Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Mrsburg
    Why won't our house sell?
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    Why won't our house sell? 11th Jul 18 at 11:41 AM
    Hi this is my first post so please bear with me.

We are struggling to sell our house. It has been on the market for almost 3 weeks and the EA assured us we'd have 15 views and 10 offers withing the first 4 weeks. I appreciate that is sales patter but what we've had is very disappointing.

We've had 6 views, no one had requested a second viewing and no offers. Feedback has been limited, along the lines of "not suitable".

The EA has sold lots of houses locally recently so we do believe it's fairly priced.

To us the pictures seem good and portray the house well, but I'm very interested in any feedback or tips anyone can offer - the good, the bad and the ugly!

The media tells us Manchester is the fastest growing property market in the UK but it doesn't seem to be translating to our home. We've missed out on several homes we're interested in buying locally because they're just going too fast.

MSE won't let me post the link - how can I get round this?

Edit - broken link here: right move . co . uk / property for sale / property - 6 5 9 3 6 8 5 7 . h t m l
    Last edited by Mrsburg; 11-07-2018 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Updated info
Page 2
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Jul 18, 1:33 PM
    • 7,170 Posts
    • 49,817 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Overall it looks nicely presented. If i were being really critical I'd say the sofa in the lounge is a little overbearing and I was questioning where the TV was right until the last photo of the lounge. If you can't do anything about the sofa perhaps lose the additional single chair in the living room?

I'd also be tempted to lose pic 9 of the back of the door - it looks a little like a prison cell door and doesn't really add anything imo.

Perhaps some pots in the garden with flowers to add a little colour - however the garden itself will attract both keen gardeners as a blank canvas and people who want low maintenance. Although it seems to be quite a busy estate from the look of surrounding houses, it gets points from me that it doesn't appear overlooked.

3 weeks really isn't a long time to have the house on the market, could you perhaps have an open house in a couple of weeks? To me this seems to be a way of a) getting a good block of viewings all at once b) creating a little competition between prospective buyers as seeing others looking about the house creates a bit of 'I want' (again imo)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 14,062 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Was here to mention the double driveway. Can see clearly it's in front of the front garden on streetview - the EAs were mad not to include a pic of that. Much better than having a car under your front window.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • brewthebear
    • By brewthebear 11th Jul 18, 1:38 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    brewthebear
    House nice but very univiting maybe you have gone to far in being neutral It does not feel cosy or like a home just a shell ?? my opinion anyway.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 11th Jul 18, 3:21 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    If I was nitpicking, I'd say that the fish eye lens effect in the photos is a little offputting, while some of the photos either don't add anything, or actually detract from the appeal (eg the back garden looks unkempt, the hall and landing shots look like a prison).

However, the real problems are revealed if you look at its listing in the sold prices: it's leasehold, and you're expecting to achieve a sold price of 30k more than you paid for it 5 years ago when you don't appear to have done anything to it.

I think you might have to recognise that whatever price rises Manchester may have experienced in the past, it might not add 30k to the value of your house in the here and now; and however reasonably priced you think it is, the housebuying public don't share that view.

Number 3, which sold in 2016 is probably a better comparison....
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jul 18, 4:12 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 44,454 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    1. Can't see where the "double driveway" mentioned is? Can't even see a single driveway.

2. Can't see the "large rear garden". I can see a small garden. So either your rear garden is being described rather inaccurately or you have another garden elsewhere that isnt shown. Hazards a guess it's the first option out of those two - ie that small rear garden is being misdescribed as "large rear garden".
    No (Brexit) deal = no big deal #shrugs and leave anyway

These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do....
    • Mrsburg
    • By Mrsburg 11th Jul 18, 4:29 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Mrsburg
    If I was nitpicking, I'd say that the fish eye lens effect in the photos is a little offputting, while some of the photos either don't add anything, or actually detract from the appeal (eg the back garden looks unkempt, the hall and landing shots look like a prison).

However, the real problems are revealed if you look at its listing in the sold prices: it's leasehold, and you're expecting to achieve a sold price of 30k more than you paid for it 5 years ago when you don't appear to have done anything to it.

I think you might have to recognise that whatever price rises Manchester may have experienced in the past, it might not add 30k to the value of your house in the here and now; and however reasonably priced you think it is, the housebuying public don't share that view.

Number 3, which sold in 2016 is probably a better comparison....[/URL]
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    The pricing isn't just based on generic price rises, it's based on like for like sales and where we've done considerable improvements versus the same houses. Our next door neighbours sold for 190 2 months ago (annoyingly not on land registry yet) and another house round the corner went for 195 last year. Our house is a much higher spec than those due to improvements we've made.
    • eidand
    • By eidand 11th Jul 18, 4:37 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    eidand
    to be fair the house looks decent, rooms are decent size, but ...
    this looks like a new build and if that's the case, that's where my interest would end. I assume management fees and poor quality build and walk away.
    • SallyDucati
    • By SallyDucati 11th Jul 18, 4:53 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    SallyDucati
    I also think a few pictures on the walls would help, and something to make the garden look a bit more interesting.

The garden does seem rather overlooked so that might be putting some people off. Also how long is the lease? I know some new build houses can have shorter ones (my sisters was originally 125 years) and it think it does affect peoples interest in houses whereas it's expected in flats.

You say your house is much higher spec over others that have sold - what are the improvements?

Having said all that I don't think 3 weeks is much time, not everything sells in a week (I may soon be going to look at one that's been on the market since January)
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Jul 18, 5:20 PM
    • 16,147 Posts
    • 44,454 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    to be fair the house looks decent, rooms are decent size, but ...
    this looks like a new build and if that's the case, that's where my interest would end. I assume management fees and poor quality build and walk away.
    Originally posted by eidand
    That is a valid point.

Being from the area of the country I'm from - stuff like "management fees" literally doesnt cross my mind. I assume everything (anywhere in the country is "normal"- ie no management fees/ all roads adopted/etc/etc).

But - it is clear that these days and (for some areas of the country) this isnt the norm/hasnt been the norm ever - and I would say it's necessary to make the point "All is normal...." - because of just how many houses aren't in that position.

Admits to being shocked/horrified that one even has to "ask the question"....

EDIT: Leasehold - WTF????? That ain't "normal"....it's "literally doesnt cross the mind of many of us"!!!

Is there any way to get the house from "leasehold" to "normal"?? I know I just looked at the house through "It's normal" glasses - and wouldnt have clicked it isnt/thought didnt cross my mind. That may be where the problem lies - ie if it ain't "normal" - its "leasehold".

I can understand why someone would take the house as being "normal" on the face of it and I was certainly taking that for granted personally - then investigate further and think "WTH???? Next please". So, in your position, if it aint "normal" - what can you do to make it "normal" (ie not leasehold)??
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-07-2018 at 5:33 PM.
    No (Brexit) deal = no big deal #shrugs and leave anyway

These boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do....
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 11th Jul 18, 5:51 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 1,916 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    1. Can't see where the "double driveway" mentioned is? Can't even see a single driveway.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    This could be the single biggest factor for the lack on interest. I can see from google street view the property does indeed come with a double drive but for some unfathomable reason the EA decided to take a photo of the front of the house which makes it look like there's no drive at all. Anyone skimming through Rightmove listings who needs a house with a drive would go likely go straight past this one.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Jul 18, 6:03 PM
    • 8,127 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    phill99
    I think you need to adjust your expectations.

The two best times to sell houses are Easter to June and Mid September to mid November.

The summer is always a difficult time as people are focused on Holidays, especially if they have children.

Three weeks is nothing and it seems you have succumbed to the Estate Agents sale patter. Remember these people are the lowest form of life that exists on Earth, have no morals and are blatant liars.

They have promised you the earth and delivered nothing. Welcome to the shady world of Estate Agency
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 11th Jul 18, 6:51 PM
    • 19,493 Posts
    • 45,197 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Thanks for feedback about the double drive. We will get them to post a picture showing it clearly.

Yes the double drive is within our property and in theory could be changed to gravel, etc but would not be in keeping with the whole estate so not sure people would want to do it. It's an option though!! We're quite lucky that we have a double drive + a nice front garden
    Originally posted by Mrsburg
    I don't think the box planters helps, it makes the 'drive' look like it's part of the street rather that part of your house. Could you move them to the sides of the parking spaces to make them actually look like part of the front of your house? At the moment they just look like communal spaces.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jul 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Thanks for feedback about the double drive. We will get them to post a picture showing it clearly.

