you precisely what any of those figures are on her current car, its about how well it drives and whether she likes it.

Her current car is 376BHP, AWD, 4 cylinder, 2.0 litre.

Her last car was 326BHP, RWD, 6 cylinder, 3.7 litre.

So its not like she has a type.

Her brother drives a 2018 Jaguar XJ. I think he'd know its a 3 litre diesel but couldnt tell you if its AWD or RWD and maybe might know the number of cylinders. Nice car though
    Last edited by motorguy; 12-07-2018 at 6:56 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 6,032 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    What is the point of these PCP hire schemes or whatever you call them. Every story I hear is where the hirer is in negative equity.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 12th Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    Car 54
    Vacuous cretins? Really?

My missus has a little Audi and shes not a cretin. She went to university to study hard and now has a good job.

That word...job. Perhaps if you got yourself a job instead of posting on internet forums over 20 times a day during times everyone else is working hard then you could have nice things too.

You utter bafoon.
    Originally posted by docmatt
    Excellent post. But it's "buffoon".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,446Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin