Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Adson
    • By Adson 11th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Adson
    Do i need to pay excess if third party claims and its my fault?
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:25 PM
    Do i need to pay excess if third party claims and its my fault? 11th Jul 18 at 2:25 PM
    said his happy to go through insurance if i don't pay 600 in damage. If he does go through Insurance what exactly will happen? Do i need to pay excess?

-This is my first year of my insurance and im paying 1300 i was hoping by next year it would go down. If my no claim bonus goes (if he claims) wud my insurance go up or jus remain the same (ik it wont go down)?

-IK its difficult to say but is it better to pay him 600 in damage or go through insurance
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 37,931 Posts
    • 22,032 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:39 PM
    Take care over settling privately. You cannot be sure the innocent party won't still come after more if the repairer discovers more damage)/hire car is involved/loss of earnings/whiplash etc

You won't normally pay any excess if the claim is paid by your insurer and is just for the third parties claim and not your car. Check your policy wording over this

Do dummy quotes online with and without a claim in your history to get a good idea of what it will cost at renewal

Though you do breach your policy conditions if you fail to notify your insurer about this incident
    • stator
    • By stator 11th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 6,601 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    stator
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:47 PM
    You don't have to pay an excess.
    Could be cheaper either way.
    You have to tell your insurer about the accident. It will reduce your premium next year if the insurer doesn't have to pay out. But it might not make a huge difference. 600 is less than the 1300 you paid for the policy.
    If you do dummy insurance quotes, use a fake name
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Jul 18, 3:52 PM
    • 22,726 Posts
    • 11,297 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:52 PM
    Make sure you have documentation for the 600 and what it's for and that they sign that it's in "full and final" settlement.
    Otherwise they can say they never got it or come back for more once they discover they have a sore neck.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 37,931 Posts
    • 22,032 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:57 PM
    You don't have to pay an excess.
    Originally posted by stator
    Depends on the insurer!

The OP should check the policy wording to see whether or not an excess is payable for all claims
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,232Posts Today

8,018Users online

Martin's Twitter