Yes the double drive is within our property and in theory could be changed to gravel, etc but would not be in keeping with the whole estate so not sure people would want to do it. It's an option though!! We're quite lucky that we have a double drive + a nice front garden so no real need to change it.
    Originally posted by Mrsburg

That is not a double driveway that is allocated parking. A driveway goes up to the house so that you can unload your shopping outside the garage or your front door. The description of a double drive way implies that the drive going down the side of the house is two cars wide and that you could possibly put in a double garage. Your allocated parking spaces are no better than on street parking where you have a small front garden which is exactly what it looks like.

Someone who wants a house with a drive is not going to buy yours because it doesn't have one. You have allocated parking. It can be either in front of the house or somewhere else but it will be on your deeds. It is not a driveway.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 11-07-2018 at 8:26 PM.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    The description says large rear garden It isn't large it is smaller than normal because the plot is very narrow simply because there is no driveway. The driveways on modern houses go down the side and you can put in a garage. There is nowhere with your house that you can have a garage. You can't even stop other people from parking in your allocated parking spaces.

The houses that fetch the best prices have driveways that go up to to and down the side of the house so that you can put in a garage. Ones without driveways like yours are much much less desirable.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jul 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    It is in a rough area and it is leasehold. Leasehold houses are extremely difficult to sell and do not fetch as much as the same type of house being freehold.

It is the first time I have ever heard a house on the edge of a rough council estate described as being in a very desirable area. Desirable to who?

It going to have to be cheap if you want to sell it because they area will be at the bottom of everyone's buying areas. It doesn't have a drive that you can put a gate on only allocated parking and it is leasehold.

Did you tell the estate agent that it was leasehold when they valued it?
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jul 18, 8:54 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I don't think a leasehold house with allocated parking has gone up 30k from new in under 5 years in an undesirable area in the Manchester area. New houses have a premium on them so when you paid 160 for it the second hand price then for a new leasehold house was probably around 150k. You are now asking offers in excess of 190k that is an increase of 40k and I just can't see it not in that area and leasehold. It isn't near a station so although Manchester town centre is not far away most people will want a station. Most people don't want new leasehold houses. I would say that it is extremely overpriced. If houses are selling and yours isn't then it is going to be the price. Leasehold knocks about 10k off the price compared to freehold. So unless you can get 200k for a freehold 3 bed semi with no drive and a small back garden on the edge of a rough area yours is overpriced.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 11th Jul 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,144 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    Mrsburg, 3 weeks is not long. You are brave to post a link to your property here because you are at the mercy of an army of armchair housedoctors, many of whom probably never even owned their own home.

You are looking for support but following your link, you will just get a stream of "declutter" and "cut the grass" posts. Do you honestly think a trimmed lawn would make the difference between a sale or not?

The secret is pricing, not necessarily being the cheapest but value for money, ie ready to move into. A good agent is worth their money in marketing your property to their audience. Most unfortunately are shiny suited chancers who didn't sit at the back of the class at school and think "one day I will be an estate agent".

Present your house in the nicest way you can, price it competitively and keep pushing your agent.

Next time you sell, do your due diligence on the agent before you appoint them.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - 4,165 | Stooz Profits - 7,636 | Quidco - 4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    This is cheaper on the same road and another 3 bed semi also not sold. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64872595.html Been on the market since April.

4 bed with garage same development cheaper and sold. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-72879323.html

You are not going to sell a 3 bed for more than a 4 bed.

Here you go. This is what 3 bed semis sell for in your area. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-73796882.html the house was added in June and is sold. These are also leasehold so are a direct match apart from the fact that they do have driveways and are bit nearer the rough part of your area.
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 11th Jul 18, 9:29 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    diggingdude
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225 13121.22 14621.22 16021
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jul 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,567 Posts
    • 6,586 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope
    Originally posted by diggingdude

I am always amazed by the fact that people buy new houses in the most awful areas and are then surprised that they can't sell them. It is almost as if they didn't look to see what the surrounding area was like and just got fixated on the new house they were buying. On streetview close to this one you can see a really rough area quite close by. How you could miss that when you were buying the house in the first place I find difficult to comprehend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,893Posts Today

8,929Users online

Martin's Twitter