Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Mrsburg
    Why won't our house sell?
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    Why won't our house sell? 11th Jul 18 at 11:41 AM
    Hi this is my first post so please bear with me.

We are struggling to sell our house. It has been on the market for almost 3 weeks and the EA assured us we'd have 15 views and 10 offers withing the first 4 weeks. I appreciate that is sales patter but what we've had is very disappointing.

We've had 6 views, no one had requested a second viewing and no offers. Feedback has been limited, along the lines of "not suitable".

The EA has sold lots of houses locally recently so we do believe it's fairly priced.

To us the pictures seem good and portray the house well, but I'm very interested in any feedback or tips anyone can offer - the good, the bad and the ugly!

The media tells us Manchester is the fastest growing property market in the UK but it doesn't seem to be translating to our home. We've missed out on several homes we're interested in buying locally because they're just going too fast.

MSE won't let me post the link - how can I get round this?

Edit - broken link here: right move . co . uk / property for sale / property - 6 5 9 3 6 8 5 7 . h t m l
    Last edited by Mrsburg; 11-07-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Updated info
Page 5
    • _CC_
    • By _CC_ 12th Jul 18, 11:01 AM
    • 326 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    _CC_
    ]

Thanks I think we have free reign to change the front because we sorted out the front garden.

What are plastic or metal mess frames? Thank you.
    Originally posted by Mrsburg

You really need to check covenants, hopefully you can change but estates like these often have restrictions to ensure a uniform appearance.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 12th Jul 18, 11:02 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    I would check the lease before stating hard standing can be put down - there may be covenants restricting what can and can't be done to ensure a uniform 'look' to the development.
    Originally posted by SallyDucati
    ]

Thanks I think we have free reign to change the front because we sorted out the front garden.

What are plastic or metal mess frames? Thank you.
    Originally posted by Mrsburg
    Might be worth confirming explicitly that the terms of the lease do not constrain the leaseholder from doing groundworks etc.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 12th Jul 18, 11:08 AM
    • 33,476 Posts
    • 20,229 Thanks
    getmore4less
    from the pics I had two issues(on top of the no parking).

Kitchen diner needs to look like one, the way you have it the patio doors the door into the room and the utility off make it look like you can't get a table for 4/6 in the room without issues.

Living room the way you have the furniture makes it look like you can't make it work with a big TV in a decent location, from the plan it looks like the only option is the wall opposite the window, or maybe with some chairs rather than a monster sofa on the only other plain wall.

agree with the others the parking could have been improves when the front landscaping was done.

these are mesh grids that can be use to stabize gravel to make it suitable for driving on.

with moveable raised beds the front garden could have been dual purpose for extra parking.

definitely check for covenants on putting up fences at the front.

What you need to do is the more like this test of what is SSTC to see what people are buying.

first stab get 3 fro sale and 6 SSTC.
    move out to a mile

10 and 19 SSTC.

drop the price to 130

17 and 25 SSTC

Nobody buying is not the problem.

look what £10k more gets
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72221084.html

or a corner plot for similar(accommodation a bit more compact)
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-74096918.html

Without looking more closely I suspect the issue is there are just better value places available in the price bracket.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 12th Jul 18, 11:12 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Well, I think your house is lovely. You have nice well-mannered taste, it's well kept and I don't feel like I'm looking at hours and £ to remove someone else's bad taste and replace it with my own. Great kitchen, great bathrooms - these are big-ticket items I don't want to have to replace. The only thing I don't like about is the occasional use of wallpaper, but that's just me; I grew up in a house festooned with fussy wallpaper and now I can't stand the stuff no matter how tasteful. It wouldn't stop me buying your place. There's little of it, it's and one can paint it.

I would only make three suggestions. One, I agree with those who say acquire some pot plants. These are not sunk cost (they come with you) and they bring a garden to life (yours is a nice low maintenance garden - another plus). Maybe a couple of grasses in matching pots by the front door? Two, extend the principle indoors and acquire a few house plants. Zamioculcas zamifolia (Zanzibar Gem), clivia miniata (Kaffir Lily) and in fact most bromeliads, or a good old rubber plant, will grow just about anywhere; Aeschynanthus pulcher (Lipstick Plant) is low maintenance, needs sunlight but trails red flowers very prettily. Again, these come with you, but they jazz the place up. Three, you have one or two bare walls; rather than more pictures maybe try a carving or something, eg on the stairs - it sort of catches the eye and draws you in.

You did ask why it's not selling, and this I guess is why you got the comments about location / new build etc. You're right that these aren't things you can change. I don't know your area at all so I don't know if that's the problem but I see little wrong with the gaff itself.
    Last edited by westernpromise; 12-07-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 12th Jul 18, 11:19 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    Well, I think your house is lovely. You have nice well-mannered taste, it's well kept and I don't feel like I'm looking at hours and £ to remove someone else's bad taste and replace it with my own. Great kitchen, great bathrooms - these are big-ticket items I don't want to have to replace. The only thing I don't like about is the occasional use of wallpaper, but that's just me; I grew up in a house festooned with fussy wallpaper and now I can't stand the stuff no matter how tasteful. It wouldn't stop me buying your place. There's little of it, it's and one can paint it.

I would only make three suggestions. One, I agree with those who say acquire some pot plants. These are not sunk cost (they come with you) and they bring a garden to life (yours is a nice low maintenance garden - another plus). Maybe a couple of grasses in matching pots by the front door? Two, extend the principle indoors and acquire a few house plants. Zamioculcas zamifolia (Zanzibar Gem), clivia miniata (Kaffir Lily) and in fact most bromeliads, or a good old rubber plant, will grow just about anywhere; Aeschynanthus pulcher (Lipstick Plant) is low maintenance, needs sunlight but trails red flowers very prettily. Again, these come with you, but they jazz the place up. Three, you have one or two bare walls; rather than more pictures maybe try a carving or something, eg on the stairs - it sort of catches the eye and draws you in.

You did ask why it's not selling, and this I guess is why you got the comments about location / new build etc. You're right that these aren't things you can change. I don't know your area at all so I don't know if that's the problem but I see little wrong with the gaff itself.
    Originally posted by westernpromise

Thanks very much. These are excellent and really useful tips that we can certainly implement easily, cheaply and quickly. Will take on board - thank you :-)
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 12th Jul 18, 11:42 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    You're welcome. By the way, one useful trick with plants outside is don't have them all at the same level. If they're all on the ground, you'll tend to look over them. You can get frostproof wall sconces that you can fit at eye level, or at different levels, so you might have two like this, one either side of your garden doors
    https://cdn.notonthehighstreet.com/system/product_images/images/000/570/820/original_100_4814.jpg

and a third to the right of the kitchen window (I like odd numbers as I think too many pairs can look a bit OCD / matchy-matchy, but that's just me). With something trailing out of them. Google "trailing annuals" for ideas or just go to whichever nearby Homebase / B & Q has the best garden section. Annuals grow fast this time of year. And all this is stuff that comes with you...
    Last edited by westernpromise; 12-07-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: picture link didn't work
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Jul 18, 11:49 AM
    • 19,894 Posts
    • 46,043 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I would check the lease before stating hard standing can be put down - there may be covenants restricting what can and can't be done to ensure a uniform 'look' to the development.
    Originally posted by SallyDucati
    Of the houses opposite OP's one has a lawn, one has block paving and another has fences. They all look much more 'inclusive' than OP's.

Looking at the surrounding streets it seems this little block has the worst deal with the 'drive' situation, all the other houses seem to have obvious drives.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • hb2
    • By hb2 12th Jul 18, 11:53 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    hb2
    Leasehold?
    I have read the listing several times and cannot see any mention of leasehold? Clearly it is, cos the Op has confirmed it. What am I missing?

If I had viewed thinking it was freehold and then discovered it was leasehold, I would be peed off and not consider it further.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 12th Jul 18, 12:54 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    seashore22
    They are talking about the leasehold house scandal on radio 4 at this minute. It is becoming more and more a negative in buyers minds.
    • chrissie83
    • By chrissie83 12th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    chrissie83
    Iíve not read the other comments so sorry if Iím repeating anything.

