Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    • 1,047Posts
    • 3,506Thanks
    lcc86
    Changing thermostat
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:46 PM
    Changing thermostat 11th Jul 18 at 3:46 PM
    Hi all,

This may be a really stupid question, we moved a couple of years ago and went from electric only to gas central heating with a combi boiler. We have a ridiculously complicated thermostat with something like 35+ possible programmes, but regardless of how much time I spend trying to programme it to come on at specific times, it never does, even when following the manual to a T.

Obviously it's not an issue now given it's pretty hot, but I'd like to get it sorted before winter. I don't know an awful lot about these things, is it possible to switch to a simpler thermostat and if so, does this need to be done by an engineer?

I have looked into Hive but am not sure if I need it. I just want the heating to come on in the morning and evening at set times during the colder months!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    920/1000 EF 500 saved for household jobs
    Debt free and in the black for the first time in 11 years
Page 1
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:51 PM
    Is it the programmer that switches the heating (and hot water?) on and off? Or does it set temperatures as well?
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 11th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 2,239 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    Joyful
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    I was in the same situation. If the clocks changed it took me ages to reprogramme the thermostat. I love my Hive. I control it with my mobile or laptop. As I work different days I can set it up differently for every day if I want. If I wake up earlier than expected in the winter I turn the heating on from my bed. It's also great if you are away from home as you can keep an eye on the temperature. I have now added Lightbulbs to the Hive which mean I can set them to come on and off like the temperature.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    lcc86
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:36 PM
    Is it the programmer that switches the heating (and hot water?) on and off? Or does it set temperatures as well?
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    It switches the heating on and off and sets temperatures. It doesn't control the water as the water is always on (combo boiler).
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 11th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    lcc86
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:38 PM
    I was in the same situation. If the clocks changed it took me ages to reprogramme the thermostat. I love my Hive. I control it with my mobile or laptop. As I work different days I can set it up differently for every day if I want. If I wake up earlier than expected in the winter I turn the heating on from my bed. It's also great if you are away from home as you can keep an eye on the temperature. I have now added Lightbulbs to the Hive which mean I can set them to come on and off like the temperature.
    Originally posted by Joyful
    Yes when the clocks change it's a bloody nightmare! I've given up even trying that any more. The reason I discounted Hive initially was that I'm due to be working from home 50% of the time soon so having control remotely isn't top of the list, but perhaps it's just a sensible option as I need an engineering degree to figure out this blooming thermostat!
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 11th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 3,206 Posts
    • 922 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:18 PM
    what brand is it?

Yeah you can probably change it. Find out if it has 2 or 3 wire connected to it

and if there is a spare blue wire in the back of the box
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 14th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    lcc86
    • 14th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14th Jul 18, 5:49 PM
    It is a Potterton Titanium, not a brand I'm familiar with. It does need a service so I could ask about the thermostat at the time I suppose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

70Posts Today

2,486Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin