Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ayres
    • By ayres 11th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ayres
    Garage trying to Charge after warranty work carried out.
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:43 PM
    Garage trying to Charge after warranty work carried out. 11th Jul 18 at 3:43 PM
    So bought a van 8 weeks ago 5 days after i reported the garage with a problem the garage was very difficult about me returning the vehicle to them for repair, 14 days after purchase i got the van back to them myself.
    Now they have had the van over 6 weeks and been spinning all sorts of stories if they even answered the phone. Finally 2 days ago i got a call saying the work was complete and the bill would be 300 as their warranty only covers 50% of work. which i know legally they are responsible for the whole amount and should be returning the van. they are refusing to release the van or refund my money (8400).
    What should i do? Is this now theft?
    I'm grateful for any help or experience.
Page 2
    • ayres
    • By ayres 11th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    Yes i have receipt Westmoor car sales.

Thanks for all this wham never had to deal with anything like this before.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Jul 18, 7:02 PM
    • 12,773 Posts
    • 10,088 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Yes i have receipt Westmoor car sales.

Thanks for all this wham never had to deal with anything like this before.
    Originally posted by ayres
    Did you say how you paid for the vehicle? Credit card or dealer organised finance involved?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • ayres
    • By ayres 11th Jul 18, 10:02 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    Garage has no card machine so bank transfer.

@Unholyangel
    • ayres
    • By ayres 12th Jul 18, 1:05 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    i think i have decided to pay the repair bill with objections and inform them i intend to take them to small claims court to get that refund back. the risk of loosing whole van and all money is to high.He has stopped answering any phone calls so am going to go garage tomorrow and sit and wait for this to be resolved.
    Hopefully won't have to wait to long as a very dissatisfied customer waiting in office can't be good for business.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Jul 18, 1:13 PM
    • 3,539 Posts
    • 2,610 Thanks
    Tarambor
    An incorrect size tyre is unsafe
    No it isn't or space saver spare tyres would be illegal to use.
    • ayres
    • By ayres 12th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    It was a smaller rolling diameter and incorrect tyre on the wheel how is this not unsafe?
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 12th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    bigisi
    It was a smaller rolling diameter and incorrect tyre on the wheel how is this not unsafe?
    Did you even read Tarambor's post?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 12th Jul 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1,224 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    as their warranty only covers 50% of work. which i know legally they are responsible for the whole amount and should be returning the van.
    Are you sure? There is a car sales forecourt in Lincs that give full warranties on their more expensive vehicles but only "half & half" warranties on the cheaper ones. It's made clear when you buy the vehicle though.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jul 18, 4:33 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 4,689 Thanks
    DoaM
    Did you even read Tarambor's post?
    Originally posted by bigisi
    Is a so-called "space saver" wheel+tyre a small diameter than the standard wheel+tyre? I thought they were the same overall diameter - they simply take up less vertical space in the boot (or under the car at the rear) than a standard wheel+tyre.

A single wheel + tyre with a smaller diameter on an axle will mean the vehicle suspension is unbalanced. Whether this is an issue I've no idea, but it's not something I would want for myself.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 18, 4:42 PM
    • 18,341 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    AdrianC
    They can be smaller diameter, yes.
    • ayres
    • By ayres 12th Jul 18, 5:50 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    from my reading Construction & Use says that you have to have the same size tyres on an axle. Spacesavers get special discompensation, along with a 50mph(?) max speed.
    as this was not a spacesaver and no limit was implied and i was not informed of it i would say this counts as an increased risk?

I did however believe spacesavers were just thinner and had no idea they would be a different rolling diameter.

Even if not unsafe the vehicle was still not as described and option for refund should be available. but as garage is very unscrupulous and i feel i would be at a high risk of loosing both.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 18, 6:37 PM
    • 18,341 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    AdrianC
    For the cost of a tyre...
    • ayres
    • By ayres 12th Jul 18, 10:07 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    read the rest of it adrian c. yes the tyre was a minor part of it.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 13th Jul 18, 10:58 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    bigisi
    "discompensation"
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 18, 11:03 AM
    • 18,341 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    AdrianC
    read the rest of it adrian c. yes the tyre was a minor part of it.
    It was all minor.

Tyre. "Unsafe"...
    Coolant leak.
    Stuck seat.
    Aircon.

How old a van are we talking, anyway?
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 13th Jul 18, 4:49 PM
    • 13,626 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    Ok just rephrase the term unsafe with unroadworthy to appease those that wish to argue
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 18,341 Posts
    • 16,580 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I'm not suggesting that driving on a wrong-size tyre is sensible, in any way - just that we're only talking about the price of a tyre to sort that one out. And that's before we go near any element of betterment...
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 13th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 2,260 Thanks
    Richard53
    I did however believe spacesavers were just thinner and had no idea they would be a different rolling diameter.
    I would have thought the same. However, my Mazda has a space-saver spare and a limited-slip diff, and the handbook is very clear that the space saver must not be used on the rear axle. I imagine this must be because the rolling diameter of the spare is slightly different.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • ayres
    • By ayres 16th Jul 18, 11:15 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ayres
    Just An update.
    So Went to garage to collect vehicle and pay under objection and none of the work was completed. no tyre, no working aircon, and still a coolant leak.
    So refused to pay and took my van back. 7 weeks to do no work and then try and charge me for work not carried out.
    Have informed them i will be issuing them with a bill for repair work.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 16th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 2,181 Thanks
    Stoke
    Just An update.
    So Went to garage to collect vehicle and pay under objection and none of the work was completed. no tyre, no working aircon, and still a coolant leak.
    So refused to pay and took my van back. 7 weeks to do no work and then try and charge me for work not carried out.
    Have informed them i will be issuing them with a bill for repair work.
    They sound like cowboys to be fair, although did you actually give them instructions to start work? Most garages won't unless it's specifically instructed by the customer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,169Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin