Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 11th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    • 2,819Posts
    • 7,823Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Antihistamines
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:50 PM
    Antihistamines 11th Jul 18 at 2:50 PM
    My daughter is off on an expedition with school. On her kit list is Antihistamine (not Triludan).

She doesn't have hay fever but has quite sensitive skin so it wouldn't surprise me if she had a reaction to something along the way - they are going to Nepal.

My only experience with them is Piriton but that doesn't seem to be widely available and it is all Piriteze now which has a different active ingredient.

I am looking for advice on what multipurpose one she should be taking.
    The adventure company refuses to give any medical advice - wouldn't even say what jabs were needed.
Page 1
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 11th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    You don't need to book through them, obvs, but the MASTA website will tell you which jabs she'll need.

https://www.masta-travel-health.com/#

As regards antihistamines it might be worth asking the pharmacist.
    • K80 Black
    • By K80 Black 11th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    K80 Black
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    If you're looking for an equivalent to Piriton - the active ingredient is chlorphenamine maleate, which is available as a generic from boots etc - though I have no problems finding Piriton available to buy online.

It is a medication that needs a pharmacist though - are you asking for it in chemists, or looking in supermarkets?

No idea if that's a good multipurpose antihistamine... and I wouldn't trust a stranger on the internet in that regards anyway!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    • 22,022 Posts
    • 10,700 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 4:07 PM
    I use certirizine, my husband uses loratadine.
    Both non-drowsy but we both find different one work for us.

It's much cheaper to ask for generic tablets rather than brands in fancy packaging.

If you are concerned about a reaction, why not buy a small amount of both (or whatever the pharmacist recommends) and try them here before she goes.
    Ask the pharmacist but I think the downsides would be minimal (i take them every day).
    • FrugalFriend
    • By FrugalFriend 11th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    FrugalFriend
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    I also find Piriton suit me, got a generic equivalent from the US on EBay. I paid about 12 delivered for 1000, (yes 1000). They're 13.50 now, still great value: https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Major-Chlorpheniramine-4mg-Allergy-Tablets-1000ct-Expiration-Date-02-2020/153070468828?epid=1201136306&hash=item23a3b5fedc:g :mmEAAOSwgMNbK~vg
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 11th Jul 18, 6:01 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 2,518 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:01 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:01 PM
    I use certirizine, my husband uses loratadine.
    Both non-drowsy but we both find different one work for us.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    I've used both with good effect.

I guess they are taking them for emergency use (stings etc)?

Whichever the OP goes for - if it was my child I would try one first while they are still here, to make sure no adverse affects.

also see https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/country/159/nepal
    Last edited by Lorian; 11-07-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 14,304 Posts
    • 14,260 Thanks
    Nile
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:20 PM
    Anthisan cream is very good for bites:

https://www.boots.com/anthisan-cream-25g-10087220

You can probably find it cheaper in other stores.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 16,737 Posts
    • 42,228 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:26 PM
    Piriton sent me drowsy while driving, so I stick to cetirizine now, the generic version from the savers type shops. They work fine and helps with skin reactions which I also get. Plus an antihistamine cream for bites.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,791Posts Today

7,987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin