Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Mrsburg
    Why won't our house sell?
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    Why won't our house sell? 11th Jul 18 at 11:41 AM
    Hi this is my first post so please bear with me.

We are struggling to sell our house. It has been on the market for almost 3 weeks and the EA assured us we'd have 15 views and 10 offers withing the first 4 weeks. I appreciate that is sales patter but what we've had is very disappointing.

We've had 6 views, no one had requested a second viewing and no offers. Feedback has been limited, along the lines of "not suitable".

The EA has sold lots of houses locally recently so we do believe it's fairly priced.

To us the pictures seem good and portray the house well, but I'm very interested in any feedback or tips anyone can offer - the good, the bad and the ugly!

The media tells us Manchester is the fastest growing property market in the UK but it doesn't seem to be translating to our home. We've missed out on several homes we're interested in buying locally because they're just going too fast.

MSE won't let me post the link - how can I get round this?

Edit - broken link here: right move . co . uk / property for sale / property - 6 5 9 3 6 8 5 7 . h t m l
    Last edited by Mrsburg; 11-07-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Updated info
Page 3
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 11th Jul 18, 10:02 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    diggingdude
    Only 3 miles to Strangeways It's a shame as the house itself is nice
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021 17296
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:34 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    That is a valid point.

Being from the area of the country I'm from - stuff like "management fees" literally doesnt cross my mind. I assume everything (anywhere in the country is "normal"- ie no management fees/ all roads adopted/etc/etc).

But - it is clear that these days and (for some areas of the country) this isnt the norm/hasnt been the norm ever - and I would say it's necessary to make the point "All is normal...." - because of just how many houses aren't in that position.

Admits to being shocked/horrified that one even has to "ask the question"....

EDIT: Leasehold - WTF????? That ain't "normal"....it's "literally doesnt cross the mind of many of us"!!!

Is there any way to get the house from "leasehold" to "normal"?? I know I just looked at the house through "It's normal" glasses - and wouldnt have clicked it isnt/thought didnt cross my mind. That may be where the problem lies - ie if it ain't "normal" - its "leasehold".

I can understand why someone would take the house as being "normal" on the face of it and I was certainly taking that for granted personally - then investigate further and think "WTH???? Next please". So, in your position, if it aint "normal" - what can you do to make it "normal" (ie not leasehold)??
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Sorry not totally sure of the point you're making. Leasehold is fairly normal for where we are.
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:36 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    I think you need to adjust your expectations.

The two best times to sell houses are Easter to June and Mid September to mid November.

The summer is always a difficult time as people are focused on Holidays, especially if they have children.

Three weeks is nothing and it seems you have succumbed to the Estate Agents sale patter. Remember these people are the lowest form of life that exists on Earth, have no morals and are blatant liars.

They have promised you the earth and delivered nothing. Welcome to the shady world of Estate Agency
    Originally posted by phill99
    Thanks you I think you are probably right there.
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    That is not a double driveway that is allocated parking. A driveway goes up to the house so that you can unload your shopping outside the garage or your front door. The description of a double drive way implies that the drive going down the side of the house is two cars wide and that you could possibly put in a double garage. Your allocated parking spaces are no better than on street parking where you have a small front garden which is exactly what it looks like.

Someone who wants a house with a drive is not going to buy yours because it doesn't have one. You have allocated parking. It can be either in front of the house or somewhere else but it will be on your deeds. It is not a driveway.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    I can assure you it is a driveway and not allocated parking. It is on our deeds and we could fence / gate it if we wished.
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:40 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    I don't think a leasehold house with allocated parking has gone up 30k from new in under 5 years in an undesirable area in the Manchester area. New houses have a premium on them so when you paid 160 for it the second hand price then for a new leasehold house was probably around 150k. You are now asking offers in excess of 190k that is an increase of 40k and I just can't see it not in that area and leasehold. It isn't near a station so although Manchester town centre is not far away most people will want a station. Most people don't want new leasehold houses. I would say that it is extremely overpriced. If houses are selling and yours isn't then it is going to be the price. Leasehold knocks about 10k off the price compared to freehold. So unless you can get 200k for a freehold 3 bed semi with no drive and a small back garden on the edge of a rough area yours is overpriced.
    Originally posted by Cakeguts
    The price point is based on other sales on the same estate including the next door house which sold for 190 2 months ago. You seem to think you're an expert but I'd hazard a guess that you're not. Thanks for the constructive feedback, I think you've offered all that we need from you.
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:41 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    Mrsburg, 3 weeks is not long. You are brave to post a link to your property here because you are at the mercy of an army of armchair housedoctors, many of whom probably never even owned their own home.

You are looking for support but following your link, you will just get a stream of "declutter" and "cut the grass" posts. Do you honestly think a trimmed lawn would make the difference between a sale or not?

Thanks very much, think you're right about the armchair house doctors hehe.
    The secret is pricing, not necessarily being the cheapest but value for money, ie ready to move into. A good agent is worth their money in marketing your property to their audience. Most unfortunately are shiny suited chancers who didn't sit at the back of the class at school and think "one day I will be an estate agent".

Present your house in the nicest way you can, price it competitively and keep pushing your agent.

Next time you sell, do your due diligence on the agent before you appoint them.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    Thanks very much, think you're right about the arm chair house doctors, hehe.
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:43 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope
    Originally posted by diggingdude
    Salford is in Greater Manchester and thanks but I won't be paying you to buy it. Carry on.
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 10:46 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Mrsburg

What point are you trying to make ? 3 miles is pretty far, there's way more valuable houses much closer to the prison.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Jul 18, 12:35 AM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 7,273 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I can assure you it is a driveway and not allocated parking. It is on our deeds and we could fence / gate it if we wished.
    Originally posted by Mrsburg

Allocated parking is always on the deeds. We have a rental house with parking a bit like this and it certainly isn't a driveway. The parking spaces for our house are on the deeds too. That is what allocated parking is. Sometimes you can have allocated parking that is on the deeds that is not right next to the house. What you have there is allocated parking the whole estate has it.

A driveway runs through the front garden over a dropped kerb. The dropped kerb would be the width required to get one car over it. for your house to have a driveway both cars would have to access the parking spaces from one dropped kerb on one side so you would have to drive over one of the spaces to get to the other space. The other difference between allocated spaces and driveways is that with a driveway you can build a garage. There is no way that you can build a garage on one of your allocated parking spaces.

Buyers aren't stupid they aren't going to pay more for your house because you call allocated parking spaces a driveway.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Jul 18, 12:54 AM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 7,273 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I would think that the house on the corner would have more appeal because getting out of the allocated parking spaces could be easier because if people park on the other side of the road they won't block the cars in also the back garden is better because it doesn't back onto the side of a garage.

People think that everyone who posts on here has no experience of buying houses. Some of us do. I am a landlord so have bought several houses. The reasons why I wouldn't buy yours to let is because I don't like the parking arrangement. If I buy a 3 bed semi I need to have a drive that goes up the side of the house in case I want to add a garage and because I know that people prefer to have a private drive rather than allocated parking spaces. I can also buy a house in train commuting distance of Manchester centre close to a station, in a very nice area and for a lot less than 190k.
    • jamesperrett
    • By jamesperrett 12th Jul 18, 1:36 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    jamesperrett
    Sorry not totally sure of the point you're making. Leasehold is fairly normal for where we are.
    Over the last year or two there has been quite a bit of press coverage of the problems with leasehold houses. People are now more aware of this issue and will be less likely to buy a leasehold house. There is some talk of making it illegal for developers to sell houses that would normally be freehold as leasehold.
    • Armorica
    • By Armorica 12th Jul 18, 2:23 AM
    • 738 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    Armorica
    Overall it looks nicely presented. If i were being really critical I'd say the sofa in the lounge is a little overbearing and I was questioning where the TV was right until the last photo of the lounge. If you can't do anything about the sofa perhaps lose the additional single chair in the living room?

I'd also be tempted to lose pic 9 of the back of the door - it looks a little like a prison cell door and doesn't really add anything imo.

Perhaps some pots in the garden with flowers to add a little colour - however the garden itself will attract both keen gardeners as a blank canvas and people who want low maintenance. Although it seems to be quite a busy estate from the look of surrounding houses, it gets points from me that it doesn't appear overlooked.

3 weeks really isn't a long time to have the house on the market, could you perhaps have an open house in a couple of weeks? To me this seems to be a way of a) getting a good block of viewings all at once b) creating a little competition between prospective buyers as seeing others looking about the house creates a bit of 'I want' (again imo)
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    I agree with most of these points - I liked the chair though. The sofa/carpet combination wasn't good though nor was the location of the TV.

The inside photo of the door isn't good.

Three weeks isn't very long - but it seems overpriced. Is your estate agent experienced? It looks priced as if detached or four-bed and yours is neither.

And another vote for allocated parking.

While the house is decluttered - that now just makes it feels like a house rather than a home. And from google, the road feels like it's lacking in character as well.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Jul 18, 7:08 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    00ec25
    it looks like a soulless modern box. It is neatly presented and clean so the pics look ok and do their job of showing what the house has to offer, but overall they fail to convey any sense of a lifestyle that one could aspire to by living there.

It looks like a new build that no one has yet fallen in love with, particularly the small rear "garden", ie block of turf the developers put down but didn't want to spend 1p on planting or making into a garden.

leasehold, enough said

i didn't even realise it had parking until reading on here as I didn't get past the pics on the EA listing as I hit the see nearby competitors button and got absorbed in their offerings instead

3 weeks whilst a summer heatwave is on (plus football), in a location where people will not be clamouring to be moved in before the new school year starts, means it is nothing, as it is not the "best" time of year to be selling
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Jul 18, 7:57 AM
    • 19,738 Posts
    • 45,687 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I think you're going to have to spend some money making this obvious and get photos up that clearly show this.

No matter how much you 'assure' that it is a drive it doesn't look like it, and looks is all that people have to go on when they're searching, the first impression is allocated parking, not drive.

If I were looking for a house with a drive I wouldn't even look twice at yours because from the photos on Rightmove and Google that isn't a drive.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 12th Jul 18, 8:03 AM
    • 19,738 Posts
    • 45,687 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Maybe that's where they got the idea for those front doors from
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 12th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    seashore22
    I quite like the house, but I wouldn't buy it because it's leasehold. Nothing against that in general and our first home (a flat) was leasehold, but I see no reason for a house to be leasehold. I may be in the minority though.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 12th Jul 18, 8:11 AM
    • 6,992 Posts
    • 6,663 Thanks
    00ec25
    Maybe that's where they got the idea for those front doors from
    Originally posted by peachyprice

yes I had to do a double take before realising it was not the letterbox really high up or a slot through which you pass food to the prisoner

and having now looked at streetview, what a totally different impression it is to see the parking spaces. Yes i understand why they are yours, but they really need visual inclusion "into" your property because everything at the moment serves to separate them from your house. The boundary brick wall stops at the "end" of your front garden. No one paints white lines down their driveway, you do that in car parks and allocated spaces, not on a driveway.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 12-07-2018 at 8:18 AM.
    • dlmcr
    • By dlmcr 12th Jul 18, 8:19 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    dlmcr
    This thread is going to turn into a classic "why isn't my house selling" and then when the opening poster gets feedback that they don't want to hear they passive aggressively turn on certain posters. Comments from the opening poster such as :

"Salford is in Greater Manchester and thanks but I won't be paying you to buy it. Carry on."

"You seem to think you're an expert but I'd hazard a guess that you're not. Thanks for the constructive feedback, I think you've offered all that we need from you."

.. together with several other comments from the opening poster demonstrate they are not really interested in objectively receiving and acting on feedback but would rather the resonses received re-inforce their own position that they must absolutely positively be right in being bemused as to why their house isn't selling.

Here is some feedback from me - shock horror - I actually own a house, isn't that amazing - so I can give feedback as a fellow homeowner! I also have life experience and approximate ideas about what would be attractive to buyers when looking at potential houses so that's amazing as well!

- Location is not good - faaar from stations and you need a car to get anywhere, not good if you want to commute into Manchester, what about if you want to pop out in the evening for a meal? Got to drive there... in fact, got to drive anywhere.
    - Sorry the area just looks really soul-less. It's a shame so many new build houses are being build in these sort of areas where there is really no infrastructure and it is only your fault in the sense you bought a house there. I cannot imagine living anywhere that is semi urban and yet so far from infrastructure that you would need to drive everywhere. All of the disadvantages of being urban but none of the advantages?

- Leasehold - again not your fault but there is a theme of new build houses being leashold. Do you understand what leasehold is? Rather than just saying you don't see what the probelm is do you actually understand the legal differences between a leasehold and a freehold?
    - Offers in Excess of - always gets my back up. (on a house in Salford, seriously?)
    - That old chestnut - price. Unfortunately or fortunately I think the price is not that far off the mark. In my city as in many other "northern" cities prices in the last couple of years have just gone mental and to be honest defy belief. I have seen countless times in my home city (Nottingham) places coming onto the market that have been priced at 40 - 60% than it sold for only 2 - 3 years ago. Nothing has been done to it and so it is essentially the same house. Time after time they sell within days and yes they complete at the agreed price so the banks must agree with the pricing!

- The house itself is just a little bare and I have trouble visualising how I could live there. Maybe a few more touches but not overboard.
    - The garden looks very unloved and again a few touches here such as pot plants would make a lot of difference.

So in summary in my opinion: basically there is not much wrong with the house other than the leasehold issue and some cosmetics but the area for me is just terrible for various reasons. I could quite easily afford your house thanks as I have a well paying job and plenty of money (!) but I would not chose to view because the location is poor and I can get better for my money.

The problem with these types of threads is you get an opening poster who is usually not sure why their houe isn't selling. There are normally 2 motivations for them starting a thread like this:

1) They genuinely want to sell and are realistic about the postives and negatives and want other opinions to try and improve the possibility of a sale,

2) They do not really understand much about why their house isn't attractive, perhaps they are emotionally attached to it and so are unable to distance themselves and clinically see a list of positive and negative points. They will then go and start a thread expecting everyone to agree with their point of view about things and then get angry and defensive when the responses made reveal there are a number of things that are in fact negatives and that they have possibly made a poor choice in originally buying what they did...
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Jul 18, 8:24 AM
    • 10,633 Posts
    • 12,187 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Agree with others, it may technically be a drive but it certainly looks like allocated parking and it wouldn't surprise me if visitors to other houses sometimes parked in those places. The work you've done in the front garden doesn't help with that, if the drive went direct all the way to the house it would be clear to everyone else that it was a longish drive and a no go parking there. It's a bit late now but IMO you'd have been bettter off putting the landscaping effort into the back garden not the front.

I don't know what happened in your six viewings but unless it was made explicit at the time it's quite possible all six assumed you didn't have a drive but had allocated parking. And there must have been any number of online viewers of the pics who saw no drive and assumed there wasn't even parking at all. Terrible fail by the EA putting that indoor picture of the door instead of the parking spaces.

And yes generally I think you've decluttered too much as mentioned by others a few more pics on some of the blank walls. I don't think it matters once your in the house but it may put people looking online off.

Add to that this is a poor time to be selling a house, just before summer holidays with football as well. There maybe more activity from Sep onwards. I know price can help but I wouldn't buy this at any realistic price because of the apparent parking situation.

I also wouldn't ever buy a leasehold house but if that's common in that area maybe it's not as much of an issue for most buyers there.
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 12th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    OP, you need to understand that the (free!) advice you're getting here may well be very blunt, but it it is meant with the best of intentions - i.e. to help you sell your house.

When I recently sold our old house and bought the new one, the most challenging part was disconnecting my emotional attachment to the property and instead viewing it as an economic/business situation. It's really difficult when your home is getting slated, but it's only your home - to other people, it's a house.

Ultimately, being realistic and pragmatic about all aspects of the property is what gets it sold.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,645Posts Today

7,608Users online

Martin's Twitter