Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 11th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    • 122Posts
    • 114Thanks
    beverley1471
    Passport delivered to my address
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:22 PM
    Passport delivered to my address 11th Jul 18 at 4:22 PM
    Someone on my street has arranged to have their passport delivered to my address, I donít know them and they didnít ask me. Their house number couldnít be written wrongly to look like mine, so it must have been deliberately. By the time they knocked on my door and asked for it, I had already put it back in the postbox with Ďnot at this addressí written on the back. But I thought it was a really rude thing to do, I tried to ask them why but they just laughed and walked away.

I canít work out why someone would do this, and if it is redelivered to my address, should I give it to them or refuse? I donít receive any other letters for them, so itís not a ongoing thing or something I have had previously.
Page 1
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    • 36,567 Posts
    • 135,317 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    Someone on my street has arranged to have their passport delivered to my address, I donít know them and they didnít ask me. Their house number couldnít be written wrongly to look like mine, so it must have been deliberately. By the time they knocked on my door and asked for it, I had already put it back in the postbox with Ďnot at this addressí written on the back. But I thought it was a really rude thing to do, I tried to ask them why but they just laughed and walked away.

I canít work out why someone would do this, and if it is redelivered to my address, should I give it to them or refuse? I donít receive any other letters for them, so itís not a ongoing thing or something I have had previously.
    Originally posted by beverley1471
    If they just laughed and walked away, it sounds rather suspicious.

If another one comes, I'd return it to the passport office with a note saying that this is the second time it's been sent to your address, and could they look into it.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 11th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    Tallaght
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:35 PM
    Maybe he does not want anyone he lives with seeing a new passport in the post.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 11th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:40 PM
    If they just laughed and walked away, it sounds rather suspicious.

If another one comes, I'd return it to the passport office with a note saying that this is the second time it's been sent to your address, and could they look into it.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I agree, it is quite strange. We had a new passport delivered recently and the courier told me he had to take a picture of our front door, presumably so he could prove that he'd delivered it to the correct address.

We were also advised at the Post Office to send the old one in by special recorded post, because there's a black market, even for old passports.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Jul 18, 5:30 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 9,068 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:30 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:30 PM
    Maybe he does not want anyone he lives with seeing a new passport in the post.
    Originally posted by Tallaght
    Then asking permission for delivery to the OPs addy would be the simplest and most sensible way of going about it.

It would actually be interesting to know what the actual address on the passport was. If it was the same as the delivery address, a whole new set of issues would unravel.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 36,567 Posts
    • 135,317 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:32 PM
    Then asking permission for delivery to the OPs addy would be the simplest and most sensible way of going about it.

It would actually be interesting to know what the actual address on the passport was. If it was the same as the delivery address, a whole new set of issues would unravel.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    My passport doesn't have my address on it, though.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 455 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    tastyhog
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:51 PM

how was it delivered to your address? it requires a signature and is delivered by secure courier
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 11th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 113,935 Posts
    • 233,695 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    how was it delivered to your address? it requires a signature and is delivered by secure courier
    Originally posted by tastyhog
    Unless it was not a genuine passport... I
    We do have freedom of thought. Now all we need is a bit of thought.
    • beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 12th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    beverley1471
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 7:02 AM
    I never signed for the passport, when I came home it had just been posted through the letterbox. My address isn!!!8217;t on my passport either unless that!!!8217;s changed now?
    • beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 12th Jul 18, 7:03 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    beverley1471
    Unsure why those numbers have appeared
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 7:05 AM
    • 36,567 Posts
    • 135,317 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I never signed for the passport, when I came home it had just been posted through the letterbox. My address isn!!!8217;t on my passport either unless that!!!8217;s changed now?
    Years ago addresses used to be on passports, but I suppose that over a ten-year period, people move about so much, it would be a nightmare to administer.

Unless, of course, it's on the microchip thing?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 12th Jul 18, 7:23 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    beverley1471
    Ive been googling and it appears he runs a company from home that offers financial services, whatever that means, there seem to have been lots of company directors, all with the same surname. Last year I had someone set up a businesss account at my address, not the same name, but I had to go into the bank and insist they closed it, as they ignored returning the letters. I also had someone use my address for their tax, I only knew when the HMRC sent a letter with enquiries, again I had to phone up and insist they make a note that this person has used a fake address.

I had debt collectors come to my door for the business account, but luckily they believed me without wanting any further evidence when I explained. I dont know if these two are linked. But I am leaning towards not giving him his passport.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 15,262 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Ive been googling and it appears he runs a company from home that offers financial services, whatever that means, there seem to have been lots of company directors, all with the same surname. Last year I had someone set up a businesss account at my address, not the same name, but I had to go into the bank and insist they closed it, as they ignored returning the letters. I also had someone use my address for their tax, I only knew when the HMRC sent a letter with enquiries, again I had to phone up and insist they make a note that this person has used a fake address.

I had debt collectors come to my door for the business account, but luckily they believed me without wanting any further evidence when I explained. I dont know if these two are linked. But I am leaning towards not giving him his passport.
    Sounds like they are a company that sets up illegal immigrants with fake identities, you should report them to Immigration.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.3
    Total so far - 2160.3
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 7:57 AM
    • 36,567 Posts
    • 135,317 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Sounds like they are a company that sets up illegal immigrants with fake identities, you should report them to Immigration.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    It might be worth mentioning all this to the police, just so they have it on record.

It all sounds very dodgy.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 12th Jul 18, 8:13 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    beverley1471
    My limited experience with the police leads me to believe they wont care in the slightest about my situation, or even listen to me. I am not sure about immigration, after all I only have one passport delivered to my address and a couple of unknown people using my address for the reasons explained previously, so again I cannot see them being to interested.

I am receiving no other letters or mail, so I can only hope nothing else is registered to my address. And refuse to give him his passport if it is delivered to my address again. Last time he seemed to be waiting for the postman, as he knocked on my door less than one minute after him. Perhaps he is hoping to intercept the passport delivery, so I never know about it!

It all seems very dodgy though
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 12th Jul 18, 8:18 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 15,262 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    My limited experience with the police leads me to believe they wont care in the slightest about my situation, or even listen to me. I am not sure about immigration, after all I only have one passport delivered to my address and a couple of unknown people using my address for the reasons explained previously, so again I cannot see them being to interested.

I am receiving no other letters or mail, so I can only hope nothing else is registered to my address. And refuse to give him his passport if it is delivered to my address again. Last time he seemed to be waiting for the postman, as he knocked on my door less than one minute after him. Perhaps he is hoping to intercept the passport delivery, so I never know about it!

It all seems very dodgy though
    Sorry but it is your 'don't care' attitude that causes more trouble than him bringing false documents to your door in the first place.
    If you don't care then why did you even start this thread?

You say the police wont care, how do you know if you don't tell them?
    I get the feeling that you would not dial 999 if next door was on fire
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.3
    Total so far - 2160.3
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 12th Jul 18, 8:22 AM
    • 7,786 Posts
    • 17,010 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    I would contact the Passport Office and ask for advice in case it happens again. Explain that someone has previously used your address without permission for a business account, and that no one has your permission to use your address for the delivery of a passport. If they have the information, then they can choose whether to investigate it or not.
    • beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 12th Jul 18, 8:24 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    beverley1471
    Its not that I dont care, just realistic that there isnt really much for the police to really investigate, or anyone else for that matter. And I posted as I am worried about someone potentially using my address, and the reasons why.

Not sure how you reached the other conclusion? I volunteer lots in my local area and do lots of little jobs for my elderly neighbors.
    • beverley1471
    • By beverley1471 12th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    beverley1471
    Kingfisherblue that sounds like a good idea, well it certainly wont hurt anyway
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 36,567 Posts
    • 135,317 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Its not that I dont care, just realistic that there isnt really much for the police to really investigate, or anyone else for that matter. And I posted as I am worried about someone potentially using my address, and the reasons why.

Not sure how you reached the other conclusion? I volunteer lots in my local area and do lots of little jobs for my elderly neighbors.
    If the police have it on record, it might help you in the future if there's any comeback on you. They have to put it on record if you report it.

Keep a record of all these instances, too.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

158Posts Today

1,484Users online

Martin's Twitter