Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FOZZ1EBEAR
    • By FOZZ1EBEAR 11th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    FOZZ1EBEAR
    Company car while on annual leave
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    Company car while on annual leave 11th Jul 18 at 3:16 PM
    Hi All

Looking for some advice regarding my company car. I have been asked to leave my company car with my employer when I'm off on 2 weeks annual leave...but as I pay tax on this and have it for private use can they legally do this? I'm happy with it sitting on my driveway as I know if I leave it at work others will use it and I will require it when I come back.
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    • 18,388 Posts
    • 16,604 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:50 PM
    What's your contract say?
    • loskie
    • By loskie 11th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    loskie
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    sounds very unusual, normally a co car is as if it were your own. Otherwise it is a pool car.
    • JP1978
    • By JP1978 11th Jul 18, 11:50 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    JP1978
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:50 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:50 PM
    Company i used to contract too offered me a double cab pick up as a sweetener to go to them PAYE. Sold my own car, at a slight loss and went PAYE. Not many weeks in one of the managers said to me - you will need to leave the jeep here (at the yard) tonight and take the van home. Why I asked.... Cos the boss (owner, whom asked me to go PAYE) hasn!!!8217;t got his car with him and we cant exactly ask him to drive home in that shitty van. You can F.R.O sunshine, that!!!8217;s my only family car now, has my personal stuff in it and a child!!!8217;s car seat. Can!!!8217;t fit wife and a toddler into a poxy Reno Kangoo.

Same again a few weeks later, you dont need the jeep today, take Johns van for the weekend and get the jeep back next week - erm, no.

Transpires that when they offered me PAYE and i initially refused and asked for an extra 5K more a year, that was accepted, it put me on more money than the manager (and he didn!!!8217;t get a company vehicle) so he was just trying to shaft me. In the end, the boss punted him off due to it.

Anyway, unless its in your contract to relinquish it on annual leave, tell them to bolt... 99% of company car users dont have their own car as a fall back, why pay all that tax for a company motor and then pay to maintain one of your own?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

6,178Users online

Martin's Twitter