Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 11th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 1,587Posts
    • 556Thanks
    Katykat
    Meter problem
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    Meter problem 11th Jul 18 at 4:53 PM
    My daughter has just had her electric and gas bill from the same company. It was read by a meter reader in her absence( outside meter). Her bill states that her electricity usage has increased by 46% from the same time last year and gas is up by 476%. Her conditions have not changed, she lives alone, is at work all day, has a combi boiler and has not used her central heating since the first week in April. She rang SSE Atlantic who were not much help. They suggested changing her tariff to a cheaper one, but that isnít her concern. She simply canít understand why her gas usage has increased by almost 500%. What should her next step be?
    A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:57 PM
    The first thing to do would be to pop outside, read the meters, and check that the supplier's meter readings are correct.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    And look back on her old bills - when was the last Actual reading ?

How often has your daughter been reading her own meter and sending them to her supplier ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    She doesnt read her own meter. Every other quarter its read by a meter man/ woman and the others are estimates. She has checked the meters and the readings do correspond with the bill. But the fact that the gas reading is up by 476% seems wrong. The only gas appliance that she has is a combi boiler which has only been used for hot water, no heating for the past 3 months. Is there likely to be a gas leak? Would we be able to smell it and should we be concerned?
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 12th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 1,579 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:56 AM
    Who is the manufacturer of the gas meter and what type is it - 1 Clock meter with 5 little dials? -2 Analogue meter with numbered revolving wheels? - 3 Digital meter with electronic display?
    1 Is very easily mis-read, even by meter readers
    2 The most reliable, but can go wrong
    3 Battery powered and can go rogue producing advancing reading when no gas is being used - CHECK THE READING several times during a day when no gas is being used
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:05 AM
    Is this latest bill an Estimated one or from a meter reader ?

It's very rare for a meter reader to read any meter these days let alone twice a year.

Could you please post the readings for the last 12 months or so.
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 13th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:27 AM
    Is this latest bill an Estimated one or from a meter reader ?

It's very rare for a meter reader to read any meter these days let alone twice a year.

Could you please post the readings for the last 12 months or so.
    Originally posted by Robin9
    Itís a meter reader bill. Every other bill is read so there are 2 meter reader ills per year and 2 estimated. Iíll get the readings & post.
    • Katykat
    • By Katykat 13th Jul 18, 7:28 AM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Katykat
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:28 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:28 AM
    Who is the manufacturer of the gas meter and what type is it - 1 Clock meter with 5 little dials? -2 Analogue meter with numbered revolving wheels? - 3 Digital meter with electronic display?
    1 Is very easily mis-read, even by meter readers
    2 The most reliable, but can go wrong
    3 Battery powered and can go rogue producing advancing reading when no gas is being used - CHECK THE READING several times during a day when no gas is being used
    Originally posted by dogshome
    Iíll go round & check the meter
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 17th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 17th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 17th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    [QUOTE=Robin9;74518680]Is this latest bill an Estimated one or from a meter reader ?

It's very rare for a meter reader to read any meter these days[COlet alone twice a year.

Could you please post the readings for the last 12 months or so.]

That's not true, my son's a meter reader and works 7 days a week sometimes. He's one of the top readers for the company.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 18th Jul 18, 6:34 AM
    • 2,482 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Your son might be a meter reader & work very hard & be one of the top meter readers.
    That does not mean that he reads peoples meters twice a year.

I have not had my electric or gas meters read by a meter reader for at least 5 years.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 22nd Jul 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    Katykat - have you been able to resolve your daughter's bills ?
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 22nd Jul 18, 9:22 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    I suppose it depends which company you are with, he reads meters for two or three companies and the meters have to be read at times. Can't remember how often though.

Of course smart meters are different but I think he said they have to be checked sometimes too.

We are with a company that doesn't have meter readers but you have to give them readings sometimes. I'm trying to get back to our original company now.
    • macman
    • By macman 23rd Jul 18, 12:23 PM
    • 42,788 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    macman
    Why isn't she concerned to switch to a cheaper tariff? That, combined with accepting estimated billing and not reading her own meters, has contributed to this problem.
    OP, you really need to post actual kWh usage figures from the last actual bill, and the one a year prior, to make any sense of this.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 23rd Jul 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    Carrot007
    She doesnt read her own meter.
    Originally posted by Katykat

Well there is the issue.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 23rd Jul 18, 12:32 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    . I'm trying to get back to our original company now.
    Originally posted by Waterlily24

Why ? Just because you have to read your meter ?
    • Senseicads
    • By Senseicads 23rd Jul 18, 12:33 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Senseicads

Yeah that's pretty much untrue. You might not have had your meter read recently but we have definitely had our meter read pretty regularly for the past few years. I don't believe you when you say it's really rare.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 23rd Jul 18, 10:36 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Ectophile
    The only requirement is to read the meter every 2 years. I don't think EDF even manage that for my electricity meter.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 23rd Jul 18, 11:23 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    Why ? Just because you have to read your meter ?

No because I keep getting emails saying I owe them money without having given them a meter reading. It was usually about £80 a month but one was £112, we used to pay them £80 a month but put it up to £100.

How would they know how much if anything we owe them without a meter reading. We aren't on a smart meter.

They did get in a muddle with our address and another house in the next road with the same name but a different postcode. I wonder if it's still a muddle lol.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 25th Jul 18, 4:01 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 2,137 Thanks
    Robin9
    You putting your head in the sand isn't going to help varying DD. Read your meter and give your supplier some real figures to work with - you might even find the DD goes down.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 25th Jul 18, 4:13 PM
    • 6,630 Posts
    • 4,255 Thanks
    Hengus
    The only requirement is to read the meter every 2 years. I don't think EDF even manage that for my electricity meter.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    The requirement to read meters once every two years was dropped by Ofgem in Apr 2016. The requirement now is that suppliers have to obtain a meter reading once every 12 months but the Licence Condition now longer stipulates how this has to be done.

A few weeks ago, I got a call from Lowri Beck asking me to give them a meter reading on behalf of a supplier that I left 8 months previously. Lowri Beck read meters on behalf of a number of suppliers. This was there way of obtaining a meter reading! I jokingly asked how much they were going to pay me to do their work?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,186Posts Today

8,549Users online

Martin's Twitter