Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twistershoot
    • By twistershoot 11th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    twistershoot
    brokerage conviction
    • 11th Jul 18, 12:20 PM
    brokerage conviction 11th Jul 18 at 12:20 PM
    Is there a possibility to open a Mortgage Brokerage with a criminal record? I have the quals

I recieved a suspended sentence a year ago which is over now. But the conviciton isn't spent yet (until 4 years). (its not a dishonesty or fraud related).

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 11th Jul 18, 2:30 PM
    • 10,642 Posts
    • 4,210 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:30 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:30 PM
    A Network desperate for numbers might take you on.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 17,152 Posts
    • 9,046 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 2:32 PM
    I suppose it would depend on the offence (im not hinting at details there BTW). Depending on the offence, some lenders/insurers may not allow you to open agencies with them.

You would probably need to speak to the FCA and/or some Mortgage Networks.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • twistershoot
    • By twistershoot 12th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twistershoot
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    • 12th Jul 18, 11:37 AM
    thanks guys for your responses.
    Even if it was my own brokerage as self emplpyed, or I was working for a brokerage in someone elses name , do lenders request DBS ?

I have never been on a network before, can you tell me a few so I can contact them?
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 17,152 Posts
    • 9,046 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 12:12 PM
    Gary Watts at Which Network - give him a shout.

There is no information to go off on here to tell you if you are wasting your time. I can only assume if it is showing on a DBS check it is quite serious.

Lenders will not ask for a DBS check, but they will ask about criminal convictions. If you lie and get found out, that is the end of your career.

When I went Directly Authorised, I declared a crime I had been done for - on paper, it went down as fraud (which being in financial services is as bad as it gets), but in practice I jumped on a train and did not get a ticket as the train pulled in just as I got there. I intended on getting a ticket on the train as I did all the time but the rail company made an example of about 50 people that day (I was one of them). I was completely open about it and also provided a DBS check (which did not have the crime listed). The FCA did not ask me anything more beyond my initial explanation. So it is not necessarily the end of the world, but it will depend on what you have done, how recent and so on.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,375Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin