Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hells1980
    • By Hells1980 11th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hells1980
    From using a DM company to DIY?
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:51 PM
    From using a DM company to DIY? 11th Jul 18 at 2:51 PM
    Hi Folks
    Due to a change in circumstances e.g. divorce. I am looking at moving from using a debt management company to DIY. Our individual credit cards were lumped together into 'one' debt & as I am busy sorting out splitting other stuff it makes sense to do this as well. Having used a company & seeing a TINY bit of difference to the debt going down, I am feeling strong enough to tackle this myself.

Has anyone gone from using a fee-company to DIY?

Thank you!
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    Hi Hells1980

You'll find a number of members on the board have made the switch from a DMP to self managing their debts, hopefully they'll be along shortly. It might be worth mentioning the option of a DMP with one of the free debt advice agencies as in those all of your monthly payment is used to pay off your debt and you should see a quicker reduction in your debt.

If you do manage it yourself you'll find the advice agencies also have sample letters to help you negotiate. Best of luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • ramblehan
    • By ramblehan 11th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    ramblehan
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:55 PM
    Going self managed is very easy. Pop onto the DMP sticky thread for help.

Good luck xx
    'Start by doing the necessary, then the possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.' St Francis of Assisi
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,024Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin