Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lisa121989
    • By Lisa121989 11th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lisa121989
    Ex kept all of joint PPI Claim
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:37 AM
    Ex kept all of joint PPI Claim 11th Jul 18 at 8:37 AM
    I am stressed to high heavens..

Approximately 6 months ago my ex hubby asked me to sign a PPI claim form as it needed both of our signatures. He said anything he got back would be halved.
    6 months later, Iím chasing him up as he said heíd heard nothing back and he said he canít remember the name of the claim company which is very unusual for him!

Anyway, he finally tells me heíd received £715.92 in January but he hadnt realised and that heíd put half into
    my bank account. I have asked what this relates to as we had an endowment and was expecting much more than this, anyway, I asked for the name of the company again as this would be on the bank remittance and he ian point blank refusing to tell me which screams to me that heís lying AGAIN!
    Where do I go from here? I canít afford a solicitor. I have 2 children that he doesnít give a toss about or help out with financially, Iím so stressed.
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:41 AM
    Short of small claims court not really much you can do
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 11th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:55 AM
    Not sure why you think having an endowment would make you think it would make any PPI payment 'much more'. An endowment is not PPI.

TBH if it is causing you so much stress maybe you are best just forgetting about it. Did he give you the half of yhe £715.92?
    • Paul_DNAP
    • By Paul_DNAP 11th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Paul_DNAP
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:58 AM
    He sounds like a complete waste of space, easy to see why he's your ex, I think it may be well worth asking yourself is the stress and hassle of trying to deal with him worth whatever money you could end up chasing him for years to get? Or will it be a nice down payment on the pleasure of never having to speak to him again?
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
    • Lisa121989
    • By Lisa121989 11th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisa121989
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:00 AM
    His behaviour makes me think itís much more. Firstly he wonít show me that particular payment going into his bank and secondly he will not tell me the name of the company so I can check with them. Why should I let it go when itís rightfully my money too? Heís in the wrong, not me.
    • Lisa121989
    • By Lisa121989 11th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisa121989
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    I know what youíre saying but I am actually struggling financially (I do work btw) so even if it was the £300 odd pounds he claims it is itís a lot of money to me and he knows that and whatever money I have gets spent on the children for things they need.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 11th Jul 18, 9:05 AM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    BoGoF
    Only you can decide what to do, was just saying if it's causing you so much stress already then it's going to affect your health. Pursuing it further is likely to be even more stressful.
    • Lisa121989
    • By Lisa121989 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisa121989
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:08 AM
    Ps... I know an endownment isnít PPI, there is a brain rattling around in my head somewhere! No he hasnít given me half of the £715 either.

To simplify my question, Itís a joint claim. Iím owed half. He hasnít given me half. Is it fraud?
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 11th Jul 18, 9:16 AM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:16 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:16 AM
    Do you know who the lender was? You could write to them for details and ask why they sent the full amount to your ex.....unless the forms you completed authorised him to receive the full amount.
    • Lisa121989
    • By Lisa121989 11th Jul 18, 9:29 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lisa121989
    He dealt with all of the finances when we were together so I have no idea to be honest.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Jul 18, 10:16 AM
    • 93,425 Posts
    • 60,948 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I have asked what this relates to as we had an endowment and was expecting much more than this
    Endowments do not have PPI on them. So, your expectation of a complaint about PPI on an endowment would be zero. This must be on something else.

A small refund of £775 suggests it was only a short period or more likely it was a rejection and this is a plevin refund. Or that he used a claims company and is giving you a cut after their fee.

You can contact the bank/firm in question and ask them how much the refund was.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 13th Jul 18, 10:21 AM
    • 7,432 Posts
    • 5,503 Thanks
    -taff
    Normally if it was a joint complaint you would each be paid half of the redress.
    If however, the PPI was in his name with you, and he was the person named, all the PPI would go to him, you would not be entitled to any of it.

The fact that he hasn't paid you anything, and the fact that you have not been given any redress by the company involved, suggests this is the likely possibility.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Jul 18, 10:53 AM
    • 36,063 Posts
    • 46,482 Thanks
    McKneff
    Ps... I know an endownment isnít PPI, there is a brain rattling around in my head somewhere! No he hasnít given me half of the £715 either.

To simplify my question, Itís a joint claim. Iím owed half. He hasnít given me half. Is it fraud?
    Originally posted by Lisa121989
    You maybe have a brain, but you reply is just plain rude. People are trying to help you.
    At least you are balanced, you seem to have a chip on both shoulders
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 13th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 4,956 Posts
    • 3,005 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    It's not fraud no, don't waste money on a solicitor either, if it was a sole policy covering only him then you aren't owed a penny. The sum indicates a Plevin refund, it's highly unlikely statistically you'd get a payout for an MPPI policy because they were largely not miss-sold (a view supported by the FOS based on their rejection rate). The endowment is separate from any PPI policy and has no bearing on the value of any refund
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,062Posts Today

5,002Users online

Martin's Twitter