Iím quite local to you & know where this is.
    A few things stood out to me. Itís leasehold- I wouldnít buy it for this reason but you did & someone else will.
    A few pictures, flowers etc would make it feel more like a home.
    I would get rid of the hall/ door pictures- really put me off & I donít even know why, they are a bit Ďcouncil houseí I think.
    Reduce the price if you can a bit. Having said all that I quite like it.
    Our house took 8 months to sell & we were so fed up but everyone said it would sell & it did
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 12th Jul 18, 1:15 PM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    They are talking about the leasehold house scandal on radio 4 at this minute. It is becoming more and more a negative in buyers minds.
    Originally posted by seashore22

Yep, so scattering a few pot plants around isn`t going to do much good...Get the price down until people show interest if you are serious about selling IMO.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 12th Jul 18, 3:16 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 7,428 Thanks
    phill99
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    Don't sit on the fence mate!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 13th Jul 18, 1:11 PM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    The reality is that there are plenty of houses like this, and plenty more if there is a big BTL sell off, people don`t believe that a house is a money machine any more so it will be much harder to sell than previously, price needs to reflect this IMO.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Jul 18, 2:09 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I'll be honest, have not read the thread but my initial reaction was... less than positive. "Doing it rather too brown", perhaps? It is possible to be too neutral, I think.

Sorry, OP but it looks completely characterless, never mind soulless to me. Nothing sets it apart, nothing draws you in. I think some personal touches would go a long way; little splashes of colour, a throw, a pot plant, you know, something to say it is a home rather than just a house.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jul 18, 2:33 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 7,906 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    There are a lot of threads on here from people who are stumped as to why their house hasn't sold. Their estate agents are stumped as to why their house hasn't sold. They would like to know why. Then when people post about it in the way that someone looking at it with a view to buying it might view it they say that we are being rude. Anything that anyone on here notices as a negative about the house is going to be something that a prospective buyer notices that is likely to put them off even before viewing. So that cuts down the number of viewers for a start.

There have been posters who have asked advice taken the advice on board and sold their houses. Then there are others who don't want the question answered but just want posters to say how nice their house is and they are also stumped as to why it hasn't sold.

What some of the posters don't realise that they are selling one house. Their potential buyers could be viewing lots of houses and comparing them against each other. Any house with several negatives will be at the bottom of everyone's list. At the moment modern leasehold houses put a lot of people off because there is so much bad publicity about the ground rent. Old leasehold houses where the ground rent is something like £10 per year and is not likely to ever rise don't bother many people it is the modern ones that people don't want to buy where the ground rents starts in the £100s and rises. Why would anyone want to buy a modern leasehold house when they can find one that is just as good and freehold?

The basic thing is that if you are trying to sell a house and no one is viewing then there is something that is putting people off. Estate agents can't force people to view a house that they don't want to buy. Some sellers think that a house is not selling because the estate agents are working hard enough to force people to view. You can't force people to view and you can't force people to buy a house they don't want. You also can't force people to pay your asking price if they think it is too much.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Jul 18, 4:21 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 7,506 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Man, I gotta read this thread now.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 13th Jul 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,293 Posts
    • 6,733 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    I'll be honest, have not read the thread but my initial reaction was... less than positive. "Doing it rather too brown", perhaps? It is possible to be too neutral, I think.

Sorry, OP but it looks completely characterless, never mind soulless to me. Nothing sets it apart, nothing draws you in. I think some personal touches would go a long way; little splashes of colour, a throw, a pot plant, you know, something to say it is a home rather than just a house.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    This ^

Apart from the leasehold issue, which would be an immediate no-no for me, sadly there is nothing that makes your house stand out from the crowd, OP. Imho it needs some character adding, both inside and out. Something that makes it a home rather than just another property........ little touches that can be taken to your new home.

Three weeks is no time at all though.
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free for ten years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • SallyDucati
    • By SallyDucati 13th Jul 18, 4:38 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    SallyDucati
    Just had another look at the ad on Rightmove. OP - the pics of the driveway make it look much more obvious, and mentioning 995 year lease and peppercorn rent in the initial points is a good idea, should alay some peoples fears of new build leases.

Hope it works for you!
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 16th Jul 18, 6:33 PM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 2,511 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    Originally posted by seashore22

Yep, and so it should.
    • _CC_
    • By _CC_ 16th Jul 18, 6:57 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    _CC_
    Yep, and so it should.
    Originally posted by Crashy Time
    CrashyClown, you had already replied to that quote.

Yet again trying to bump these types of threads onto page 1. Sad.

There's a thread about renting in Edinburgh, why not be helpful and share you vast experience being a tenant in there instead?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,080Posts Today

7,868Users online

Martin's Twitter