Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 11th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    • 796Posts
    • 374Thanks
    golddustmedia
    The Outside Clinic - Overpriced pressure selling to the elderly
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:24 AM
    The Outside Clinic - Overpriced pressure selling to the elderly 11th Jul 18 at 11:24 AM
    Recently the Outside Clinic visited a member of my family in his 90's for a home eye test which he believed was an NHS home visit service, much like the district nurse.

By the time the "optician" had left he had taken a card payment for 300 for a pair of reading glasses and gel for eyelids!

As the patient in his 90's rarely reads and sleeps the majority of the day he confided in us that he didn't want the glasses but felt pressured into buying them as the optician (salesman) had taken the time to visit him at home. As he said; "I've not worn glasses for the last 90 years, I don't intend to now!".

Worst of all, armed with a prescription we could easily order online or go to a local optician to buy similar glasses for well under 100, if they were actually wanted!

Not happy and currently seeking a refund!

I feel this company exploits vulnerable elderly persons to pressure sell overpriced goods they'll get little benefit from.
Page 1
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 11th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 1,148 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 11:27 AM
    problem with any optometrist / optician service is that there is a set fee for the test (which doesn't really cover costs) and then they have to make far more out of the lenses / glasses etc etc.

Have a chat with them and lean on the "vulnerable" side and "are you sure he had capacity to decided about this?"
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 20,723 Posts
    • 55,818 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:52 PM
    I think it would be a good idea to proactively have a word with your family member and explain that he should never make appointments with anyone with arranging for someone to be with him.
    It shouldn't be necessary and may make him feel less than able to manage on his own but if that's what it takes to stop him being scammed...
    Unfortunately, there's some pretty nasty scumbags out there.

I've drilled it into my elderly Mum not to talk to cold callers on the phone or at the door
    • Iwanttobefree
    • By Iwanttobefree 23rd Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 3,765 Thanks
    Iwanttobefree
    • 23rd Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    • 23rd Jul 18, 10:16 PM
    Sadly my wife sees elderly client after client (she's a mobile hairdresser) that has succumb to high pressure selling whether in the home or on the phone.

Quite a few times she's phoned up pretending to be their daughter/carer etc and got the money back.

It's disgusting, charities are often the worst.
    I went to the doctor the other day, Lady Doctor, She says

"We've got your test results back, we know what it is.

You've got beating heart disease" Howard Devoto 2009
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 24th Jul 18, 9:27 AM
    • 16,380 Posts
    • 12,443 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:27 AM
    • 24th Jul 18, 9:27 AM
    Sadly my wife sees elderly client after client (she's a mobile hairdresser) that has succumb to high pressure selling whether in the home or on the phone.

Quite a few times she's phoned up pretending to be their daughter/carer etc and got the money back.

It's disgusting, charities are often the worst.
    Originally posted by Iwanttobefree
    What kind of a human takes a job where they have to be exploit people for a living! Thank goodness for caring people like your wife

http://www.thinkjessica.com
    Last edited by hollydays; 24-07-2018 at 9:38 AM.
    • thrifty_pete
    • By thrifty_pete 24th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    thrifty_pete
    • 24th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 24th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    It is sad that charities prey on vulnerable people. A relative in his nineties had 6k taken from him over the course of a year by being regularly phoned by charities. He couldn't always remember how much money he had already given. Presumably the people calling are on commission, exactly like sales people are.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 24th Jul 18, 12:22 PM
    • 20,723 Posts
    • 55,818 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 24th Jul 18, 12:22 PM
    • 24th Jul 18, 12:22 PM
    It is sad that charities prey on vulnerable people. A relative in his nineties had 6k taken from him over the course of a year by being regularly phoned by charities. He couldn't always remember how much money he had already given. Presumably the people calling are on commission, exactly like sales people are.
    Originally posted by thrifty_pete
    Shocking, isn't it.
    I've advised the charities that I donate to by DD that if they ever contact me by phone or post, I will immediately cancel my donation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

9,179Users online

Martin's Twitter