Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jul 18, 3:11 AM
    • 1,671Posts
    • 18,453Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 11th July 2018
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:11 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 11th July 2018 11th Jul 18 at 3:11 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jul 18, 3:30 AM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 18,453 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:30 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 3:30 AM
    Morning everyone

As it was a fair bit cooler here yesterday I took to opportunity to catch up on housework and managed to clean right through and even finished the insides of the windows I started doing a few weeks ago.

The fish pie I made yesterday made a nice change from salad and I am going to make a chicken casserole for dinner today. I have some scones in the freezer so will have one of them with some jam and cream for dessert. I will probably be back to salads by the end of the week when the forecast is for it to get hot again.

Today all I plan to do is a little bit of food shopping and then go for a walk this afternoon.

Bellabella I hope that you are feeling a bit better this morning,

TA itís understandable that you are worried, you are going through such a lot right now and have every right to moan. I just wish there was something I could do to help xx

I hope that your first day back working went well yesterday Nelski.

RosyRed I hope that your back is a bit better this morning.

Congratulations for yesterday on your 48 years anniversary meanmarie.

Silver-oldie good luck with sorting out the tv and the phone. A friend of mine also recently gave up Sky when the contract came to an end like you, and bought a humax box so that she could record as well and is very happy with it.

Specky I think that is usual to share the costs these days.

NannyWindow I love pineapple upside down cake if there is any left over.

Hester that bite sounds really painful, I hope the pharmacist was able to help.

Have a good day everyone.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Jul 18, 5:47 AM
    • 12,681 Posts
    • 43,585 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:47 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:47 AM
    Morning Holly and all following

Enjoyed the first day back yesterday I arrived way to early but thats the norm for me Wasn't too happy when I got to the site and I was in a room on the 4th floor with no lift but at least it made me do it. Met up with another trainer who was working next door and as we both had only one delegate we finished up earlyish and headed into china town for a early tea He is a dj in Ibiza and trains advanced computer skills as a filler.....good addition to my friend pool I feel ...free tickets to Ministry of Sound and free mac advice

Anyway doing it all again today but numbers wise very different last count I had 40 so no early finish for me I suspect.

Looking forward to the game tonight ...a friend called to see if I wanted to watch in the pub but I wimped out as in truth Ill probably watch it in bed then be asleep 2 mins after...this work lark is taking it out of me lol

Roseyred you are right banana viewing will have to start again soon but this week i just haven't got the time...she will have to get used to times being dependant on my work schedule and not 10 am Tuesdays or toys will be flung out of cot. Interesting times ahead ....

Right time for a last coffee then off have a good day all and lets hope "its coming home"
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 23,361 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:10 AM
    Morning all, thank you for starting the thread Hollyharvey.

Still pretty warm here though not the very high temperatures we had at the weekend.

I gave up on saving for a replacement d*son and have bought a v*x which will be a vacuum cleaner and a carpet cleaner rather than two machines, which would take up more space. I had one before, it was excellent but 3rd hand and eventually it fell apart from age. Bought from am*zon and should be here in a couple of days.

First load of washing nearly done and the second will go in soon.

Today is clean the hard floors day. My life is full of fascination and excitement.

Hope everyone has a good day and happy anniversary for yesterday meanmarie
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 11th Jul 18, 7:03 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:03 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:03 AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. After the previous night of virtually no sleep I feel as though I have slept in this morning! Went to bed 10.30 absolutely shattered and slept right through till 6.00 this morning - not even a loo break! Wish every night was so good.

I feel stupid now after my meltdown yesterday but everything had piled on top of me again. It's hard work trying to keep body and soul together for the both of us.

DD sent me an SOS yesterday, can she bring up a mountain of washing! Her wm had packed in and with 3 girls it soon mounts up. Her bf had taken her to Sonic (wherever and wherever that is!) and an all singing all dancing model is being delivered today.

She is having a new shower room put in on the ground floor and was glad to escape the mess I think! She has been in that house for going on 11 years now and every job she has done reveals a bodged job by the previous owners. She even had a staircase collapse at one point! This is proving no exception. On the face of it this was a lovely shower room - until the floor collapsed taking the shower cubicle and wash basin with it! A text last night to say the workman removed part of the supporting wall and found it held up with 2 metal pipes and needs a structural beam putting in!! No wonder the previous owners emigrated to Tasmania it was the farthest place they could find to hide!

DS is coming up today to take Mr TA for a much need haircut. He is dropping me at the sm on the way and picking me up on the way back. It'll be nice to have help with the heavy bags for a change.

Two jobs I was too tired to do last night need to be addressed next - some washing to bring in and the dw to empty. But first another coffee methinks! Meanwhile folks have a lovely day if you can and ((HUGS)) as always for the poorlies, sad or worried amongst us. Thinking of LAMEWOLF, GERS, DUMPLING and all others with problems. And albeit a day late happy anniversary MM. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 6,843 Posts
    • 95,735 Thanks
    redruby
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:24 AM
    Morning all

Slightly overcast here this morning but meant to brighten up later on, off to work so hopefully it will be a bit cooler.

Something with mince tonight, I might do tacos as its too hot for spag bol or anything like that.

Will do a wash tonight too and hang it out overnight, rubbish and recycling are going out today.

Meanmarie Happy Anniversary for yesterday xx

Specky I think its normal for people to pay half each or to take it in turns, but I would tread carefully with this girl and take it very slowly, if it goes wrong and you still have to work with her it would be very awks ! xx

Rosyred what exactly is happening with your garden etc ? it sounds like a nightmare xx

Bella I hope you are feeling better xx

Have good days all xxx
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 8,477 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:25 AM
    Good morning friends

Thank you for starting us off Holly

Happy anniversary for yesterday Meanmarie

Hester hope those bites are feeling better

Thank you for all your help regarding replacing sky box. Sounds stupid but I found myself feeling a little anxious going to ask about something I don't understand. Decision made humax box with recorder. We don't watch so much tv in the summer but on those dark cold days it will be good.
    Think I will wait a few days/weeks until I try and get a phone. Need courage again

Yesterday started cool but soon it was hot again after mid morning, today looks similar. Please can we have some rain?

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 6,788 Posts
    • 44,602 Thanks
    Gers
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:36 AM
    Good morning everyone.

DM was a bit better yesterday, the ABs have zapped the UTI so that's gone. The docs are tweaking the mix of drugs to control the heart beat problem. During my visit yesterday the consultant took time to see me and explain things first hand. There's a remote possibility of a pacemaker if the drugs don't work. I left her feeling much less fearful than before. Fingers crossed.

The pavements are wet! There was overnight rain, certainly today feels fresher.

I hope that all those feeling rough have a better day. Happy Wednesday folks.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    • 4,079 Posts
    • 50,010 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    Morning All

It's raining here, very gentle but very wet! I'm sure the gardens and allotments will be thankful. Yesterday was overcast but still very warm, the washing dried and the towels weren't all crispy!

Pleased to hear your DM is improving Gers, she (and you) will be looking forward to her coming home soon.
    I'm glad you will be having some help with the shopping TA.
    Hope those bites are feeling better today HH, I had clegg (horse fly) bites from going up to the Highlands about 6 weeks ago and they are just healing, they were itchy for over a month.
    Well done on sorting your viewing silver-oldie, glad there was someone who knew what they were doing.

I emptied a tin of change yesterday so will drag £65 down to the bank later and return a library book whilst I'm there.

Dinner last night was a courgette based stir fry, I found one on the allotment that must have been hiding, it's halfway to being a marrow! Has anyone made courgette chutney? I've looked up some recipes online but wondered if anyone has a tried and tested recipe.

Have a good Wednesday, take care. XX
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 11th Jul 18, 7:53 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Silver Oldie, if you need a "bigger button" type phone there is one called a (i think) a Dorro, I had a look at them in tesco phone shop last week and the buttons are spaced a bit more, my dad has shaky hands so went to look, I think there is a very basic version and a more techy one, not sure if you can use apps on it , but something to consider if you struggle with actually using it.
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jul 18, 8:02 AM
    • 590 Posts
    • 8,477 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Silver Oldie, if you need a "bigger button" type phone there is one called a (i think) a Dorro, I had a look at them in tesco phone shop last week and the buttons are spaced a bit more, my dad has shaky hands so went to look, I think there is a very basic version and a more techy one, not sure if you can use apps on it , but something to consider if you struggle with actually using it.
    Originally posted by whiteguineapig
    Thank you
    Will have a look at the weekend. I would like some thing with apps. Mainly for getting free coffee (Greggs, cafe Nero) I also like to use cashback sites.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Jul 18, 8:08 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 31,246 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Itís cooler here again today and we have had a little rain overnight, nowhere near what we need but welcome all the same.
    Need to get out to send a parcel off and pick up some more birdseed, despite all the insects and stripping the heads off the cereal in the field next to the cottage they still look for the feeders to be full.
    Will get over to see the lovely Lu later but obviously make sure Iím home in time for the footie

Hugs to all with worries and cares, take care folks x
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 11th Jul 18, 8:27 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 1,692 Thanks
    mehefin
    Morning all from Mehefinland

Hugs and spoons to those in need.

Been mia for a little while but lurking as usual. I am now officially an old f*rt having had my Beatle birthday recently. much jollification in mehefin household at my expense

Now I'm hopeless with names s forgive me but I did pick up on a couple of things :
    Mrs M has had the dreaded C twice, 15 years apart, and although it was pretty traumatic ( particularly the first time) modern science and medical procedure mean it isn't always the death sentence that the word conjures up. She is fine now if a little lopsided IYKWIM.

The other thing that brought back memories was of the poor soul how died from inhaling vomit whilst inebriated. The same thing happened when was I college to a lovely chap. The whole place was devastated and it gave me a healthy respect for alcohol as a result. I do indulge but in moderation ( mostly)!

The mares are hating this weather, can't get in away from the flies quick enough when I open the barn for them. Don't know how many horseflies I have despatched to meet their maker.. just wish He had never dreamed them up.

Terrific news about the cavers and the rescue. Having done a little many years ago I can really appreciate what a miracle it is that they have been rescued. Such a shame the Seal died in attempting to do good.

All for now

Mehefin
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,131 Posts
    • 17,394 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning all,

Thanks again everyone for your love advice. You're all practically extended family to me, so your thoughts and advice really are appreciated.

Yesterday I was first in work and last out. This in turn meant that by the time i got home and made my dinner, it was almost 8pm so I didn't really feel like doing much (gardening).

Tonight I suspect will be much the same. Spicy crab omelette for dinner (Jamie Oliver recipe)

HH - Clotted cream I hope? My favourite!!!
    Nelski - How random haha!! Glad you enjoyed yourself.
    TA - Don't be silly and don't beat yourself up about it. We're all here to try and help
    RedRuby - Very awks indeed. I promise to take my time.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 11th Jul 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 22,816 Thanks
    snoozer
    TA, I'm glad you managed to sleep better and I'm glad your mum is starting to be sorted out Gers.

Speky, Just my twopennorth but DD, DS and their friends all pay their own way on dates. I think life is so expensive that paying for two puts a strain on any finances. Because she asked you out I think you could quite easily say that you will pay for your own meal then you have set a precedent if you decide t ask her out again.

Re: bites, I am itching all over from numerous bites I got in the van the night before last. I came over to the Yorkshire house for the night, mainly to pick up the roofing bill, ouch. I also want to do a thorough clean because we left in a hurry last time so it got a cat's lick and a promise. Then I'm off to meet DH at the camper van at a new site in Scarborough. It's supposed to be a bit cooler over there so hopefully we'll be able to do some walking.
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 11th Jul 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    Silver Oldie, you may be too young for a Dorro lol
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Jul 18, 8:54 AM
    • 2,320 Posts
    • 23,895 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you one.

Short and sweet this morning, I am off into the big city, well the outskirts any way.

Much cooler again this morning, the heat did ramp up at lunchtime, so the afternoon indoors for me.

Cleaners came and did their usual good job. Need OH to keep it tidy now.

Gers, pleased you Mum is a bit better, hope they get her heart rate under control. I have a pacemaker as you know, if it comes to that she should pick up fairly soon. Its a quick procedure done under local anaesthetic? spelling!!!

Right offsky while its stoll cool.
  • archived user
    Morning all,

Gers my lovely StepFather had a pacemaker for many years. He had it fitted on the day I gave birth to Prodigal. On one hand I was celebrating the birth of my beautiful baby boy but on the other hand worried sick about my dear little Welshman. Loved that man I did.

Grump is still working on Dandy. It was cleaned to within an inch of its life yesterday, an exterior wash and brake adjustment is planned for today. He promises me the tyres will be moved today. He doesn't get fed till they've gone.

Celebrating the news of the children and their coach that were rescued yesterday and I'm hoping for a double celebration tonight when our beloved country beats the Croatians at football. I'll be there cheering them on from my armchair...not understanding the rules of course and I haven't got a clue what a yellow card from the ref means but I'll be watching nonetheless.

Mehefin belated birthday greetings.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 11th Jul 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 22,537 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

Thanks Holly for starting us off.My back is a bit better today thank you ,just hurts when I sneeze,not great when you have hay fever.In fact I think that might be how I did it -I'll keep on taking the tablets

Glad you're a bit brighter today TA
    Mehefin belated birthday greetings.It is my friend who was recently diagnosed with BCancer,so it was good to have your thoughts,thanks.

My friend emailed yesterday and sounded a bit brighter
    Hugs to those being bitten by bugs,including Lulu and mare.Even midges make me itch for a week,and where we used to live was a nightmare for horseflies
    Nelski glad you had a good 1st day back. My bananas are going all speckly in the heat ....

Redruby- long boring story but the 6 cottages used to have a track at the back and over the years the various residents have fenced their own section off,its pretty often done here in the NW.Apparently we all owned our own section but had to permit access to neighbours so the fences all have a gate, it was like that when we bought ours 4 years ago. At some point the council had started calling the track a highway but have been happy enough with how it was.Now our nextdoor neighbour has fallen out with his ndn on the other side who has the end cottage and more land and parks his car there. Our nd neighbour has complained to the council because he is saying he doesnt have free access and wants it all opening up as a 'back street' and its all a bit of a vendetta. Noone else agrees with this obviously so we got together and have been studying deeds/documents etc. and have a solicitor to do a letter as the next step is going to the court .Who in their right mind would want to upset 4 sets of neighbours & lose thousands off the value of your house to get one over on his
    Sorry,you did ask ......

My hairdresser is coming shortly,and I have to pick DGS up from nursery school this afternoon.I hope he goes to bed earlyish so we can all watch the match,he does tend to when he's been at school,but he does like football.Come on England!! Enjoy your day & great news about the Thai boys xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
  • archived user
    A second set of tyres have arrived...just chucked over the gate. Must have been strong, the side gate is 6ft high and the tyres are for a 4 wheel drive.

Anyway, they haven't got as far as the door to come in and the other 2 have been wheeled out to join them. Just need to shift a pile of stuff on the tumble dryer and I'll be happy.

TA so glad your feeling a little better today. Take each day as it comes.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,679Posts Today

9,307Users online

Martin's Twitter