Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 10th Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    • 79Posts
    • 317Thanks
    Smurphington
    3 square meals vs 5-6 small ones
    • 10th Jul 18, 9:08 PM
    3 square meals vs 5-6 small ones 10th Jul 18 at 9:08 PM
    Just curious which you prefer? I know traditionally the 3 square meals a day model was how families ate and there was virually no snacking. However some people now believe smaller meals are healthier and prevent over eating and blood sugar issues . I tend to think we are probably all different but I think I would probably eat less on the 3 meals a day version ( and it might save money?
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 26,757 Posts
    • 56,960 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:19 PM
    Who actually eats 3 full meals a day in this sedentary era? Don't most people have a single main meal and supplement with a much lighter meal (think: sandwich / soup / salad variety) and (unnecessary and copious) snacks?

I can understand the need to refuel when the nation relied on manual labour and hard graft, but in those days meals needed to be calorie-dense, which meant physically a lot more on a plate because there was a lot less processed food about.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • hazzie123
    • By hazzie123 10th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 3,319 Thanks
    hazzie123
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    I do omad now which for me is fasting for 21-22 hours then I have an eating window of 2-3 hours where I consume my daily calories. I had reached a point where I just got sick of planning,thinking about food and even eating it. This is so much more convenient now. Dr Jason Fung on YouTube is a good source of information if anyone is interested.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 10th Jul 18, 10:36 PM
    • 4,232 Posts
    • 9,311 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:36 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 10:36 PM
    I definitely need 5-6 small meals. I would be feel very unwell with 3 meals a day.

Following on from previous post, depending on lifestyle. My work is 30% desk bound 70% on the floor working, which consists of lifting/carrying/walking.

Breakfast is boiled egg on toast
    Mid morning - Go Ahead or something similar
    Staff meal - Roast/Mince Meal/help yourself salad
    Mid afternoon - Tinned fruit
    Tea Cheese and biscuits
    Supper Sharing bowl of snacks
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 10th Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 5,114 Posts
    • 11,631 Thanks
    Money maker
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 10th Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    Personally I think it's much harder to overeat on 3 meals a day rather than constantly grazing or snacking. We all convince ourselves that providing it's 'healthy' then it's ok to eat as much as possible and never let our tummies get empty.

Sadly you only need to look at the number of oversized people around these days to realise they're kidding themselves. Generally speaking, there's a huge majority of supersizeds around at the moment and sadly many of them don't realise they are so big.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 11th Jul 18, 5:15 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    Smurphington
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:15 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 5:15 AM
    I suppose it depends what your lifestyle and health dictates. I find frequent snacking makes me hungrier, I'm not sure why! I do have some issues with digestion and usually they suggest grazing is good for this but I find my body needs the break and I get a bit stressed out with having to plan snacks to bring to work and then worrying if they are healthy - first world problems indeed
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 16,415 Posts
    • 140,318 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:49 AM
    I have one main meal a day plus a light breakfast and lunch mid morning I may have a cuppa and mid afternoon a coffee but I rarely eat after 7 at night and it suits me I don't often have time for 5-6 meals a day so breakfast is around 7ish lunch around 1.00p.m. and dinner about 6.30p.m.
    If I feel peckish I may have a piece of fruit in the evening but rarely Only on Tuesday nights do I eat later as its quiz night and we get a small meal there Last night it was pasta with bacon bits about 8.15 but I hadn't eaten since lunchtime and only had a coffee late afternoon.

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 64,943 Posts
    • 381,227 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:58 AM
    If somebody put 3 meals in front of me each day, I'd be happy to eat all that I'd soon be the size of a small planet though!

I just "graze" as there's just me and I don't like cooking .... so it's all about dashing into the kitchen and getting out in the shortest time with something on a plate.

Yesterday I had two bananas to use up .... so I had chocolate banana custard twice .... I also had 2 sausage rolls and 2 pieces of toast.

So that was eating 4x.
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 11th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 649 Posts
    • 4,174 Thanks
    juliettet
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    • 11th Jul 18, 10:11 AM
    I find i'm better with 3 meals. If I snack I don't enjoy my food.
    Generally breakfast is muesli & a banana or toast with peanut butter or an egg.
    Lunch is a large sandwich and yoghurt.
    Dinner always finishes with a piece of cake or small amount of chocolate.Like Jackie O, I try to eat before 7.
    At the weekend I sometimes have something with a coffee if I am out but that counts as lunch.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jul 18, 10:13 AM
    • 26,757 Posts
    • 56,960 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yesterday I had two bananas to use up .... so I had chocolate banana custard twice .... I also had 2 sausage rolls and 2 pieces of toast.

So that was eating 4x.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    All of it was "beige", and none of it particularly filling! Where's the f&v?

perhaps I'm getting a bit fibre-obsessed in middle age. Slinks off to find a carrot
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jul 18, 11:09 AM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,557 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Who actually eats 3 full meals a day in this sedentary era? Don't most people have a single main meal and supplement with a much lighter meal (think: sandwich / soup / salad variety) and (unnecessary and copious) snacks?

I can understand the need to refuel when the nation relied on manual labour and hard graft, but in those days meals needed to be calorie-dense, which meant physic.ally a lot more on a plate because there was a lot less processed food about.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I have breakfast - at least 3 or 4 different types of fruit with Greek yoghurt or granola in summer, porridge in winter.

Lunch is soup (often home-made), pate and toast, olive tapenade with bread, small salad with olives, large flat mushrooms with stilton, cheese toasties or a sandwich that is usually accompanied by crisps.

Dinner can be anything - meat, fish, pasta, full roast, home-made burgers & home-made wedges, home-made Indian or Chinese. During the winter the slow cooker is often on with stews.

Not sure if that is considered 3 full meals a day.
    But we don't snack between meals.

It might be a sedentary era but our life - even though we're both retired - isn't sedentary.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Jul 18, 11:14 AM
    • 25,143 Posts
    • 65,799 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Two meals a day for us - breakfast type food around 1pm and evening meal around 6.30pm.

Maybe some fruit in between and just coffee in the morning.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 11th Jul 18, 11:26 AM
    • 64,943 Posts
    • 381,227 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    All of it was "beige", and none of it particularly filling! Where's the f&v?

perhaps I'm getting a bit fibre-obsessed in middle age. Slinks off to find a carrot
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I happen to love beige food

F&V ... two bananas!

F&V is problematical really, have to find/buy it in small quantities, or put up with it cluttering up the freezer for months - and you have to fancy it. It often goes off before you fancy it.

Right now ... F&V in my house is: tomatoes, for sandwiches - and frozen peas... and lots of tins of baked beans.
    • maman
    • By maman 11th Jul 18, 4:25 PM
    • 18,731 Posts
    • 111,867 Thanks
    maman
    I happen to love beige food
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Unfortunately, most of us would eat it given the chance. I adore spring rolls and crisps but I try to only have them as occasional treats.

I really believe that ( unless you're very disciplined or not interested in food) grazing and snacking is largely responsible for the obesity crisis.

I don't have a problem if I'm at home. I can have 3 meals (one course only) and no snacks. It's when I go out that problems arise. If you need something eat it's all bread and pastry or deep fried stuff or crisps or chocolate. Even some 'healthy' salads are drenched in mayo. I think it's getting worse as restaurants pad out the meals with carbs to keep the protein costs down.

I tend to go for a Subway salad bowl or Pret salad where you add your own dressing.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jul 18, 6:39 PM
    • 16,415 Posts
    • 140,318 Thanks
    JackieO
    The subway chicken salad bowl is lovely I had quite a bit of that when I was in NYC on holiday, often I wasn't too sure what the salad veg was, but it tasted jolly nice and their helpings are huge
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total end of October since Jan 307.43 15th November 19.80 first shop of the month
    • JIL
    • By JIL 11th Jul 18, 11:51 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 20,857 Thanks
    JIL
    I don't really enjoy breakfast, I like to be up for a couple of hours before I eat something. If I eat when I get up I feel sluggish and lethargic. So I do what suits me.
    I tend to go to work about 9.30, then around 10:45 I start eating. I take food into work which could be yogurt, muesli and fruit, individual cheese portions, nuts, bananas, crisps, soup, crackers, sandwiches, wraps, fruit cake, hard boiled egg, scones, hummus, carrot. I then tend to snack on this at intervals. It's usually gone by 2pm. Then I have my dinner at home between 6 and 7.

At weekends I tend to have a coffee mid morning, no food and a dinner at the usual time.
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 12th Jul 18, 1:35 AM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 8,738 Thanks
    tori.k
    How do people find the time to eat 5/6 meals in a day.
    I've never been one for breakfast and I work a very physical job with only a 30min break and find food sits to heavy for me so I eat a meal when I get home and copious amounts of coffee, I have a food window of about 1.5hrs or it becomes to late to eat. I love food but do struggle to fit it in at times.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Mortgage Free (stage 3) 140000/ 4389
    Save 12k in 2018 #76 5000/6000
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 12th Jul 18, 12:02 PM
    • 10,878 Posts
    • 119,647 Thanks
    LameWolf
    As I don't actually enjoy eating, the prospect of having to do it 5 or 6 times a day would distress me greatly. Three times is asking a lot of me. I do try and have a bit of breakfast ( a small handful of bran flakes, half a banana and a splosh of semi-skimmed milk - but I can't always face it, I have to admit) and then usually just have a small helping of dinner at about 17:30 - 18:00.
    I don't snack because I don't enjoy it.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,553Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter